RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proposing "6.35x26mmSR / .25 Magnum Auto. Colt Pistol" cartridge:

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I find this project fascinating. I can't contribute much, except a story related to me by my police officer father back in the late fifties.......

He and his partner were called to the scene of a shooting in the tenement area of our city. When they arrived, they found an overturned table, the floor littered with playing cards and money. There was a huge man laying in the corner....dead....with a large hole in his chest and beside him on the floor was a Colt Junior .25 automatic.

The other individual was a tiny, meek looking man still sitting in a chair. He had a .25 caliber hole in his shoulder and he still clutched a large caliber muzzle loading percussion pistol. After disarming him and summoning the coroner, my father asked him why he carried such a huge, antiquated pistol. His answer was classic....."Them lil' guns just gets you into trouble. These big ones gets you out...."

Boolit Master
    Intriguing Story.
    I wonder What Caliber the Percussion "Large caliber . . . Pistol" was.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    I bought a New Lee Universal Expander Die and Set About Modifing It for a Dedicated Expander die for my 5.7x28mm case reforming process.

Just Tried out my New Lee "Universal Expander" Die with the Small Cartridge Expander stem Turned To .250" diameter. Outstanding results! The Die / Stem expands the Neck/Shoulder of 5.7x28 Cases Enough so the Swaging Process Removes the Felt evidence of The Prior Neck and Shoulder Junctions. My Prior Expander was a .2500" Drill Blank machined With a tapered end and Chucked in my Bench Drill Press for Use. It left a Slight Felt difference in diameters in the Area of the Neck and Shoulder Joints in my Swaged cases.

Very Happy with this new Modified Expander and Die!

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    This December 20th I placed an Order with JGS Precision for the third custom Finish Chamber reamer in my current .2795" body diameter Series, the ".25MACP WS #3" which is planned to allow firing of cases up to 1.056" in length.

This Cartridge is listed as "6.35x24mmSR" or ".25 Magnum Auto" on 'Ammoguide Interactive" Website's Cartridge Master Data Base.

best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    The "Ammoguide Interactive" Cartridge number 971 is diagrammed with the 1.024" case length but I have been trimming the 'Wildcat' Cases to 1.055" to mimic .22WMR case length.
    The 'Ammoguide Interactive' (A.I.) drawing is included below:

Note that the listed Cartridge max length is 1.260" or .236" over the case length.

The .22WMR A.I. Drawing is included below:

Note that the listed Cartridge max length is 1.350" or .295" over the case length.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-14-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    I am in the Process of changing my Case Forming Process Slightly by adding a .277" ID Hardened (Rc61) Alloy Steel Drill bushing as A last 'forming' step to remove the small tapered section of the base to avoid turning the case base to remove this tapered section.

A Pilot Drilled PT&G Blank Die body is about $20.00; the Drill Bushing is about $9.00 From "McMaster-Carr".
    I will need to use a Lathe to turn the ID of the Blank die to hold the Bushing and to thread the Top inside, probably in 1/2-20 UNF threads; as that gives .050 advance per turn of rotation, making fine adjustments of the accessories easier and Providing clearance for the body of my 'Extraction Punch'.

Also, my terminology for this cartridge design has Evolved and it is now contracted for 'short hand references' As: ".25MACP".
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    The Experimental .277" Drill Bushing based 'Shearing' Die has been completed with a PT&G die body which i bored 3/8" through; drilled the top 7/16"x1-1/2" deep and then 15/16" x1-1/2" deep followed by tapping 1/2-20UNF to nearly 1-1/2" of Full Threads (via Taper, Plug, and Bottoming taps); followed by machining the bottom end to take a press fitted 1/2"ODx1/2"L Drill bushing. The bushing is pressed into place then the Edge of the 'socket hole' is swaged over to retain the drill bushing against case extraction forces (Extraction is by Punch and Hammer).

It works Great!

Now my Formed cases will be .277" maximum diameter for full body Length.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-14-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: edited text.

Boolit Master
    Mid 2019 update:
    I have the .25MACP chambered 8-shot cylinder in hand but have not been to my Local Outdoor, nor Local Indoor, Range lately as I have been short of 'discretionary spending funds due to Utility bills, Taxes, Pet Vet and Grooming charges, Etc using up most of my budget.

As a 'putter Project in the interim I have been updating a 2.5" to the foot scaled operating model flat car to current LALSRM operating requirements. This included: 'adjusting' the coupler heights; adding a air brake train pipe to the car with LALSRM standardized end fittings; adding provisions for scale Uintah Railway Train Brake Pipe connections; and updating the flat car 'reporting markings'.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I cannot wait to see the 25 magnum results. Ive been holing off on my 25 ACP single shot rifle project just for this. If it works out I may just go with that reamer instead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    I cannot wait to see the 25 magnum results. Ive been holing off on my 25 ACP single shot rifle project just for this. If it works out I may just go with that reamer instead.

Is your Planned Single Shot Rifle set up to allow easy interchange of Barrels?
    If it is, you could have two Barrels made: one in .25ACP; and a Second in .25MACP.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Coming up on Thanksgiving holiday 2019 now and it is getting tiresome seeing the "Impeachment Debacle/Circus" on TV every night.

My Special effects Friend has been Busy this year which is GOOD for his finances.
    However; it is bad for my 'shop time' access to his machine tools.
    Awaiting Machine time to complete three Die bodies and some other Machining work such as making a metal magazine base to add to my Ruger conversion Magazine project.

My gunsmith is out of the shop this month on a Location Movie production.

Just finished getting my Driver's License renewed this year, it took from September 14th to November 22nd as the November date was the First Available Driving Test appointment date available when I was at the DMV office.
    My new license is also supposed to be a Federal qualified "Real ID" and have the word "Veteran" on its face.

My Experience Living in California, County and City of Los Angeles under long term Democratic Party Political dominance is disheartening because of the damage the Politicians have done to my State, County, and City. Unfortunately; I doubt they will be removed from Office, or Power, anytime soon.

Sad.

Best regards for Thanksgiving,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Spring Bump.

Boolit Master
    Sadly, idle here due to several reasons:
    Coronavirus "Shelter in Place" orders.
    Recovery form Surgery to drain a leg infection abscess.
    Rain intermittently keeping my outside4 'reloading shop' too damp to work in.

Chev. William

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12