MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many bullets can you get in a barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't a member (who shall remain nameless) do something similar with a revolver a few years ago before he got booted?

Boolit Master

When I had my shop a Ruger super 44 had 6 bullets in the barrel. sent it to Ruger and they were gong to destroy it till I said send it back or I will report it stolen.

I cut the barrel and action in half on my mill then mounted it in solid plastic. Barrel and action were way out of spec by visual and measurement.

The customer who owned it had started reloading 1 month before the problem.

Boolit Master
    Surely alcohol was involved!

Boolit Master

Once had a .357 Blackhawk come in with 6 in the barrel. The guy had been shooting 38 Special tracers, said they had "welded the barrel closed". I drove them out and cleaned the barrel, no permanent damage had been done.

Boolit Bub
    ....a barrel full apparently

I had a guy bring me an absolutely MINT! Smith 38-44 Outdoorsman about 12 yrs ago. Said he "had a bullet stuck in the barrel"..and sure enough I could see a bit of copper in the cylinder gap, and the cylinder was locked up tight. So I grabbed a hammer and a rod and stuffed it down the 6" barrel...only..3". Blink blink..? Make a long story short...he had squibbed (6) 158gr JHPs in the barrel. I had to make up a long end mill and cut each and every bullet out, then gently peel the jackets out. There was a very slight..slight bulge just back from the front of the crane, one could just..just feel the swelling and looking down the barrel..one could see a slight ring..probably .015 deep. When he showed up a week later..I showed it to him and suggested he buy from a different ammo seller. He then blushed and said he had done it himself. When I told him it was gonna cost him for me making the end mill and spending a few hours getting the rounds out..he said.."keep it" and turned around and left. So I took it out the next weekend and fired a **** load of .38 Spec 158 cast hotties..and it shoots just as well as any of my other wheel guns. Doesnt seem to have hurt it in the slightest and Ive shot the heck out of it ever since. Thanks Mr Newbie!!

Boolit Master

Got a little more of the story today. The ammo was 44 special loaded for a bulldog pistol so they were a bit light. The owner was at the range with his brother but was busy doing something ells at the time. The brother said he could not see where he was hitting, finally telling the owner the gun quit shooting. The owner took a picture of the barrel as well as two other gunsmiths so that make four pictures and all got posted to shooting forums with the owners being the last one. He was kicked off what ever forum he posted his picture on and was called a lier because the picture was already being passed around the internet. Like adding insult to injury.