RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: ? NOE molds

Boolit Bub

? NOE molds

For years I have only used Lyman and Lee molds, usually not many problems with them, but we all know some cast much better than others. Want a new mold for my 300blkout, was looking at the 155gr..311 Lee and the NOE 150 version of the same bullet. The newer Lee's seem much improved over the older ones. The NOE's look great. For those that have the NOE mold, does it cast much more precisely? It cost quite a bit more than the Lee but I don't mind the price jump if the quality of the finished boolit is worth it. Any preferences as to 2,4,or 5 cavity on the NOE? I try to save money where I can, but don't mind paying more if the mold quality is that much of a jump. Also would you recommend using the Gator checks they sell or do the Hornadys work just as well, as I can get them locally. Thanks!

I would not compare an NOE mold to Lee, the NOE gives much better quality of bullets , I have the mold you are looking at, I have used it in every thing but the .300 BLK that I got it for,

as for there gas checks I have never tried them

Boolit Master
    I don't think you would be disappointed with a NOE mould even though the LEEs will cast decent bullets(usually). I've used Gator checks and they are fine. If you're ordering a mould you're already paying shipping and might get the Gators cheaper. Either checks are fine.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a go on the NOE. Two or four cavity,one more consistant than the other?

I have several Lee and Lyman molds. I have more NOE molds than either of the other brands. I think that makes my point.

Boolit Master
    I get 4 cavs. I don't know why I don't get 5s. Seems like 4 is enough I guess and I like the production over a 2.

Boolit Grand Master
    NOE is top shelf. Others make very good molds and they would perform well for you, I'm sure. NOE is head and shoulders above the others.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies, I just ordered a 4 cavity mold, top punch, gas checks and some Carnauba Red lube. If I like the lube I will order a mess of it directly from White Label.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    go with 5 cavity, they hold the most alloy and that IMHO helps keep them hot. IMHO you will not be able to tell a difference from any of the cavities, they are works of art.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

NOE is top notch and their customer service is above and beyond.

Boolit Bub
    Ordered my mold on Sunday evening, recieved it today. Unbelievable, Provo Utah to St. Louis, Mo. in less than three days. Based on service alone I will be ordering more from NOE. On the other hand, right before I placed the order to NOE, I placed one to Grafs in Mexico, Mo., about an hour or so from my house. It was not even shipped until today, to be delivered tomorrow. Four days to go maybe 90 miles? By the way the mold IS a work of art. I can tell from the clean and smooth machine work it is certainly several levels above a Lee mold. Not knocking Lee, for the money spent they have supplied me with thousands of boolits over the years. I remember years ago looking thru Herters and Freeland catalogs, carefully filling out the paper order forms, inserting a check, put it in the mail and then wait two or three weeks for the order to arrive. Times have sure changed, thankfully, some things are better than they used to be.

I'm A Honcho!
    I can whole heartedly recommend NOE molds.
    I have a stable full and each one casts like a dream!!
    You will also never beat noe's service Al is a top notch stand up guy.
    If I need a new mold I always check with Al first.
    Not saying the other custom mold makers are not good I have many different kinds but Al's are my preference.

Just my 2 cents

Wasalmonslayer

Boolit Grand Master
    The two I have are as close to manufactured perfection as it gets. NOE gets a big thumbs up from the Frog!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats on your new NOE mould, rhill! Follow the enclosed break-in instruction and you'll be casting awesome boolits someday soon. Like Tazman I have several other good moulds but more NOE than any others. I finally got around to using the Gator checks Al sells; my next mould order will include a few thousand more. Seems they fit better than the Hornady's I've been using for years.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

A buddy of mine is a longtime caster, mostly Lyman and RCBS moulds. He borrowed my NOE 311008 recently, his first experience with a NOE mould. I suspect he'll be buying a NOE or two pretty soon...or borrowing another one of mine, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

rhill, NOE also has gator brand gas checks, same as me (that I sell) it's a wise move to get some from him along with a mould.

Boolit Bub
    Blammer-- I did order 1000 .30 cal checks along with the mold. I think I like them just a bit better than the Hornadys, and they are quite a bit cheaper too! I just used up my Hornadys and got into the bag of Gators. At this rate I will need more soon, your prices can't be beat. I see your out of .30's now, I am sure you will have more by the time I am ready to order more.

Boolit Master
    I bought my first NOE last month. Just bought my second. Now looking at my 3rd. I've been casting since 1977. NOE molds are the best!

Boolit Master
    NOE is way ahead of Lyman because they are sized correctly. Lymans always seem to cast too small. NOEs are sized to cast of WW alloy not Lyman #2 or linotype. LEEs aren't bad but NOEs will hold their value and probably last longer. I have 20 NOEs in 4 cavity aluminum or 2 cavity brass. 4 cavity brass is too heavy for me. I sold a beautiful MP 4 cavity brass because it was too heavy to cast for long periods of time. A brass mold is heavier than an iron mold!
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!