Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Anaconda problem

Boolit Buddy

Colt Anaconda problem

Hello everyone!
    My brother and I inherited a few guns from our uncle who passed a few years ago. Our family is very small, he was our last uncle, so these guns are very special to us.
    One of them is a Colt Anaconda that appears to be in very good condition(like new). I'm sure he had shot it very little, but he had fired it. He had told my brother he had bought it new. We got it in the Colt factory case with the owners manual.
    We shot it yesterday. It wasn't hitting to point of aim so we adjusted rear sight. We had to run the sight blade to the maximum adjustment to get it to hit to point of aim, but after a few more rounds, it was off again.
    We got to looking close and where the ejector shroud touches the front of the frame, the shroud was not centered with the frame. My brother took ahold of the barrel, and turned it! Barrel can be turned back and forth by hand, fairly easily. Needless to say we didn't shoot it any more after seeing that.
    I called Colt customer service and they told me year of manufacture(I asked, 1992),and said that the barrel needs re-indexed. Said we would need to send it to them, BUT, right now they aren't accepting any double actions for repair work due to backlog of work,(until June). Also, we would have to pay for repair as the gun was made before 96. He said a good, reputable gunsmith could do the job.
    I am looking for suggestions and/or advice. Maybe some one can recommend a gunsmith for this job.
    I don't want to hand this revolver over to just anybody, it means too much to us. There's only one REALLY good smith here, that I have any experience with, and he doesn't do stuff like this that I know of(Wayne Novak). There's a couple more, but I have no experience with them and prefer not to find out the hard way that they are not very good, especially with this gun!
    Anybody have any advice or recommendations of who we could send this gun to for professional repair done right? I hate to even let it out of our hands, but, what else can we do? We are both shooters, and want to shoot it.

Boolit Bub
    Try Roy's Gun Service in Adairsville, GA. He has done a lot of work for me on revolvers and is excellent and very reasonable on pricing.
    Roy King
    77 King Road, SW
    Adairsville, GA 30103

(770) 773-3548

Boolit Master
    Save this

Boolit Master
    I would remove the barrel if it threads all the way out, clean the threads very well on both sides. Slather on some Red Loctite, thread it in re-indexing to as straight up as you can get it. Let it sit a few days or a week. I did this to a basket case Luger years ago, and it hasn't moved yet. You can loosen the Loctite with moderate heat later if it ever needs to be.

Boolit Master
    What are you doing shooting this gun? Do you have any idea what an as new Anaconda is worth? Wait until June or July and have Colt fix it. Then put it away. On the anniversary of your uncle's birth you and your brother should put on linen gloves and take out the anaconda to play with it, not shoot it. I have a really nice near new Python that my sons and I have stopped shooting because its price got absurd and we have other 357s to shoot. Grandchildren may get to sell it to support their retirement if the Government doesn't steal it first.

Boolit Master
    Anacondas may now be worth a lot, but that doesn't mean they were the finest Colt ever made. I'd fix it and shoot the snot out of it if that made you happy.

Boolit Master
    I bought mine when it was inment BILL CLINTON was going in. It had been shot 4 times and had a issue in the lock work. I sent it back in then and also had the factory ship it over to Mag n Port and have then port it. Got the factory papers some where. I took it and placed it in a lock box. To pricy to risk. kids can sell or enjoy. It is very nice, BUT NOT a Dan Wesson. PERIOD

Shoodit lizbeth

Boolit Master
    Tell em Troy , shoot it Liz

Boolit Master
    I would send it to Ford's Custom in FL.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Banned

Shooting a gun has never hurt it unless you erode throats on hot rifles. Some very expensive old shotguns worth a fortune have a million rounds.
    It is how the gun is cared for, no rust pits or holster wear. Any gun behind glass is worthless and all those with gold inlays are a joke.
    To make money and an investment on a gun means you will be dead a few hundred years.

Banned

ifi it don't work and you ain't gonna shoot it then it don't matter.
    why bother fixing it.
    your just spending money at that point.
    let the guy that pay's the big money for it get it fixed.

Banned

Like spending $2000 for old brandy, good for two days here. Still just brandy!
    Yeah, snake guns can be worth a lot but it is the name, not how good the gun is. Colt held back with the .44 for too long and did not make a great gun in the end. Glue the barrel in and shoot it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello again,
    My brother and I haven't got to talk in detail about what we plan on doing to fix this problem yet. We will discuss the different suggestions offered on fixing this revolver. It just might end up going back to Colt.
    The way I see it, we will not "realize" the higher dollar value of this gun.....unless we sell it. We both already agreed we are not getting rid of it.
    We probably won't "shoot the snot" out of it, but it will be fired and enjoyed by both of us. It will also be handled, cleaned and lubed with care.
    I'm concerned if we use the Loctite to "glue" the barrel we may not get it centered or as straight as it should or could be.(but we will examine it closer and discuss possibly trying it.) We haven't tried to see if it will unscrew very far by hand, at least not yet. Maybe when we get a chance to get together again.
    I plan on contacting the gunsmiths recommended to at least get a feel for the cost of getting it done right.
    By the way, Just a few questions...
    What is involved in re-indexing a barrel?
    If just tightened as much as can be done without ant special tools, will the front sight be centered?
    What about cylinder to barrel gap? How much gap should there be?
    Like stated before, it looks "like new", but it has for sure been fired, even before we got it, but most likely a very low round count.
    It will not be sold(we've got children and grandchildren to pass it on to), and we will on occasion put a box of boolits thru it, and the Marlin 1894/44mag that came with it.
    Any one else have a good revolver smith they could recommend?
    If anyone has anymore thoughts or suggestion on this, please post them!
    Thanks to all that replied!

Vendor Sponsor

I'm not sure I would loctite it even though that would work. Colt might be the way to go with it although it sounds expensive and time consuming may be the best shot in the long run to fix it and fix it right. On the other hand, sometimes their QC is really lacking and you may send it to them for them to take a long time and charge a LOT of money to do a job that a really good smith could have done better. It's hit or miss it seems.

I would NOT SHOOT this gun with the barrel loose, it may damage it beyond repair if it galls or spalls the threads in the frame.

I am not going to suggest either way but I will list some smiths that are worth calling and asking about this. I think the more you ask around the proper thing to do with it will soon enough come to you.

Starting with John Linebaugh, SUPER nice guy, he is too busy with his big bore conversions to take it in, but he is VERY knowledgeable and might have some good insight and I would value his opinion highly, just run it by him and see what he says, either call or email.

John Linebaugh - Linebaugh Custom Sixguns
    Phone: 307-645-3332
    P.O. Box 455
    Cody, WY 82414
    www.customsixguns.com/index.htm

David Clements - Clements Custom Guns
    276-238-8761
    2766 Mt. Zion Rd.
    Woodlawn, VA 24381
    bigbore51@yahoo.com
    www.clementscustomguns.com/

Cylinder and Slide
    245 E. 4th Street
    Fremont, NE 68025
    Phone: (402) 721-4277
    Fax: (402) 721-0263
    Orders Only: (800) 448-1713
    http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

John Gallagher - Gallagher Firearms Inc.
    (205)384-5229
    3923 Bird Farm Road
    Jasper, Alabama 35503
    johngallagher1@bellsouth.net
    closed website: www.gallagherfirearms.com
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-23-2016 at 11:54 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I was concerned about getting the Luger barrel I LocTited correctly indicated too, possibly moreso than you, as the Luger is essentially a fixed sight pistol. If you do decide to fix it yourselves, and the barrel unthreads freely, you could see if room exists for a wrap of Teflon plumbers tape. This if done right will secure the barrel enough to determine the best "clocking" for your rear sight to be centered. You could then put a small, easily removed Sharpie mark on the barrel and frame that shows you where to realign when you Loctite it in.

I did this on the Luger, and it shot perfectly for windage afterwards. As far as just tightening it all the way in, maybe. It's possible it just didn't get torqued correctly at the factory, but I doubt it. My guess is by the time you got it tight enough to hold, it would be past where you would want it. You also need the correct tool, both barrel wrenches and vises to properly tighten a revolver barrel, it is easy to ruin one. If this is the case, properly indexing it will involve milling off a portion of the barrel shoulder that contacts the frame, and possibly the barrel stub/forcing cone area that faces the cylinder to get correct orientation when torqued in properly. This is also one reason why I suggested my method, as you don't have to wrench on anything, risking damage. The barrel cylinder gap will probably range from .004" (good), to .009" (not so good, but within standards).

If you don't fix it yourself, I would recommend one of the good gunsmiths posters suggested. Colt screwed it up the first time, sometimes they don't get it right the second time either.

Boolit Grand Master

What dubber said.

Unscrew, clean, install with Red Loctite. My gunsmith does this for my Smiths if they have a thread
    constriction, works perfectly.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    Just wait and send it to Colt, I can get you in touch with their custom shop manager when the time comes, he's a good guy and will make sure it's done right. Or, their is a couple of former Colt wheelmen guys I could dig through my stuff to find their numbers. The Anaconda was my least fav snake, I owned a few, and own zero now, that kind of says something. I still have Pythons etc. If I had one, and was attached, refused to sell, I would be careful who touched the barrel. I've had a couple that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.
    Just PM me if you seriously want that info, it will take some digging.

Boolit Master
    Duckiller,

stick to killing ducks.

This handgun has value to these gentlemen because of a family member owning it, not any other notion.

I still shoot my Great Grandfather's Bisley, and my own custom engraved SAA with my initials for a SN.

Enjoy them...

Banned

That is the important consideration. Why it should be put back in good service.
    I have many guns and when I am gone, Carol will sell them and everyone I know has dibs on each. I want them to get the info, dies, molds and everything else for each gun. I know each will be put to use and they will at least think of me.
    I might have to haunt them and tell them, HEY, DIP, go back and get THIS too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast