Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: setting up my star

setting up my star

Why is there a hole in the back of the lube cylinder? when I try to push the spring in and screw on the cap it leaks out a lot of lube, and also should it be so hard to compress that spring? I have the cap threaded all the way down and I have to put all my weight on it to even get it threade on about one turn, that's as far as it will go, I left it there I assume it is cross threads but with it being so hard to do I left it there. is there a way to compress the spring prior to installing it? if so how would you de-compress it ? hope someone can help me, this is a really cool machine and I am so tired of paan lubind and punching out boolits. Thank you, Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

ADMIN

You have too much lube in it.
    Most people switch over to air lube feed. And block that hole with a piece of rubber and a hose clamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

As noted, you've overfilled the lube reservoir. Look at the length of the compression spring and you'll know how much space you need to leave in the reservoir to accommodate it. The lube can't be filled past the air hole, as it's there to relieve the vacuum created when the screw is tightened down to compress the lube and force it into the lube pump.

Remove the cap with the spring plunger on it and use a spoon to remove some of the lube. If you don't do this, you'll never get the machine working. Two objects can't occupy the same space, so you have to make room in the reservoir. Depending on the lube you're using, you may have to apply a little heat to soften the lube enough to get it spooned out.

I have 6 Star lube-sizers, and once you get the hang of using them, you'll never go back.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    What HATCH & Fred said.

And NEVER refill the reservoir with liquid (melted) lube above the hole & then install the piston...........

LUBE SQUIRT!
    Bob

ok thank you guys very much! I just dropped a stick in there, guess it was too much,since I did get it threaded one turn, ill just pump some out and then tighten down the cap, and save wwhat I pump out for later.thanks again, Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Better less than more .

Boolit Master

The voice of experience says "Don't put melted lube above that hole in the back of the lube cylinder." And if you do pour in melted lube, make sure you keep it below the hole and allow it to solidify before pushing the piston down on top of the lube. It is no fun scraping/wiping melted lube off everything in the direction the hole points. Don't ask me how I know all that. Big Boomer

Boolit Master

I am also a new (Magma) Lubrisizer user and am having some teething problems.

With some help from Youtube, I was able to get a stick of lube in the sizer and get it to work. But the problem I am having is that there is lube ending up on the boolit noses, and since I am using soft BP lube, it is a mess. Is this excess lube from the from front lube holes?

Also, how do I determine how far down to crank the lube screw (or whatever it is called) to get lube to come out?

Lastly is there a secret to determining how to set the punch die? Those tiny lube holes in the sizing die are way too old for my eyes to look in and see the lube grooves.

Thanx.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Lastly is there a secret to determining how to set the punch die? Those tiny lube holes in the sizing die are way too old for my eyes to look in and see the lube grooves.

Thanx.
    Page 4: http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I am also a new (Magma) Lubrisizer user and am having some teething problems.

With some help from Youtube, I was able to get a stick of lube in the sizer and get it to work. But the problem I am having is that there is lube ending up on the boolit noses, and since I am using soft BP lube, it is a mess. Is this excess lube from the from front lube holes?

Also, how do I determine how far down to crank the lube screw (or whatever it is called) to get lube to come out?

Thanx.
    Most likely too much pressure or too warm; the die springs create pressure to allow the lube to flow around the circumference of the die. The lube should not flow into the die due to just the main reservoir pressure. Near the bottom of the stroke the intensifier is actuated the increase of pressure causes lube to flow into the die and fill the lube grooves. It is a timed injection; too much pressure will cause lube to flow into the die and get onto the noses.

Set your die on a table (lie on side)place a bullet next to the die and match the lube groove with the row of holes. Next place your punch on the heal of the bullet, draw a line or place tape where the top of the die would be in relation the punch. Or you can measure the distance and record in a note book. That is how far the punch needs to be inserted into the die to match up the lube grooves with the die holes.

Boolit Master

I will take a look and see if it is too much pressure.

But once again, how do I know when I have enough pressure and not too much?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Kevin,

If you're using something like SPG lube, then you'll want minimum pressure on the turn screw. When you start to feel resistance when screwing it down, size and lube a bullet and see what it looks like. If the lube grooves don't fill out all the way, give the turn screw half a turn and try it again. Keep screwing it down a half turn at a time until all the grooves fill properly, but you're not getting any lube on the nose of the bullet. This is of course assuming you've got the top punch adjusted correctly to align the lube grooves with the hole(s) in the die.

BP lube is about the hardest to use in the Star, since it's like squirting Crisco cooking grease. I finally confined my SPG lubing to one of my Saeco machines, since it's a little easier to control the flow, but it's still a messy proposition.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    Some times when i get lube on the nose of the bullet it is because i push it to far "have the punch set to long" and the second bullet wipes it out leaving stripes of lube. also lube on the nose can be from seepage. to much pressure on soft lube it will flow constantly when ever the holes are open. so as the first bullet is pushed out by the second the lube flows onto the nose of the second bullet.

it is enough pressure when it fills the lube rings. to little you have gasp in the lube ring.
    remove the die and look for the lube to flow only when the handle it pumped down, about 1/2"-1" strings.

Boolit Master

The little hole is there to enable you to create some nice lube decorations on your work space. Ask me how I know this. Still finding spots of lube years after I made the mistake to pour melted lube into the reservoir and filled to above the hole and then reinserted the piston. Lube geyser sprayed all over the work space. I now refill outside and pay attention to how much lube I add.

Even though the Star is a little finicky to get going once done it is a real pleasure to use.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Kevin,

If you're using something like SPG lube, then you'll want minimum pressure on the turn screw. When you start to feel resistance when screwing it down, size and lube a bullet and see what it looks like. If the lube grooves don't fill out all the way, give the turn screw half a turn and try it again. Keep screwing it down a half turn at a time until all the grooves fill properly, but you're not getting any lube on the nose of the bullet. This is of course assuming you've got the top punch adjusted correctly to align the lube grooves with the hole(s) in the die.

BP lube is about the hardest to use in the Star, since it's like squirting Crisco cooking grease. I finally confined my SPG lubing to one of my Saeco machines, since it's a little easier to control the flow, but it's still a messy proposition.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I am using SPG but am happy to switch. Could you name something that works better for BP and the Star? I am tired of having to wipe-off the nose and bases.

Kevin,

A friend of mine who shoots black powder almost exclusively, says he uses Thompson's BP lube in his Star and it's not messy like SPG. I haven't tried it myself, but he swears by it. Here's the link:

http://bulletlube.com/Black-Powder-P...tick_p_38.html

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

Thanx, I just ordered a few sticks to try them.

Boolit Bub
    Carnuba red is my favorite. My star uses air pressure though.

Boolit Master

Thanks for everyone's help. I seem to be getting the hang of lubing w/o using excessive SPG lube, but I bought a few sticks of Thompson's, which will get used next.

So far, I have fired 20-rounds thru my 50/70 Sharps. There was lots of smoke and noise, but I hit nothing. Cleanup was easy. Fun!