WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Need Help with Lyman 45 Lube/sizer

Need Help with Lyman 45 Lube/sizer

So I got a large lot of reloading equipment from an older gentleman who can no longer shoot. While sorting it all out I found a Lyman 45. I have a basic idea of how it works, but I am new to lubesizers so I'm not too sure. After digging around the internet I am aware I am missing a wrench that goes on top. I've read a little about brass o rings that sit inside where the die goes as well and that I may need a new one. Anyhow... I thought this had no die in it but after researching and cleaning it up I can make out 452 on the die, but it is stuck. I've tried heating it a bit and pushing it out but it is stuck down inside... I will have a better go at it in the morning. I am also missing the set screw for the die... does anyone know where I can purchase one of these? Will lyman 450/4500 dies fit in this? If not where can I purchase dies that fit this? Also I read about a crack that can occur on these, I have looked and dont believe it is cracked but im not sure where im supposed to be looking... I'll attach some pictures. Any help would be appreciated!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7185.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	166541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7184.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	166542

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Here's the wrench for the shaft. You can maybe find one on fleabay, but this is where I get mine.
    http://chapmanmfg.com/collections/in...-ratchet-cm-13
    (they are always in demand. Order a few of them to save shipping and sell the extras here)

As for the brass grease seal inside the big shaft (there isn't one around the die, only one in the large tube to push the grease), order the modern replacement here:
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page150.html
    and you want this part:
    Replacement Parts 4500/450 - ( 2) Pressure Nut (with two o-rings) formerly 2990146
    $5.00 (same with these too..... order a couple extra and sell on here. Folks always want em.)

as for the set screw... they offer one on that page, but I don't know if it's the same one. Maybe somebody else has ordered that and can help.
    The dies and the pressure nuts are the same, but I have never ordered any set screws.
    Lyman and RCBS dies will fit this. You need to make sure that the dies you get will have the groove around the top for the set screw to hold the die in place. (newer models use a locking nut over the top of the die to hold it)

You're on the right track. Look around and read a bit more and look at some pictures and you'll be happily lubing in no time! The Lyman 45 is a wonderful machine.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I also acquired one that had been siting around meaning the die was completely stuck and not responding to my attempts to use heat or penetrating oil or force to move it out. Ended up sending it to a gentleman who used to post here who knew what he was doing and fixed it easily. It was apparently as simple as can be for him so someone here should turn up to help you. Don't give up hope or damage the equipment trying without knowledge.

If there is no die hold in screw ( remove it if there is ) bolt the press down , then warm it ,heat gun ,hair drier,light bulb,or what have you ,then pull the lever down,holding it down insert some kind of spacer on the bottom bar where it contacts the plunger pin ( a couple of stick on ww's or a flat nose boolit works well ) then pull the lever back up ,this should start the die up ,if it doesn't and the press is warm smuck the bottom of the bar with a non-marring hammer a lil love tap or few,that should start the die up ,again make sure that the die set screw hole is empty before attempting to remove the die
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

Buy a ratchet and 1/4" socket for a handle. To put pressure on the lube to squeeze out on the bullet, crank counter clock wise. You can buy the rubber O rings at most hardware stores, Auto parts store.

Boolit Master
    randy, you may have to use a propane torch to get the lube soft enough. If the sizer has the old black Lyman lube in it, that stuff can turn into glue over time. You may have to take the bracket off the lower part of the sizer and drive the die out with a punch from the bottom . I had to do that on one of mine. I can send you a set screw if you give me your address. They are simply a small Allen screw or any screw for that matter as long as it is the same size, it doesn't have to be an Allen head.I have an extra assortment of dies for the 45 and they are not the same as the dies for the 450 no matter what people tell you. The dies for the 450 and 4500 are the same diameter from top to bottom, the dies for the 45 are smaller in diameter on the lower half. Send me a e-mail if you have more questions. The 45 is a good sizer once you get it working.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Got the die out, and noticed a nice big scratch where the set screw was (I took the bottom off and hammered the die out) so there was a set screw in there.. It's just a hex key that was way in there. Any how I'm trying to remove that rod with the pressure nut but it's just spinning in place and not backing out... Any thoughts?

What a mess.. I figured it out. I do not however have the same pressure nut thing everyone else says with o rings.. Mine is coated with brass or something.. Odd? Looks like it's all here though

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    The old one doesn't have o rings. It was replaced by a new steel one with two o rings. The old one is just a brass expansion ring.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

Swmass, Have you perused through this thread ?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p-instructions
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Bolting it down helps
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Swmass, Have you perused through this thread ?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p-instructions

Wow, that would have been nice to have! Its simple enough where I messed around with it and got it all stripped down, boiled and clean. I sized a few 45s with it and its working good. Now to fill it with lube. The restorations are cool. Some of those beat up ones make mine look nice lol! Maybe I'll make a little project out of it. I also kind of like the old beat up look of it... hmmm

Sizer is all set up and cranking but I have noticed my 38 bullets are really hard to get into the die, and they are shaving off slivers of lead that is getting stuck in the lube that inside of the lube grooves.... Ive never had this problem before but I always tumble lubed before running my bullets through the push through sizer. Any thoughts? Am I supposed to tumble lube before sizing them with a lube sizer? Im just worried that the lead shavings stuck in the lube are going to lead my barrel up.

The older Lyman dies cut the boolit to size whereas the modern ones swage it. If you look into the top of it, the old ones have a step while the newer ones slope into the sizing section like push throughs do.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    The older Lyman dies cut the boolit to size whereas the modern ones swage it. If you look into the top of it, the old ones have a step while the newer ones slope into the sizing section like push throughs do.
    I have heard this before, and while I don't have any "proof" that this is incorrect, my experience tells me not to believe it. Of the 30 or so Lyman dies I've used, most of which are not the new O-ring style, I have only come across two dies that had an abrupt edge inside (.311 and .411), Both still sized PB boolits without shearing/cutting the excess lead from the boolit, but I will say, both made it nearly impossible to size/crimp a GC on. I did chamfer/polish the abrupt edge into a smooth ramp and solved my GC problems.
    That's my 2˘

swmass,
    If your die has an abrupt edge inside, that may be your problem. If your die is a newer style with the O-ring, it may have not been polished properly. That will surely cause a boolit that is .002 oversize or larger to do as you say, "are really hard to get into the die, and they are shaving off slivers of lead that is getting stuck in the lube that inside of the lube grooves". I have bought one brand new lyman die that acted like that, I cleaned the die and inspected it closely, I could clearly see machining lines inside. So, I polished it, and it functioned fine afterwards.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001