Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: M1 garand question

M1 garand question

A few years ago I bought an M1 as a project. It has sat in my safe since then. It is not a collectible, but a shooter.

The barrel and action are in very good condition. However, the rear sight was milled off somewhere along the line before I got it.

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to install either scope rings or a rear sight. I live about an hour from Williams Gun Sight, near Flint, MI. Any ideas?

Mike--I wish you would have included a couple of photos. I'm assuming that you mean the ears that the sight mounts into have been removed, leaving a flat platform. If so, it should be no problem to drill and tap the area to mount a conventional rear sight of some sort. There are many choices and manufacturers, so it's kind of hard to be more specific than that until you have a particular sight in mind. Naturally, a big concern would be that the mounting screws didn't extend through the top of the receiver into the bolt channel to interfere with travel of the bolt, but there would be no problem if the holes were drilled completely through as there is no pressure to be contained at that location. As for scope mounts, several of those are available also, and tend to mostly be mounted on the left side of the receiver with the scope offset to the left so as not to interfere with ejection. Some require little or no actual gunsmithing, and you might start by checking with B-Square.

Boolit Master

Who ever did that to an M1 should be roped and drug through cactus
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Scope not so much unless side mounted like a D or scout. Would love to see picture of situation, drill and tap and aftermarket peep or something is option post homework.
    Last edited by Gtek; 04-19-2016 at 05:37 PM.

You nailed it Der G. the ears were milled off leaving a flat platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Mike--I wish you would have included a couple of photos. I'm assuming that you mean the ears that the sight mounts into have been removed, leaving a flat platform. If so, it should be no problem to drill and tap the area to mount a conventional rear sight of some sort. There are many choices and manufacturers, so it's kind of hard to be more specific than that until you have a particular sight in mind. Naturally, a big concern would be that the mounting screws didn't extend through the top of the receiver into the bolt channel to interfere with travel of the bolt, but there would be no problem if the holes were drilled completely through as there is no pressure to be contained at that location. As for scope mounts, several of those are available also, and tend to mostly be mounted on the left side of the receiver with the scope offset to the left so as not to interfere with ejection. Some require little or no actual gunsmithing, and you might start by checking with B-Square.

Boolit Grand Master

Safe yes but the majority of the Garand are case hardened 8120. The case can be hard on taps.

Yes, Garands can be tough stuff. If you decide to do the drill and tap job yourself there's an old gunsmith trick that will make it easier, which is to take a small oxy-acetylene torch tip and slowly bring the pin pointed flame down to the exact spot where you want to drill the hole, and then slowly back off and let it cool. You'll anneal the steel at that one spot and make drilling and tapping easier. But--try it first without the heat. There are also such things as carbide drill bits and taps that can make things easier.

Boolit Grand Master

Carbide drills aren't bad at $15 to $25.00 each but I haven't found a carbide 6-48 tap for less than $138.00
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-20-2016 at 12:48 AM.

Could do a scout mount. I believe it replaces top/rear handguard.

+1 on what Jupiter7 wrote. Forward mounted scout mount w/long eye relief scope is what I did with my H&R Garand just over a year ago because of old eyes. Now my beloved Garand is out of the safe and back to the range and woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I could not agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    No kidding! Sacriligeous s.o.b.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    No kidding! Sacriligeous s.o.b.
    Amen to that.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Bub
    I've seen pictures of m1's modified to take a redfield olympic sight, thought the one I can find online still has the receiver ears in tact.

And I've seen sporters where the rear sight is deleted and a more typical aftermarket sight is installed on the barrel. As pointed out earlier drilling in garand receivers is notoriously hard, breaking a tap in one would be an unparalleled hell. I'd especially try and avoid drilling the receiver+barrel area.

On the plus side the damage is done, you are free to pursue what ever sort of project you find interesting.

Boolit Master

I'm with Hickok, leave em alone.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I would think about how the enblock clip will be interfered with by the scope tube. You know " eight in the black and then a ping " might become eight in the black and then a clunk , @@%$$**&. You will need to mount the scope off center or forward for loading and ejection. If I have misunderstood any part of this discussion , and subsequently made a silly remark I apologize.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

An appeture scope can be mounted and the rifle still function correctly. If you want to mount a scope t has to be off to the side so that clip loading and ejection can still be done. There was a block made for years that was installed on the back of the barrel for mounting the scope to. This block had a hole thru it the barrel was turned for a shrink fit to the block and a shoulder length of slightly less than the block by .002-.003. This allowed the shirk and clamp of the barrel to reciever to hold the block securly in place. The rear hand gaurd needed to be shortened accordingly also. This block allowed for a side mounted scope offset to the left side allowing for loading and ejection. The scope mount is very similar to the side mounts for the M1A/M14 with 1 screw locking it to the block. Conventonally mounted scopes need to be mounted high and the clip cant be removed easily. The stock on the garand has no cheek piece to speak of so the high mounted scope magnifies a problem already there more. ( Lack of cheek weld). I believe barrels can be found with the block machined onto them also.