Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 310 die question

I find these threads very frustrating. A fellow asks a question and wants a "yes" or "no" answer and nobody, including me, can give that direct answer. However, a ton of information is given that would allow somebody to answer their own question. The fellow still keep asking for a "yes" or "no" answer and doesn't seem to be able to break the code and answer his own question.

I am tempted to make an observation about the breakdown of critical thinking skill is today's society and the desire of folks for simplistic answers without the need to think. But that is for another day.

Scott, you have all the information you need. Get out some tools and start taking measurements. If all else fails, buy a freaking 38 Special expanding die on Ebay, they are not rare and it will only cost a few bucks. It will either work or it won't, but to about a 99% certainly it will work with the proper size expanding plug. Take a chance and learn something on your own.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I find these threads very frustrating. A fellow asks a question and wants a "yes" or "no" answer and nobody, including me, can give that direct answer. However, a ton of information is given that would allow somebody to answer their own question. The fellow still keep asking for a "yes" or "no" answer and doesn't seem to be able to break the code and answer his own question.

I am tempted to make an observation about the breakdown of critical thinking skill is today's society and the desire of folks for simplistic answers without the need to think. But that is for another day.

Scott, you have all the information you need. Get out some tools and start taking measurements. If all else fails, buy a freaking 38 Special expanding die on Ebay, they are not rare and it will only cost a few bucks. It will either work or it won't, but to about a 99% certainly it will work with the proper size expanding plug. Take a chance and learn something on your own.

I guess I should have just went to EBAY, bought the dies (cause they're cheap and plentiful), tried them out, and had the answer.

Thanks for the insight and help!!!!!
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I guess I should have just went to EBAY, bought the dies (cause they're cheap and plentiful), tried them out, and had the answer.

Thanks for the insight and help!!!!!
    Now you are talking Scott. There is knowledge we gain by having others give us the answers and there is knowledge we acquire by figuring things out for ourselves. The latter type is far more valuable, we own it for life and what and how we learn, transfers to other things in life. It is kind of like when we learned to feed ourselves. Once we figure that out, we don't have to sit around and wait for somebody with a spoon to come along.

Best of luck...Charles

P.S.: If you end up with a die body that is too long, send it to me and tell me how long you want it. I can trim it in the lathe. No charge of course. These 310 die bodies are butter soft and easy to trim.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    In hindsight, I guess the question I could have asked was, "Are 9mm dies and 38 super dies the same except for the FL sizer die" Scott
    No they are not. But, as I think I said, if you have the proper size die I'd bet as a practical matter you could load 38 super with 9mm dies. The DA chamber is not the same but I'll bet it'd work. You might have to hone it out a little but I doubt it. Do you, in fact, have 9mm dies? If yes, try it. Regards, Woody

edit: As an aside, are your 38 super brass nickel? If so, I'd advise not using them in TL or 310 dies. I won't because my dies end up being scratched. YMMV
    Last edited by woody1; 04-29-2016 at 04:51 PM.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

I had time to do this 'cause it's pouring down hail and rain. I scrounged up ONE nickel 38 Super outa my junk brass. Since it was nickel I sized it in a regular carbide 9mm die which theoretically under sized the base and sure appeared to oversize the mouth. It was a Lee 9mm sizer, what can I say? No I didn't measure it. You cannot adequately expand the mouth with a 38/357 expansion chamber unless you've also got a longer expander plug than I did. The 9mm chamber works great as it's shorter. Seating - I seated the li'l' 92 grain 358292 with the 38/357 DA chamber but it appeared tight, like mebe it was a touch small. The 9mm DA and seater work like a charm except the crimp ridge limits how far the case goes in the die. This limits the amount of total adjustment one would have with the die.
    The seat stem just barely goes into the die enough to reach but remember, I was using a li'l' short boolit. SO, does it work? Sure but do I know anything about 38 super? No. Regards, WOody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Thanks for the leg work Woody.

I'll have to hunt up a full set of 9mm dies and give them a try. I hope these are easier to come by than the 38 super dies, which are nonexistent.

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

Besides the 9mm look for 38 Colt Automatic or 38 ACP.
    Take a kid along

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12