Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you oil bore after shooting

Boolit Master
    I have several 22s right now and have given at least 6 others to my some of my grandkids in the last few years. Thousands of rounds through all of them and I may have cleaned the bore on them a very few times. I always wipe the guns down with WD-40 ( oh no not WD-40!!!! ). I have never had a gun rust using WD-40 and it has never harmed the finish or the blueing. If a gun gets wet I always clean thourghly in side and out and every where else.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    When I shot smallbore competition, the recommended practice followed by Lones Wigger and George Stidworthy was to push one wet patch with nothing more than a food grade mineral oil USP through the bore to remove any loose fouling, protect the bore from condensation and to keep the fouling soft. Prior to firing one dry patch was run through the bore to remove any dust and loosened fouling, and to dry the chamber. Using greased ammo such as R50 or Eley Tenex foulers were unnecessary and you could go for X's on your first shot. In pistol competition the same drill. Dry bore would cause fliers, one wet patch, one dry patch.

Dry wax lubed ammo like CCI Green Tag is more consistent if the first few rounds fired from a cold barrel are very lightly oiled, using one drop of oil on a patch, wipe rounds, then wipe off with dry patch leaving very minimal fillm.
    Going have to give that a try!!!!!!!!

Some interesting history here http://22box-id.com/USA/Western.pdf

Just found this thread. It appears Western stopped using black powder in 22'S around 1912. In 1927 the Western Cartridge Company introduced their non-corrosive priming system.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-05-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Argue all you want. I clean and oil after use. I had one .22 that I left uncleaned after shooting (on a dry day by the way) and as usual it had some powder residue in the bore. Well, it didn't get used for a while and the bore wound up pitted. Not real bad but pitted. Stored in the basement closet just like all the other guns that had oiled bores.

I suspect that the powder residue soaked up moisture from humidity but that is speculation on my part. Regardless, I have never had any other gun get a pitted bore if I cleaned after shooting.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    I clean the bore of my .22s about every 500 rounds or so. The only modern .22 rifle I own, Marlin Model 60, the manual says don't clean the bore unless it got wet or foreign material got into it. My other .22 rifles are from the 40's and early 50's. The bores of those are perfect and they were cleaned less often.

I admit I feel dirty not giving the .22's the same after shooting treatment all my other rifles get.

Clean, no.
    If I clean, I have to fire about 20-30 fouling shots to get back to optimal accuracy.

I do oil the bore, and I clean the chamber with hoppes 9.

Just because the bullets are waxed doesn't mean it doesn't need protection against rust. From my experience bullet lube/carbon fouling expedite the rusting process.

Fire a few cast bullets, with a few jacketed and leave the cases overnight in the grass. The cast bullet cases have decidedly more verdigris. That convinced me for good, if I'm not taking it out again for over a month it gets an oil patch and no more. Lead bullets love seasoned barrels, and I won't strip that down unless I've got leading.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Master
    Well, if you walk in any pawnshop around chances are all the 22's have dirty bores, unless the shop owner cleans them, and most don't. But they are usually rode very hard and put up wet! And I'd be willing to bet that even with dirty bores, and gum up actions from "wd-40" will still shoot very acceptable groups. I was brought up cleaning guns like you clean yourself, very good! I have worked to hard for my guns to let the bores ruin, even the beaters deserve better treatment, but to each his own. If I find a 22 that I want to buy, I run a boresnake through it, and if it looks good, it goes with me, if I see anything I don't like, it's still there's. If I want just the action for a build, I'll use the rough barrel to haggle the deal, then it will get a green Mtn. barrel, which by the way shoot great! I've noticed if clean and use carb cleaner for the last patch, and remove any oil from the bore, it doesn't take many shots to get the barrel back to shooting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123