RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 30-223

Boolit Grand Master

30-223

Just rechambered a barrel from 300 blackout to 30-223. We have varmint silhouette matches once a month and thought I would try it out. Had a bit of trouble with the rechamber as there was a tiny piece of metal in the chamber that I missed and it threw my headspace off. Had to re-cut the back of the barrel and rechamber. finally got it headspaced.
    Made some cases and sized them in a set of Redding 300 whisper/30-221 dies. Got them loaded with 844. Figured it was too slow and sure enough it was. Next was Benchmark, also too slow. Kind of tough without hardly any loading data out there. Back to the bench and try a bit faster powder and re-shoot for function/bullet speed/ pressure signs. X-terminator wasn't too bad, but not much speed. Went next to AA2015br and things looked better, but only getting 2444fps with the Hornady 110gr, but it was 100fps faster than the x-term loads. Case should run bullets faster.
    Figured I would try AA1680 as that is what the 7.62x40wt uses well. Upped the charge from the x40 load data and went and re-shot today. Loaded a few first to try and find upper limit of powder charge. Did, and then backed down from there (blew a primer in the 150gr bullet load, on the first shot--dropped it and looks better).
    Took the chrony out and hit 2800fps with the Hornady 110gr vmax and 2600fps with the 125 speer tnt. I will be backing the 110gr Vmax down as accuracy was OK, but not great. The 125gr tnt shot very well. Only took one shot with the 150gr ww powerpoints I have had for decades. Will re-try the 1680 and x-term powders tomorrow with the 150gr Winchester bullets.
    Will try to hit the range tomorrow and check for velocity and accuracy. Then its on to boolits. Probably work with the NOE 311-155, a 135gr swc, and a shortened version of the 30-165sil. Might have to try the 30-165sil too.
    Found a set of Lyman 300blackout dies I bought at our last gunshow and tried them. Worked much better as they didn't size the case shoulder down so much. .002" vs .006".

This is in a XR100 Remington single shot with a Rem-nut and a McGowan barrel 1-10" twist.
    Last edited by rockrat; 04-20-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    What length barrel? I was able to get 2600 with AA1680 and a 110gr Vmax out of a 16" H&R handi.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a 24" barrel.

Went back out today. got a few rounds off before the wind started up. Vel. 2732fps 110 vmax. 4 shots into about .25" ctc and gust of wind blew the other out by 1/2". Shot a few cast with x-term and the NOE 311-155. No bueno. Going to drop powder charge a bit and re-shoot. Velocity was higher than expected, 2498fps. Get me a load with the 150gr pp and M80 ball, then on to cast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    It is a 24" barrel.

Went back out today. got a few rounds off before the wind started up. Vel. 2732fps 110 vmax. 4 shots into about .25" ctc and gust of wind blew the other out by 1/2". Shot a few cast with x-term and the NOE 311-155. No bueno. Going to drop powder charge a bit and re-shoot. Velocity was higher than expected, 2498fps. Get me a load with the 150gr pp and M80 ball, then on to cast.
    Thanks. I figured a longer barrel was needed to get another 150-200 fps. Sounds like I'm going to have to sell my 16" Handi and find a longer barrel.

Boolit Master

You can get actual 30 Apache (30-223Rem) dies from CH4D for about $85.

I rechambered a 300BLK Ar15 last year into this wildcat and its been an interesting ride so far Most of my work has been revolved around building a good load to function the rifle as a semi-auto.

I've basically determined to keep the loads at 7.62x40 levels with 110gr or 125gr loads as I still need the bullet to load and feed from an Ar15 Magazine (I had to cut out the indentation at the front of the magazine to allow the cartridge to be loaded past the count of 3.) and heavier bullets go too deep into the case due to the max oal restrictions.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    So what's the difference between blackout and 30-223 for a guy that doesn't know anything about the latter?

Boolit Grand Master
    Blackout is a cut down .223 case(1/3'd inch or so) and the 30-223 utilizes the full length 223 case. You only open up the neck.

I almost bought dies from CH4D, but thought why not try dies I already had and see if they would work.

Boolit Master
    So I assume that means it's too long for AR15 magazines and actions? Sounds like ballistics would be a lot better and conversion might be easier so there's got to be some reason the Blackout caught on.

Boolit Grand Master
    With the Blackout, you can use so many different bullet weights. Also, I think it was designed for heavy subsonic bullets for use in tactical situations with suppressed weapons. Also, factory ammo came out for the Blackout and that helped its popularity.

The 30-223, you are pretty well limited to lighter weight bullets for use in the AR platform. Also, I believe someone posted above that the mags have to be modified because the front rib gets in the way. There is a 7.62 x 40 round that is midway between the Blackout and the 30-223 that gets a 125 to 2500fps.
    For cast in the AR, you could probably get Tom over at Accurate molds make you a 30-130T for use in the 30-223 in an AR platform and be fine with the OAL and still work in the mag. Might even get a 140ish gr boolit to work well.

Might rechamber my old Blackout barrel to 30-223 just to see what it can do.