Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Speed of Lubing on a Star

Boolit Master

Speed of Lubing on a Star

I have owned a Star lubri-sizer for 30+ years. Just yesterday I decided to time how long it took to size and lube bullets.
    I was sizing 158g SWC .38 bullets. I was sizing nose first through a .3582 sizing die. I let the heater heat the Carnuaba red up to proper temperature before I started sizing. My Star is stock :no bullet feeder,no air pressure, standard handle.
    I sized and lubed 50 bullets in 2 min. 15 seconds. I also did 100 bullets in twice that at 4 min. 30 seconds.
    I had the bullets loose in a container,feed them by hand, and let them drop in a bucket under the sizer.
    At these speeds 1200 bullets per hour is possible. That is good enough for my requirements as is.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    That beats me but like you i find my star more than adequate. My best has averaged around 850 per hour. Not that fast anymore but not shooting as much now.
    We'll done.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I agree on those speeds. I never do more than 200 at a pop, but I like that it only takes me 12± minutes.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

I have the feeder and 20 sumthin tubes.
    speed is relative.
    1. how fast can you operate the thing?
    2. how fast can the wife and 1-2 of the kids re-fill the tubes?

the answer to number 2 is:
    not as fast as you can lube-size them.

filling 9 of the tubes and lube-sizing them myself takes about half an hour and nets @ 500 boolits.

Boolit Master
    I bought one of Lathemaster's roller handles and I was surprised at my increase in production let alone the comfort over the stock handle. Like you I used to average 1,000 per 40 minutes. With the roller handle I can do that in 20 to 25 minutes but I also have the air feed so I only have to break stride when refilling the lube tube.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure how long it takes but when I get the coffee can full of 9s I'm tired of doing it . The pile of 45s go much faster , but gets empty faster to .

Boolit Master

Used a Lyman 450 for several years, upgrading what needed and rebuilt the thing once due to lube leaking out the bottom, correcting that only by anchoring it to an aluminum plate with a big "O" ring. That stopped most of the leak. Then I acquired a Star and my lubing changed dramatically. Couldn't be happier ... until I acquired a 2nd Star. Now things are even better! Do not use air feed on the lube nor boolit feed except by hand. Really a great improvement. Big Boomer

Boolit Buddy
    If everything goes smoothly I can lube up to 2000 bullets in an hour with my Star. Thats with air cylinder upgrade, roller handle and feeder. I'm manually feeding the drop tube with my left hand and cranking the handle with my right. My record in one day is 5000 boolits. I felt it in my shoulder the next day The bullet feeder/collator is on my whish list together with a Lube Master!

Sent fra min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    About 800-1000 per hour here too. No upgrades.

It is the main reason that PC has little attraction for me. If I have to size anyway, why not lube at the same time and do it all in one step? PC has other advantages but speed is not one of them.

I did not notice any performance increase when I tried powder coating. I have gone back to traditional lube. I have been playing around with a Mr Bullet feeder collator and my star. I could not get nose down drop to work consistently so am now trying base first sizing in my star. Seems to be working. Just had Lathsmith make me some hollow punches and used epoxy to custom form the nose profile.

Boolit Grand Master

Speed of Lubing on a Star

I do have an air cylinder on mine. As long as the tubes are full I can crank them out. This wasn't a neck breaking by any means. After all I was making a video

It works out to around 1500 an hour if I could keep a pace like this.
    http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dra...DDE1C.mp4.html