Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bikerbeans .730" 730 grain HB slugs in one of my 10 gauge guns

Boolit Master

Bikerbeans .730" 730 grain HB slugs in one of my 10 gauge guns

Bikerbeans was kind enough to send me some .730" 730 grain hollow base slugs for trial in my 10 gauge guns .

I loaded two in the Remington SP-10 wad but was a little afraid to shoot them thru any of my old 10's since the chokes on most are .760" or less and the slug with the petals of the wad measure about .770" . So I ordered some .003" mylar wrap which arrived today .

Took six of the SP-10 wads and cut the petals off and then put them in followed by the mylar wrap and then inserted the slug inside the wrap . The diameter of the slug and the wrap should be .740" or a hair under .

When I got to the range this afternoon I used my old circa 1884 Parker Grade 2 10 gauge top lever hammer gun that's loosely bored IC/M near as I can figure . Shot all at 25 yards .

Right barrel ,

Left barrel ,

After that I decided to go on and try the two I had loaded in the SP-10 shotcup .

I thought these were actually rather promising !

Also fired a right and a left with 0000 Buck just for the heck of it !

Right barrel at 25 yards ,

Left barrel at 25 yards ,

Think I'm going to try some more of the slugs with the entire shotcup and perhaps a few with 2 mylar wraps and a few with three mylar wraps .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

I have an old Fox that shoots all buckshot reasonably good,I dropped from 000 to 0 and got more shot in the same pattern as the 000.I went with 0 so to have more pellets and have killed several deer grave yard dead with it.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I have an old Fox that shoots all buckshot reasonably good,I dropped from 000 to 0 and got more shot in the same pattern as the 000.I went with 0 so to have more pellets and have killed several deer grave yard dead with it.
    Friend I've already killed deer with handloaded 000 , 00 , 0 and 1 in the 10 gauge . Handloaded 0 in the 12 gauge as well as home cast slug , handloaded #1 buck in the 16 gauge and am set up with #2 and #3 buck for both the 10 and 20 gauge guns .

I wanna knock off deer this coming year with 0000 , #2 and #3 buck in the 10 gauge and possibly #2 and or #3 in the 20 gauge . I have very nice little Parker VHE 20 and a Sterlingworth 20 that both seem to like buckshot enough to get the job done at 30 yards or less .

Boolit Master

Good luck with your hunts
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Tried the slugs a few minutes ago with a double wrap of .003" Mylar and a triple wrap of .003" as well . The triple wrap is starting to look decent in the tighter barrel . I have some .010" Mylar in order from Midway that should work a bit better I think .

Boolit Master
    Pics with the 2 and 3 wraps of .003" mylar !

Two layers of mylar .

Three layers of .003" mylar .

And a couple pics of the slug !

Boolit Master
    Miracles never cease !

I found a 20-25 pound brick of pure lead in the loading room that a friend gave me a couple years ago !

Mix some or all of this with the same amount of WW's and I am set for casting the .730" 730 grain slugs !

6 pt,

Nice find!

What would be a good OD for these slugs to load them in a SP10 wad? I am thinking about getting a push thru size die.

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    6 pt,

Nice find!

What would be a good OD for these slugs to load them in a SP10 wad? I am thinking about getting a push thru size die.

BB
    The first two of your .73" slugs I loaded were using the uncut SP-10 wad . Recoil and report were a good bit more then when I did the same thing with the petals removed and Mylar wrapped . The ones with the wad petals measured a good bit more then the ID of the barrels on all my guns .

I am thinking perhaps .710-.715" would be best !

Boolit Master
    The Lyman Foster 12 gauge slug is supposed to drop at something like .709" I think it would work very well in the SP-10 wad for tight choked guns like I have as the SP-10 petals add about .04" close to the base of the slug and shotcup .

I better find some real soft lead if I am going to squeeze a slug down by 0.015".

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I better find some real soft lead if I am going to squeeze a slug down by 0.015".

BB
    In the LC Smith you have with the chopped barrels this slug in a SP-10 should be okay . The rub comes when you use them in a constriction that would be considered modified or above based on the nominal standard diameter for a 10 gauge .

Boolit Master
    My powder woes have been eliminated !

Still have about 6 or 7 pounds of SR7625 for the 10 gauge .

Have several pounds of W296/H110 for the 410 .

And now I have 24 pounds of Universal Clays for the 12, 16 , 20 and 28 !

Might pick up 8 of Unique and 8 of Green Dot in the next month or so just for the heck of it !

Boolit Master
    Well I received the borrowed mold for these slugs this morning so I cast 110 of them . I also took six of them and ran them thru my home made .720" sizier die . I made a sort of top punch that is loosely the same contour as the hollow base . Chucked my die in the jaws of the lathe , took the movable center and moved it closer , started my slug in the sizer , stuck the piece of dowel in the base cavity and used the crank on the movable center to ease them on thru . I lubed them with gear grease to get thru the sizer and I gotta say they came thru it looking pretty decent .

I wanna make another sizer die with some relief holes and maybe a little closer to .712" or so . Also tall enough that I can push the dowel thru a little easier .

Box with 100 or so of the slugs cast from 50/50 alloy of pure lead and wheelweights .

And the six I sized with my homemade sizer die . Used a piece of Remington 11/87 12 gauge varrel to make it !

Once I got home I loaded the six sized slugs . Used the REM SP-10 wad with the petals attached , pushed with 30 grains or SR7625 .
    Also loaded six of the unsized except I removed the petals from the wads and added a single wrap of Mylar .010" .

Boolit Grand Master

6pt-sika:

If you are looking for something around 0.712" what about a 0.715" round ball? That is a standard Lyman mould. It will weigh more than the Lyman Foster slug and if loaded into shotcups should do quite well. Certainly round balls in shotcups have served me well in 12 ga. and no reason why they wouldn't work for 10 ga.

Just a thought.

Longbow

Boolit Master

I bet those make some nice exit wounds.

Boolit Grand Master

That is a nice slug design. Is that one of turbo's designs?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    6pt-sika:

If you are looking for something around 0.712" what about a 0.715" round ball? That is a standard Lyman mould. It will weigh more than the Lyman Foster slug and if loaded into shotcups should do quite well. Certainly round balls in shotcups have served me well in 12 ga. and no reason why they wouldn't work for 10 ga.

Just a thought.

Longbow
    . Might do the round balls at a later date . But I wanna see how this slug sized down a touch will work inside the SP-10 wad . If it works to my satisfaction I might just have Accurate cut me a mold at .715" . Or have the one you posted the drawing of that's like the Lyman 525 but again make it .715 rather then the as drawn .730" diameter .

Boolit Master
    To be honest I'm not sure who designed this one , Bikerbeans was kind enough to let me use it . Who he got it from I'm not sure .

LB,

It is a nose pour Accurate mold, 73-900 IIRC, that had a hollow base pin installed. It will still cast a 900 grain solid if anyone is interested.

BB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast