RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 155 gr 2r not workign for 300 BO.

Boolit Bub
    I have been checking before coating. the extra step sucks, but I tried it afterwards and that was a no go.

Boolit Master
    I had the same issues and went to the NOE version of 311414. The nose portion measures .300 so it doesn't jam into the rifling. Check the NOE site for a drawing of the bullet
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Just giving this thread a cursory look I'm inclined to think case neck too. Some .223 cases can't be converted to 300 AAC because the case necks are too thick. If memory serves, anything over about .013 will cause problems (this is measuring the new blackout neck thickness, after trimming).

Assuming your cases are OK, that bullet is tried and true in that format. Obviously it needs to be seated far enough in to allow for proper cycling. Since good CB loads in the 300 Blackout are so much lower than jacketed for the same weight, overpressure won't be an issue in most cases. I shoot the Ed Harris TL 312-160-2R, less popular than yours for the Blackout but still a great shooting boolit. My OAL is 1.980" over 16 gr. RL 7 or equivalent. Somewhere around 1800 fps, cycles fine, accurate. Sized to .309" always. Apologies if I'm repeating what others have said.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-23-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Boolit Bub
    thanks rockshooter, I was just looking at that exact mold the NOE 311414. also thanks to everyone else that added good info. the weekends are always pretty busy for me. living on a shooting range and all. when things slow down I am planning on casting a few more from the Lee mold that I have. gonna load some uncoated and see what difference it makes. there is also another member here that shoots at my place. he has one of the NOE molds. I'm gonna try and snag a few projectiles from him to try. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on the NOE 311414, also. sooooo I'll keep checking in and reporting back with progress.

Boolit Bub
    well I got a surprise today. the rest of my rifle parts delivered early. I put it all together and loaded up 5 test rounds. Barnes 300BO cases, CCI, SR primer, 14gr of RX7, and I seated some .309 Lee 155gr boolits to 1.944. they chambered well and the rifle didn't explode causing me to bleed out on the range table. they grouped well at 25 yds, but seemed a little lethargic. I will now start increasing the powder charge. I still want the NOE 150gr mold, but its nice to have something to play with while I wait for it to come in. thanks again for all the suggestions people!

It is the powder coating that was causing the issue. I've run into this issue with almost all my .30 molds with close to bore or bore riding diameters. The only one that didn't need any adjustment was the 311-291.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    It is the powder coating that was causing the issue. I've run into this issue with almost all my .30 molds with close to bore or bore riding diameters. The only one that didn't need any adjustment was the 311-291.
    It has to be the coating. This boolit is fantastic in 300AAC. I went to the range again this weekend and was 1 moa @100yds off my shoulder (rested on the front) with the Lee C312-155-2R using 15.5gr W296 powder, .015 copper gas check, tumble lubed with 45/45/10 and #41 CCi mil-spec primer. Boolit is loaded in mixed brass to the crimp groove and light to medium crimped with Lee factory crimp die. I only shot 15 rounds because there was nowhere to go but to open up the group. Lol. That was an exceptionally good day for me but real none the less. I'm running a little harder than WW alloy though WW alloy straight worked ok too. I hardened them up a little for less scraping when they load.

Boolit Bub
    yeah I have come to the same conclusion. it is the coating adding an extra thousandths or two. I got them to work Saturday seated to 1.944, I loaded some more yesterday with more powder and I am going to work up my load today. first the Wife and I have about 13 dozen eggs to pickle and can. then gun stuff.

Boolit Master
    There definitely isn't a lot of room to spare in any direction with this cartridge. Has to be one of the most efficient 30 cal. cartridges out there-the way the 9mm is for pistols. Lot of energy per grain of powder.