Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Period scope on a Winchester 1886 thread

Period scope on a Winchester 1886 thread

With my failing eyesight I would like to have at least one of my rifles scoped for my elder years so I have contacted Leatherwood Hi-Lux about their scope. They say it fits only angle ejects. HUH? They did say I could side mount the scope and drill the receiver. Not on my rifle! lol
    Didn't they have scope on lever-actions years ago?

Email from Leatherwood. Very nice people by the way.
    The problem with trying to mount the long Malcolm scope on an 1886 Winchester is the top ejection. There is no feasible way to off set the scope to the left to allow the empty cartridge case to clear.

If you are looking to put a period correct scope on this rifle, take a look at the shorter Malcolm model. We have developed a mount for solid receiver, top ejection Winchester models such as the Model 1992 and Model 1994. The front mount utilizes the rear sight dovetail to off-set the scope slightly to the left, which also requires attachment of a rear base that will allow the scope to be off-set just enough to allow the empty case to clear. I feel
    this mount could be made to work on the 1886...but would require driling and tapping of the receiver to attach the rear mount.

Let me know if you are willing to have this done. And, truthfully, the shorter Malcolm is a late 1880s design, and is more appropriate on your rifle than the the 1870s style long Malcolm. The shorter scope now comes in either 3x or 6x magnification.
    http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/index-malcolm.html

Last edited by Just Duke; 05-10-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    LeatherWood is right...I have never seen or heard of a 1886 being scoped...even with side mounts...
    You can (as they told you) scope a Win. 94 angle eject like the one shown in the picture or scope a Marlin...
    Another option for scoping your 86 would have a custom "scout" base made and mount your IER scope forward of your reciever....To funky for a 86 by my eye...

I agree Nrut, that would be way to funky for me too.

Any info on this? Kinda late to the party put im looking for the exact same setup as the picture but on my original 1886?

Boolit Master
    Kev18, winchester made offset adapters to offset their A5 scopes for use on levers and clip loading bolt rifles, but I can imagine they were not popular, and would be very hard to find. I lucked onto a set mounted on ,of all things, a Savage bolt action .22 ! They were well illustrated in a book I have, but I've not yet located it . I think Malcolm made mounts to offset the scope for levers, but i have not seen any reproduction mounts like the originals. I think offset bases could be made for the new Malcolm mounts , but would be expensive, or very time consuming to make yourself.

Banned
    You can scope any top eject lever gun with a Scout scope setup.

Hi-Lux (who makes the Malcom/Leatherwood scopes) also sells an offset mount.

https://hi-luxoptics.com/collections...60-degree-base

A scout setup is rugged, an offset mount is fragile but so very cool.

Boolit Master
    Talk to Mva they make a reproduction of the Winchester a5 scope maybe they have a solution but it's gonna involve drilling and tapping.

Marlin would take a scope with its side ejection and the 81 Marlin was made in 45-70 before the Winchester. Most of the scopes back then were single shot propositions for target and hunting. Claims were made that many buffalo runners liked scopes. Putting a scope on a top eject is kind of a PITA and they had a side mount system for the 94 Winchester but many did not care for them.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master

Is a tang sight out of the question? Have you seen an ophthalmologist?

Boolit Grand Master

The early top ejects were occasionally scoped . the scope was offset to the side and angled to zero at a given range. Like offset sights or barrels ( think double rifle) the scope is only truly zeroed for windage at 1 range. Before that distance it hasn't reached the zero point and after that distance its crossed over.
    I played around with offset sights for awhile on a match rifle. (This is an extreme case of what yours would be) The sights were offset roughly 2 5/8" to the left so the user could shoot right handed and left eye. They did work and were accurate but every 100 yds additional range required the come up for drop and 2-4 mins windage to compensated for the offsets crossover. Your offset scope mount would be the same just not as much. The comb on most lever guns wouldn't be wide enough for a good cheek weld with the offset either.

Boolit Master
    I have what I believe is an old side mount for the '94 Winchester. Made of aluminum the base and lower ring are one piece the front and rear scope are the other two pieces. At present I don't know who made it. Williams at one time made a base and ring combo and that I believe was also an offset base and ring combo. Then I think there was a combo setup that used the dovetail for the barrel mounted rear sight and two holes d&t on the barrel. I found out the hard way that due to the crummy eyesight and limited distance between the eye and the objective lense on the junior and super target spot that in order for me to get a good sight pic I had to have the rear of the scope almost up against my tempered industrial glasses. Unertl I never had a problem. And having said that myself I'd be leary of a limited eye relief scope on a kicker 1886 in 45/70Still get my prescriptions with industrial lenses (no plastic)tempered glass and industrial frames. Even after I retired and have probably saved my MKI eyeballs more than a few times.And when you stop and think on it, lever action butt stocks aren't exactly scope friendly. I was looking at the Leatherwood scopes for my Winchester canadian centennial 26" bbld 30-30.Nothing exists like that but some sharps owners have kindly sit at their bench and eyeball through their scopes. Still scares the snot out of me. Also cheekweld lever action stocks have a lot of drop mainly cause all they use is iron sights. So maybe one of the lace on cheek rests which isn't exactly period looking. You'd need a buttstock with a higher comb as made by a stockmaker rather than a slip on cheek piece. Just my 2 cents. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Is a tang sight out of the question? Have you seen an ophthalmologist?
    Already have a tang sight. Just been wanting a scope because they look cool honestly! And it would be nice to have, not many people have any.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Talk to Mva they make a reproduction of the Winchester a5 scope maybe they have a solution but it's gonna involve drilling and tapping.
    Yes sadly, I contacted some companies and they all said that they have mounts that would work. For example the rear mount would go in the dovetail and the front one will be drilled in the barrel. Not for me!

Here's another example.

My issue is that I need to figure something out for a rear mount. Drilling is out off the question. The front mount will be in the rear sight dovetail. Thats fine. But the rear mount is a problem... Only other option would be the 1860's-70's scope, the really long one. Which also looks ******. Maybe since it sso long it could mount in the front sight dovetail and the rear one.

Boolit Buddy
    If you really want one I would mount using front and rear dovetails, turn gun on its side to eject with a partial lever stroke turn upright finish stroke and load the next round. Sounds good in theory, no drilling. Lol

Banned
    Guess I missed what it was going on. Unless it's something really special, mounting a scope on it will have little effect on the value. Shooter grade 86s, 92s and 94s are a dime a dozen. Or just buy a modern Marlin rifle ---- problem solved.

Boolit Grand Master

If your rifle is drilled and tapped for the receiver sight on the side and back those 2 holes and a custom mount made for the back ring to clamp on. A small block of steel and some mill time. Your still talking a offset and angled mount though

Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    If you really want one I would mount using front and rear dovetails, turn gun on its side to eject with a partial lever stroke turn upright finish stroke and load the next round. Sounds good in theory, no drilling. Lol
    I think thats what Il do. Now the only issue is that the scope is 450$ US, no mounts, no shipping. So that would be around 750$ Canadian. The scope itself is 600+. YAY!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I think thats what Il do. Now the only issue is that the scope is 450$ US, no mounts, no shipping. So that would be around 750$ Canadian. The scope itself is 600+. YAY!
    I have looked at these scopes also, great cool factor. Found a article online about making your own mounts with old micrometer parts.
    Showed it to a Machinest friend who wanted one for his Browning BPCR, he made his own mounts they came out nice, a lot sturdier than their factory mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    I have looked at these scopes also, great cool factor. Found a article online about making your own mounts with old micrometer parts.
    Showed it to a Machinest friend who wanted one for his Browning BPCR, he made his own mounts they came out nice, a lot sturdier than their factory mounts.
    Do you have any info on the mounts? or parts required for them? Im not a machinist but I could slap something together if need be