RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: what do you do or did you do for a living?

Boolit Bub
    Forest tech n east tx n wla, cruise timber, look after loggers n road contractors, prescribe burn use herbicides n insecticides, trap beaver n blow their hugs n dams, trap hunt n shoot hogs, research plots boundRy line n smz markng. Have had my own logging company, precribe burning business bow n gun shop. When i got a divorce ne lost or closed all
    of it i went to being an airboat captain on airboAt spray rigs killing giant salvinia n other nuisance and invassive plants here on etx n la lakes. Then found a job back n the forest industry with great benefits to make up for lower pay, n make my own schedule n spend half my time shooting or trapping beaver otter coons n especially hogs!!

Boolit Master
    My first real job was military aircraft mechanic (flight line, hydraulics, machinist/welder by the time I retired). These days I'm an industrial service technician; Machinist/mechanic/fabricator, assemble/install, etc. Something different every day.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Truck driver UPS retired

Boolit Bub
    Lead Digital Commissioning engineer for 2 new nuclear power plants on GA.
    Westinghouse AP1000's
    First plants with all digital controls
    First plants with passive Safety Systems

PLC and Robotics programming During the lean years of nuclear power 1995 - 2013

Started in instrumentation & controls in 1980

Boolit Man
    Wholesale Plumbing Sales.

Started farming at age 3(in field with dad and fell on cut corn stock-solid scarred chin!) Claiming this early start for occupational injury coverage-yea-right!
    Continued farm work at home and neighbors until I graduated HS 59.
    Attended Southern Illinois University, School of Technology 1959-67.
    59-62 worked as student in Security Office riding horseback patrol at SIU Little Grassy lake camp for handicap children and campus(motorized-no horse).
    62 student programmer in SIU Data Processing Dept. Entered Graduate school fall 62 and was awarded ¼ time assistant ship in School of Tech. Failed pilot optical test for USAF at Scott AFB IL. 63 Added ½ time research assistant ship in Educational Research Dept doing statistical computer programming. 65 taught 1 year at Breckinridge Job Corps Center Morganfield, KY + obtaining graduate minor in statistics. 66 back to main campus and Educ Research Dept , applied for USN OCS and passed written test and interview, failed physical after glucose tolerance test, and ‘left’(they mailed my diploma) SIU finally in 67. BS in Applied Science(68 graduates received real engineering degrees!)
    Dec 67 started working for IBM as systems engineer. Took extended leave of absence(LOA) in 92, retiring officially in 96 with 29 years of service. Had mixture of customers-L&N RR, Fort Knox Armor Engineering Board, Jefferson Proving grounds, local Govt agencies, etc etc.
    After IBM LOA in 92 worked as security officer on Kentucky Lottery ‘back office’ systems. This was 3 on site AS/400 computer systems and 2 remote live back up systems. Left in 97 to work for EDS as data base administrator, 2 AS/400 systems, one in Louisville, KY and one in Plano, TX. Retired from EDS in 2007.
    Started vocational education, computerized manufacturing and machining. Currently adjunct machine tooling substitute. Attending various classes(Adult day care ).

Boolit Mold
    Technology teacher in middle school

Boolit Grand Master

I have tried every job available until I found my calling in 1968. Then spent over 39 years as a wood carver/pattern maker and mold maker for a local plastics Mfg.
    If you watch a movie during that time period your likely seeing framed mirrors from our production. During my 39+ years, there were over 2200 designs produced from table top size to 6'X11'.
    Not many can say their handy work has reflected many of the most famous faces in the world.
    Sadly The work all went to China and the plant closed 6 mo short of my retirement.
    Now I play Grand Paw to other folks little ones every weekday, and whatever flips my Bic the rest of the time.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Procurement Officer, fancy name for a purchasing agent, for at the time the largest RV Mfg.

Later my wife & I started our own small retail business, that and working for a school mate who owned a cabinet shop.

Made the wood parts for many of the Indy 500 trophies, for few years.

My claim to fame? A happy satisfied retirement & life.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

4 years underground coal mines, many years in the oil industry, & the last few years cutting trees. And a bullet business along the way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    Fixin to retire. 18 years as an air traffic controller and the last 16 as a Flight Check pilot. We are the folks that certify the approaches that aircraft use to land in bad weather. Planning to move to Texas and get another job flying in retirement.
    I wonder if our paths crossed. I retired after 25 years as an air traffic controller in 2013. Enjoy your retirement.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by plus1hdcp View Post
    I wonder if our paths crossed. I retired after 25 years as an air traffic controller in 2013. Enjoy your retirement.
    We may have talked on the radio while I was flight checking. My time as a 2152 was mostly in an AFSS in DRI AFSS. An ARTCC was way above my ability. Ya'll have my respect.

Senior Maint Tech at a Childrens Hospital. HVAC/plumbing/electrical/Med Gas/Building automation/mechanical. Prior jobs-MGR Firestone/tire assembler BFSC/Mgr Independent auto repair/Mgr Wal Mart Automotive Center/Field Artillery(Nuclear Weapons/guided missiles maint) US Army.
    US ARMY VET/13 YEARS/PERSHING 1A-PII

Boolit Master
    Built homes and aditions till my sholders went bad now watch my grandauthers and build and sell custom knives (Wild Mountain Knives )and cast and shoot lots of boolits.

Boolit Master

retired army (medical) 19D cav scout.

now I milk goats and window shop online shooting sports.
    ham radio, when I can get 5 minutes of peace in the shack
    'monkey

Thought I posted on this but i guess not.
    Slaved for Dad for 5-6 years milling flour and packaging it. Did the mandatory small jobs "constructing character" and then started in a grocery store while in high school. Worked in a freezer overnight while I got degrees in chemistry and chemical engineering. Now I'm makin' bakin'... soda as a chemical engineer (process engineer), play in the lab as a chemist, and enjoy trying to expand the career. Trying to dabble in cattle and rebuilding stuff on the side and still beggin for those small jobs where I can work as I'm getting fat workin' with the brain, but it sure pays better!

Boolit Buddy
    Academic Anesthesiologist (Retired) - Started working in the woods (Southern Oregon) in the mid-1950's setting chockers. Then went on to driving log trucks and long haul 18-wheelers while attending college and then more log hauling to help pay my way thru the rest of my educational years. Two years at Ft. Benning after graduation and then a three year residency in Anesthesiology after which I started teaching the Art and Science of Anesthesiology. Taught clinical Anesthesiology practice for over 30 years at two major Universities and retired just over 20 years ago. I've been reloading ammunition since my high school days in the early 1950's and casting lead alloy boolits for nearly 30 years and I'm still learning new things about this fascinating hobby/addiction. After retirement I attended a Community College where I earned my certification in welding (stick and mig) and then took a year and a half of Machine Shop practice to learn how to run metal lathes, vertical and horizontal milling machines, band saws, etc, something I'd always wanted to do but just couldn't find time to do. Glad to see we're getting so many new members, especially the younger ones. As I discovered after I'd retired, working with bright, inquisitive young people really helps to keep one feeling young. Retired now and without that daily stimulation, I'm really beginning to feel my 78+ years!!

sleeper1428

Boolit Man
    IT for the last 25 years. Multiple hats while in college.
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Can't say

I still want cows though.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast