RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: reloading for GLocks??

reloading for GLocks??

Are reloads still a problem for the glocks? Is this unsupported cartridge issue for certain calibers or gens? My book only specifies not to reload for glocks in 40 s&w. At first I was told it was a leading issue but alot of what i load are copper coated. what are you'r guy's thoughts and experience?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Hey friend. How old is your Glock? It seems like most of the problems with exploding brass and leaded bores happened with the older ones, made before the mid 90's; especially the .40 S&W. I shoot boolits in my generation 4 Glock 19 and 26 in 9mm, and my Glock 42 .380. I find that they don't have any more problems than pistols with conventional rifling. If your boolits are under .356 diameter, too soft, the lube is not up to the task, or the charge is too high you'll have problems with leading in any of them. You ought to check out the thread "The Truth about Glocks and Cast" in the handguns section, lots of good info there.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Any gun can go kaboom, and most semi autos have unsupported chambers. The problem is the high pressures in an unsupported chamber, back off those pressures, and there should be no problems. One advantage of cast is lower pressure for the same velocity. Push the limits, and sooner or later a gun will either shoot loose, or kaboom.

I believe that we hear about less 40S&W kabooms is that the industry has made the cases thicker at the base. Keep those pressures below 30K, use proper sized bullets, keep the barrel clean, and use a case gauge there should be no problem.

Boolit Master
    I use aftermarket barrels for my G22 and G35.I have both 40 and 9mm barrels for then.When loading high volume the price of the barrel is not so much. My G19 Gen3 9MM works good with the Lee120 TC powder coated sized to .357 and factory barrel. My G21SF gen3 works well with lee 200gr swc lube 50/50 alox/beeswax and factory barrel.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I should add that I do most of my 9mm cast shooting with the Storm Lake barrels in my Glocks. I find that I get better accuracy with them shooting boolits, not that the OEM barrels shoot poorly or anything. My Glock 42 .380 shoots superbly with boolits in the OEM barrel. Even if an aftermarket tube was available for the 42 I doubt I would buy one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have a glock 19 gen 4. It seems to be extremely picky on what I run through it. a generous charge of unique with a 124 grain copper coated bullet is the only combo iv found to run so far.

Boolit Buddy
    My Glocks (17, 19, 19C and 42) only see reloads using Extreme or Powerbond Plated bullets on top of a charge of Unique. Reloading for Glocks is not that much different in my book than any other gun. Just use normal reloading data and practices and you should be fine. I did shoot quite a bit of factory jacketed bullets when they were new because couldn't get the components to reload during the "crazy time". While I do not encourage anyone to shoot lead in a stock Glock, my 19 sees a healthy dose of the lead LEE356-125LRN boolits and they perform as well as the factory. Just have to watch for leading/lead buildup. Course I clean my guns after each range session anyway so that is not a problem. I keep powder charges to a modest level, evidently my alloy is not too hard/too soft and my lube is sufficient to prevent leading. I love cast boolits and reloading. Wouldn't keep a gun I couldn't cast for.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Glock 30 in 45 acp. The factory barrel left a bulge in the case when I reloaded for it. I don't remember if the jacketed reloads resulted in a bulged case or not. I know it did with lead. It might have with jacketed too, I just can't remember. I swapped that barrel out for a Wolf barrel and never had a hiccup. It dropped right in with no hassle. No more bulge case either. I honestly couldn't tell you how many thousands of 230 lrn went through that pistol. Sold it and bought a Kimber about 2 years ago. I didn't have plans to sale it but I never shot it once I got the Kimber.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master
    I've a 2nd gen 23, used plated 180 grain bullets for my reloaded ammo with no issues. Fired about 400 rounds through a weekend self defense class a few years ago, no problems.

I used WST powder, not a max load. Functioned fine. I think the heavier head allows for more reliable function. Lighter bullets require more powder for better cycling.

Clean your barrel after each use. It is easy to not do so as our components are 'clean' and can allow one to put it off until the next time. No reason not to give it a quick cleaning, especially if you carry it.

Vendor Sponsor

I've throated a good number of aftermarket barrels for Glock from guys who want to seat out longer and especially those who want to size to .358." It really depends on what size your handloads are how successful they will feed. Or not. Sizing to .358" very often requires the barrel to be throated to handle it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.