Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Short chambered barrels from Brownells

Short chambered barrels from Brownells

Does anyone know who makes these barrels for Brownells. A friend said he thought it was Shilen but it would be good if someone knew for certain who the maker is.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...e_Barrels_Main
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master

Most likely whoever gives them the best price. I have heard Green Mountain but I don't know for sure. Green mountain barrels are as good as any other, I use quite a few.

It has been several years since I have bought a short chamber barrel from Brownells. At that time the barrels were made by Shilen for the Mauser and Remington actions and were very accurate barrels. Call Brownells and ask their tech people who makes their barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    It has been several years since I have bought a short chamber barrel from Brownells. At that time the barrels were made by Shilen for the Mauser and Remington actions and were very accurate barrels. Call Brownells and ask their tech people who makes their barrels.
    A bit far to call from here in NZ
    Von Gruff.

Boolit Master

I thought they've been using Green Mountain Barrels for the last couple of years for their Adams & Bennett house barrels but they've had Shilens on hand for a long time as well.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

adams and bennet **** is midwayusa, not brownells.

Boolit Grand Master

ER Shaw manufactured
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Don't know who makes them either, but at one time I had barrels from both Midway and Brownells and I they were not exactly the same. May have been made by the same manufacturer but certainly not to the same specifications. Can't say one was better than the other, just different.

Boolit Grand Master

"I called Brownells, it turns out they are Shaw barrels." from thefiringline

guy probably has no reason to lie
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    They used to catalogue them as Shilen, and I can't imagine either firm permitting such a popular line to go to barrelmakers that would produce a significantly inferior product.

What I am sorry to see go is the now vanished long chambered barrels for the Mauser 98, which were headspaced by reducing the rear face of the barrel, which butts on the internal stop-ring. Probably man's instinct for self-immolation ploduced undue optimism in someone who decided even filework couldn't really be essential.

Boolit Grand Master

Brownells still offers short chambered Shilen barrels for LR and SR mausers for about 300.00 each, these "IN HOUSE BARRELS" run 84.95 now and are not Shilen manufactured. They used to offer 98 mauser barrels fully chambered from CR Douglas also but no longer due. In the early 1990's a Shaw barrel was 100.00(75.00 with FFL from Shaw) Shilen through Brownells with FFL was 125.00, Douglas was about 160.00. When Ruger bought a hammer forge rifling machine(1993 or so)Wilson had thousands of blanks ready that Ruger no longer needed, B Perazone of Roxbury, NY threaded, chambered and sold for 60.00 each, he offered LR & SR mauser, 1917 coned breech and P 14 flat breeched barrels. Ah the good old days
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    Does anyone know who makes these barrels for Brownells. A friend said he thought it was Shilen but it would be good if someone knew for certain who the maker is.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...e_Barrels_Main
    VG, I think anyone who thought about it just a bit wouldn't come to that conclusion. A Shilen barrel, short chambered, threaded, contoured and crowned for 84.95, I'll take a truck load!
    Charter Member #148

It was just an enquirey on what I had been told but it may have been a mixed message in that they had at one time offered the Shilen barrels but in any case I have been very pleased with the 6.5 barrel I got having shortened slightly and rechambered it to 6.5x57 for this rifle
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-custom-6-5x57
    Von Gruff.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice small ring mauser, wish I could do stock work like you. I'm guessing the blind magazine drops a pound off the finished weight of the rifle. As for the barrels, I put one on a 98 for the brother in 308, first group out of it was five into slightly less than an inch at the local 100 yd range, not going to hear me complain about the quality or the price.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    It was just an enquirey on what I had been told but it may have been a mixed message in that they had at one time offered the Shilen barrels but in any case I have been very pleased with the 6.5 barrel I got having shortened slightly and rechambered it to 6.5x57 for this rifle
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-custom-6-5x57
    Very nice project! I'm curious what you will be hunting with it?

Mostly goat in the high country here. There are also red and fallow deer in the area so a 120gn TTSX at just on 3000fps or a 140gn C&C Prive Partisan at 2800fps will do for anything I may come accross.
    Von Gruff.