Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 9mm VS 45 ACP

Boolit Grand Master
    What Fred said.

Boolit Grand Master
    He was lucky. One thing he didn't have was a lot of ammo and had to switch revolvers and finally to a knife. Any single stack pistols and a spare magazine was more ammo and more reload capability than he had.

Banned

I am certain the 9mm ammo I use will solve any problem I encounter. I am sure the .45 ACP will solve any problem I encounter. My main 9mm bullet is the Ranch Dog 135 grain RFP. Per Ranch Dog:

" I have no doubt in the ability of the bullet in self defense shooting. I have killed a number of "man" size feral hogs with shots through the rib cage, behind the shoulder and the bullet does what it was intended to do."

I also use +P+ Underwood ammunition that is north of 450 ft lbs

…this'll never end…that's why I switched to 'hand grenades' and a camo T-shirt…you won't even see me coming!

OS OK...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    …this'll never end…that's why I switched to 'hand grenades' and a camo T-shirt…you won't even see me coming!

OS OK...
    You're one of the few people on this thread that gets it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Who the hell shoots ball ammo for SD.......?
    32 acp.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that the sun shines brighter on 45 owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    You're one of the few people on this thread that gets it.
    Ya think? …

charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    I do carry 45 acp and 9mm pistols but 16 rounds vs 8 rounds makes you think which is better to carry.

You answered your own question
    it takes 2/9mm to = 1,45acp
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

The average handgun shooter can't shoot very well, and 9mm at least helps these folks by taking a lot of anticipation/flinch/trigger slap issues out of the mix. A .45 in the right hands will create a marginally faster bleed out, but couple tenths of an inch of extra diameter in the wound channel don't mean much when you botch the shot multiple inches away from where you wanted it to go.

Capacity? If you can't solve the problem in a fat half-dozen, you probably won't live long enough to fire more, and the fat grip of the average 15 rounder often compromises a shooter's ability to grip and manipulate the pistol properly. The 1911 got this right - it fits your fist and has about all the rounds you're likely to have time for.

Foot pounds of energy as a stopping power gauge? It's B.S. Move past it.

The main item that kicked off the "9mm is inferior" mindset was the lightweight, high-speed HP's of the mid 1980's that didn't penetrate well. That problem got solved in the early '90's. The current product is basically duplicating the old 158 grain FBI .38 +P's - and those worked.

So what we need is for Glock and others to start making duty-size, BUT SINGLE STACK 9mm's of about 9-11 round capacity that actually fit the human hand. The midgets, women, and pogues will be able to shoot them and still have a tool that effectively does the job.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    What started out as yet another 9mm vers 45acp thread AKA P**is envy thread. Both will do the job in the right hands. Shot placement of multiple rounds = damage that probably cannot be repaired in time to save the attacker boo hoo. I will always have my favorite and as I mentioned in a prior post it is my 1911 officers. My second carry gun is my Glock model 23 which I normally have setup for the standard 40 cal but I do have a aftermarker 9mm lone wolf barrel and two Glock 19 mags to complete the caliber change over. My thoughts after reading all the posts have changed a little. I cannot say that a 45 in the wrong hands is a good choice but I can say that a 9mm or 40 in the right hands = success. Shots placed where they need to be = a life saved. Now to the +P and man stopper ammunition.... I don't believe in it for several reasons. First of all the added possible recoil from the normal ammunition may be more than some can handle and therefore the possibility of shots being placed either off target or target missed completely. Secondly, if one is faced with putting down an attacker and possible charges are contemplated by the law enforcement are they going to view the man stopper AKA maximum stopping power ammunition as a factor in trying to hang your tail?

Boolit Grand Master
    Think of a .45 as a bowling ball, the 9mm as a baseball. LOTS more wallop with .45

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234