Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 223 load

Boolit Buddy

223 load

Just a dumb question. I'm having trouble finding load info for plain old 55 gr. fmj. Seems about everything but. As far as load weight (charge) 55gr. bullet is 55 gr. bullet, right?
    Thanks in advance.
    By the way I'm loading for ar15 (m4) 556 nato chamber, 1/9 twist.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, 55 is 55 but you still need to work up your loads as always.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

My go to powders for 52 grain through 60 grain jacketed bullets in the .223/5.56mm are Winchester's 748 or Hodgdon's H335. They are reportedly the same and my loading data supports that supposition to some extent, but I don't transpose data between the two.

In AR pltatforms I use GI brass and in my varmint rifles I use WW brass. Small rifle primers from all the major brands all seem to work well with the ball powders in the small .223 case.

If you choose either 748 or H335, you'll be plenty safe with a starting load of 25.0 grains of either powder for about 2,800 fps out of your M4 carbine. As always, work up slowly to find your best accuracy and function in you M4.

Maximum loads listed in the manuals are generally about 27 grains of these powders, but your rifle will tell you what is safe, so follow all the usual provisos when working up. It's easy to get over 3,200 fps from 20" ARs, but I would expect about 3,100 or from your 16" barrel.

Good luck with your project. I've been loading the .223 for varmints, plinking and match shooting for over 40 years now and I find it a very easy cartridge to get good results from.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-24-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Scarf: W748 is the same as BLC-2 not H335.

It is odd that the OP can't find data for 55 gr bullets as every manual in existence has it, as it is the most common bullet for that round there is.

What manuals have you looked in? If you don't have manuals you need to get some as using internet data can be dangerous. Or you can go to the Powder Makers Websites, all of which have load data for just about every cartridge known to man.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I would go here. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    For the 55gr bullet look at the powders like W748, I like IMR3031 and REL10, but you can find lots of good AR powders.

Boolit Master

no, a 55gr bullet isnt a 55gr bullet, there are differences. that said so long as your not running a top end load, you can use start data for another 55gr as a starting point.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. I have hogdon guide and Lee's book. Lee lumps all 55 gr. together, hogdon lists 4 or 5 different bullets. The 2 loads for fmj are really low velocity. Heck, one used trail boss powder! One website I looked at listed h335 as the most accurate with that weight bullet, but they were all flat base. Fmj has kind of a boat tail base. Stuff like this is what led to my question.

In Remembrance

25.6 grains H335 behind the FMJ BT 55 gr bullit is the accuracy load in my AR. Use this data at your own risk. (disclaimer) YRMV
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Grand Master

What is your intended use? Target, plinking, hunting, etc?

What powders do you have on hand?

yes, you can use data for other 55 gr bullets as a STARTING load with STARTING LOAD DATA. Work up from their. No, not all 55 gr bullets are the same. Length, specifically bearing length plays a large role in pressures.

Ive had excellent success using Benchmark and 8208 XBR in my AR loadings.

Boolit Buddy
    Main use of this load would be plinking.
    As fo rifle powders, I have h335, a little bit of h322 (very good with 69 gr. bullet) a little r15, and a little imr3031.
    Was mostly loading for my M1A, 30-30, and bench ar15. When I finished this m4 build, I got a bunch of hornady 55gr. fmj w/cannelure for loading.

Banned

I run 24 grains of 335 with a 60 and 25 with a 55 for a MAX load. I'm more interested in absolute reliability then I am the last fps. I like a slightly lower pressure with them.

Boolit Master

There are a bunch of powders available for 223 in an AR platform from easy to load (ball) to alittle more difficult (stick) depending on your loading equipment (prog/single). For the AR platform with the lighter bullets and accurracy in mind I've use Benchmark, 748. For general plicking/off hand practice TAC has been easily thrown in a volume measure at a good accurate velocity but not maxed out. The AR really starts to shine with the heavies. Personally, I like 77SMK with H322 or for a bolt gun the 80s and the 75 Amax which will not fit in a magazine.

Boolit Buddy
    My best so far, with heavier bullets was I believe a 69 gr. vmax ahead of 322 powder (don't remember charge at the moment. At about 80 yards first 2 shots were touching each other and I felt myself "pull" on the third, but could still cover the group with a dime.

Boolit Buddy
    Benchmark and H335 is my AR powders I use.

Boolit Master

I use Ramshot TAC. For a 55 gr BT-FMJ the starting load is 23.2 gr and the max load is 25.8. Start at the bottom load and work up till you find your sweet spot. TAC meters great. Once I get the measure set, I get right on weights. I do still check every once in a while to make sure nothing has changed.