Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northeastern Wyoming travel

Boolit Bub

Northeastern Wyoming travel

We're planning a trip to the Black Hills in SD this summer, an area I'm very familiar with. The kids are old enough to range farther afield now and we'd really like to check out the environs across the border to the West. Any recommendations? I'm not at all familiar with WY, but like the attitudes and values in that part of the country. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Devils Tower
    Being human is not for sissies.

Banned

up in that corner you can see the devil's tower, Custer's last stand, and the faces on the mountain in about one day.
    there is also another fort along the highway that's just west and south of Custer's monument.
    thing's ain't cheap, but it is one of the nicer area's in Wyoming.

lot's of sagebrush and rolling grassy hills down along the River.
    just north of Custer's place there are some mountainous areas going along to the Devil's tower [monument] heading in towards spearfish.
    and to the East there are pretty cool mountains and a few things to see.
    they are pretty good about telling you all about stuff to see in the area.
    remember 'over there', or 'over in' is often 200 miles away.
    there will be some time spent in the vehicle.

Banned

Crazy horse memorial, Yellowstone and of course the cody gun museum. That's a not to miss one there. Id plan to spend a day in cody. they have wild west reenactments on the streets in town. At least I know they do on the weekends. Kids really like that.

I wonder if you can hear the Indians chanting around the battleground late evening liken to reports from Eastern civil war grounds…paranormal activity?
    That would be a 'hoot' to hear!

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    I second the Cody day
    lots of cool stuff in the area
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I wonder if you can hear the Indians chanting around the battleground late evening liken to reports from Eastern civil war grounds…paranormal activity?
    That would be a 'hoot' to hear!

OS OK
    Indeed it would. I like to plan some out of the ordinary things in to our travels, like non-tourist ghost towns. Though I'd be down for that, I think staking out a battleground for a ghostly war party might freak out the littlest one. He's scared of his own shadow, too used to always being around people.

Moderator Emeritus

I've only been to WY a dozen times in my life...and haven't been there since the early 90s, so my info may be dated...But in the North (and east of Yellowstone), the Drive on Hwy 14 (going over the Big horns) from Dayton to Lovell, then down to Greybull then to Shell and back across to Dayton is some great mountain driving, plenty of scenic over looks and almost no people to be seen, some nice places to boondock and or just picnic...If that's your kinda thing (as it's mine).

edited: Oh, Medicine wheel is a neat thing to see, just up the mountain from Lovell.
    http://www.wyohistory.org/encyclopedia/medicine-wheel
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Deadwood isn't too far down the road from the devil's tower.
    but getting over to Greybull and Cody is more than a day trip. [it's a long drive across Wyoming]
    Cody alone is 2-3 day's, more if you wanna see the rodeo. [the rodeo runs for about 3 months so it's hard to miss] and it's full of tourists in the summer.

Boolit Master
    I've got family in Sundance and have been hunting there several times. Mount Rushmore isn't far, keyhole reservoir used to be a good fishing hole and good place to look for indian arrowheads, but that's probably illegal now. Devil's tower is worth the drive. If you go to Sundance, look up "whorehouse Larry" and buy him a beer. He's a living legend and if you get him talking it will be the highlight of your trip.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master

Gun, western art, Indian and Buffalo Bill museums, all together in Cody can take two or
    three days by themselves. SUPER museums.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    If you plan a trip around the 24th-26th of june they will have Little Big Horn days in Hardin Mt where they reenact Custers last stand and have a big parade and lots of stuff going on. You can always visit the battle ground any time of the year but its IMHO not worth going out of your way for. dont spend much time on the Crow or Cheyene reservations... Their less than friendly if you venture out of the touristy stops much. Gas up frequently! Distances between towns is allot of times 80+ miles and have a reliable vehicle. temps often push above 100 degrees after then end of june. I have personaly seen 118*

With towns spread that far apart…everyone oughta get along pretty well!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    If you go to Sundance, look up "whorehouse Larry" and buy him a beer. He's a living legend and if you get him talking it will be the highlight of your trip.
    Now you're talkin'. One of the best parts of traveling out West is the interesting people you encounter.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    almost no people to be seen, some nice places to boondock and or just picnic...If that's your kinda thing (as it's mine).
    My thing too, especially the no people to be seen. I want to see Yellowstone some day, but likely in the off season, as all reports that I'm getting indicate Disneyland levels of people.

Banned

bout 10 am things pick up in the park.
    I usually go in mid September and get in early.
    if your at the gate at o dark thirty you will see the grizzly's and wolves and such.
    you'll also be in the middle at the attractions and see what you wanna see before the busses get past the gate.
    once they hit the park I bail and go to the museum for the rest of the day.
    Yellowstone takes a good week of in and out to see everything and keep the kids interested.

we juked around the park from Jackson hole to cody up to Baker and around to west yellow stone.
    this allowed us to drive in and out see what we wanted to see plus enjoy the town too.
    but Jackson hole is something we do in an afternoon [go over for dinner and back] and west Yellowstone is a short day trip from here.

there is really no 'off-season' for yellow stone, you either drive your car or ride a snow mobile.
    off season means it's snowing and the roads are closed [fall], or there is too much snow on the passes to go over them so you have to drive all the way around [spring].
    it's been snowing in that area the last couple of day's anyway so just cutting through the park isn't even an option right now.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    there is really no 'off-season' for yellow stone, you either drive your car or ride a snow mobile.
    off season means it's snowing and the roads are closed [fall], or there is too much snow on the passes to go over them so you have to drive all the way around [spring].
    it's been snowing in that area the last couple of day's anyway so just cutting through the park isn't even an option right now.
    Thank you sir and thanks to the rest for all of the intel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I've got family in Sundance and have been hunting there several times. Mount Rushmore isn't far, keyhole reservoir used to be a good fishing hole and good place to look for indian arrowheads, but that's probably illegal now. Devil's tower is worth the drive. If you go to Sundance, look up "whorehouse Larry" and buy him a beer. He's a living legend and if you get him talking it will be the highlight of your trip.
    Where do you find this guy? I'm going to be in town for a few days this summer.

There's a buffalo jump just across the border out of Beulah wy. tword sundance that's pretty cool they are doing live digs there now and you can see the bones as they are dug. been by that place a million times on the bike never stopped until last year. was really good to stop. and the new Wyoming info center that is just past that is pretty good they have a little museum and info about the history and area.

Boolit Buddy

The local news stated two roads into Yellowstone will open April 23, the earliest it has opened since keeping track of those things. The two roads are; from the north (Gardiner) and from the west (West Yellowstone). The park usually opens around the middle of May, except this year, it will open earlier.
    Cody has rodeos every night during summer for the cowboys. A professional cowboy needs so many points before they can enter a major rodeo, thus the all summer rodeos at Cody - a shrewd way to enter higher level rodeos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast