Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: S&W 629 DX vs regular 629 ?

Boolit Bub

S&W 629 DX vs regular 629 ?

In the past, there is apparently a difference in the accuracy requirement for a 629 to be categorized as a DX gun. People have vouched for it and S&W has confirmed that.
    Is there any difference these days?
    Looks like they don't even laser the DX or Deluxe word on the bbl anymore.

What are your thoughts?
    Art Y.
    Don't ever forget Sept. 11

Boolit Grand Master

Never heard of it. I have a number of Smith .44 mags....
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several S&W 29 and 629's. My 29 DX (1990's vintage) has a full barrel underlug. Not sure if it makes it more accurate but does balance better for me. My 29 DX w/6.5" barrel is definately my favorite S&W 44mag.

Boolit Master
    They say the DX was supposed to show more accuracy potential and maybe they are but my older 29s won't take a back seat to them.

Boolit Master
    I have 2/ea 629 5" bbl'd Classic DX's that I bought new in the early 90's. They are the most accurate 629's I've ever owned and I've owned a bunch of 629's. One DX wears a 4x Leupold EER scope and it consistently gives me less than 1", 5 shot groups from a rest with the target a 4" bull at 25 yards. The other DX wears a Hi-Viz fiber optic front site and I've used this one to kill many white tailed deer and feral cats and dogs.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I've owned at least a dozen model 29's over the years & one 29 DX, mine was a 6.5" model & I decided to scope it one time just to see how good it really would shoot since my old eyes couldn't do it justice. What a joy to shoot, with just about any quality load my 25 yd. groups were 1/2" or less & you could do it until you ran out of ammo. 50 yds groups would stay around 3/4-1" groups with the 4X Leupold proving the accuracy of the gun & the quality of my Keith handloads.
    A friend from Idaho Falls (some friend) talked me out of it & he just smiles every time we discuss that gun. If you have one keep it, when you die will yours to me!!!
    All of my 29's shot great, non could equal this gun, just like an outhouse, it was a one holer!

Dick

Boolit Master
    I have always heard the DX models were better finished/fitted. I have never had one, but I will say that the guns produced after upgrading their machinery were MUCH better than the older guns on average. I have a pair of Mountain Guns in .44 mag/.45 Colt, and they were excellent out of the box. I also have a 625 5" Classic in .45 Colt, also excellent. I am not so sold on their EDM barrels now, but throats on cylinders seem much more consistent.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I have always heard the DX models were better finished/fitted. I have never had one, but I will say that the guns produced after upgrading their machinery were MUCH better than the older guns on average. I have a pair of Mountain Guns in .44 mag/.45 Colt, and they were excellent out of the box. I also have a 625 5" Classic in .45 Colt, also excellent. I am not so sold on their EDM barrels now, but throats on cylinders seem much more consistent.
    That's fascinating.
    What's the ballpark number for when they upgraded their machinery?
    Are they still using EDM or ECM anymore?
    Art Y.

Back when I sold guns, the only difference that I recall between a DX and a Classic (both had full underlug barrels) was that the DX came from the factory with a set of interchangeable front sight blades whereas a regular classic came with only one. S&W used to and may still sell the front sight pack for these. I have a 5" from the early 90's and it's one of the more accurate guns I shoot.
    Last edited by g17; 04-22-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    I think the DX guns were factory tested for accuracy, if they didn't shoot to a certain level they weren't marked DX. Might have even been some test targets sent with the guns, can't remember.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    That's fascinating.
    What's the ballpark number for when they upgraded their machinery?
    Are they still using EDM or ECM anymore?
    I believe it was in the late 80's early 90's that the machinery was updated. I recall of all people it was the British that spent the money on the upgrades during their ownership. I think all new barrels are EDM machined.

Boolit Bub
    Here's mine, not the DX, bought NIB around 1994 or 5. It came w/ one blade, which can be switched out, and the rubber grip. 5" barrel. Very accurate.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. Sherlock Holmes

Boolit Bub
    Beauty!!!!
    Art Y.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a 29 Classic but with the 8 3/8" barrel. It's a real shooter. Like others have said the DX was tested for accuracy and also came with five front sights.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	166915

Boolit Buddy
    Dick - that old DX of yours shot a 0.6in 5 shot 25yd group a couple weeks back with Verals 280gr LBT and some Power Pistol. I have a Burris Fastfire on it these days. Fantastic revolver.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I've owned at least a dozen model 29's over the years & one 29 DX, mine was a 6.5" model & I decided to scope it one time just to see how good it really would shoot since my old eyes couldn't do it justice. What a joy to shoot, with just about any quality load my 25 yd. groups were 1/2" or less & you could do it until you ran out of ammo. 50 yds groups would stay around 3/4-1" groups with the 4X Leupold proving the accuracy of the gun & the quality of my Keith handloads.
    A friend from Idaho Falls (some friend) talked me out of it & he just smiles every time we discuss that gun. If you have one keep it, when you die will yours to me!!!
    All of my 29's shot great, non could equal this gun, just like an outhouse, it was a one holer!

Dick
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    I also have a 29 Classic but with the 8 3/8" barrel. It's a real shooter. Like others have said the DX was tested for accuracy and also came with five front sights.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	166915
    My 629 DX is an 8-3/8" barrel as well. Had it since '02. As for the DX, all handguns are test fired. Those 629's that performed well were sent out to the back shop for further refinements and became DX versions. They also came with a set of walnut grips which, in my case, fit my hand a lot better than the rubber grips.
    Last edited by ynst; 03-16-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I think the DX guns were factory tested for accuracy, if they didn't shoot to a certain level they weren't marked DX. Might have even been some test targets sent with the guns, can't remember.

Dick
    Actually, if they performed well during initial testing they were converted to DX models.

I had a few friends who worked there when I lived in western Mass years ago.

Boolit Master

Copied from a DX review.
    The factory test target that sets apart the DX from all others. All 29 Classics were test fired, but those that grouped under 1 ½-inches at 50 yards from the machine rest had their barrels engraved with the additional DX lettering. The target was included with the gun to prove its accuracy. They used Federal 240 JHP's as the test.

Boolit Master

Mr. Jerry talks a little about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFoxfjORvh8
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"