Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30.06 & noe 311299

Boolit Buddy
    Update

I made it back out to the range to try and work on the hang fire issue and do some retesting. I loaded up 3 rounds with 4895 with 1 gr of dacron filler. I actually weighed the dacron and 1 gr is a big tuft of the stuff. I set up my target at 100 yards and got settled in. There was no hang fire at all and I was impressed with the 3 shot group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0637_opt (2).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	170715

I split the 1 gr tuft and it looked kind of elongated. The 3 shot group was still very nice. The one flyer was a slight hang fire. Not as bad as last time but it did throw me off.

Name:	100_0640_opt (2).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	170716

I tinkered around with the tuft size and there is definitely a tipping point between too little and just right. I got to the point when I could eyeball the tuft for the correct size fairly well. This was my last 3 shot group at 100 yards.

Name:	100_0642_opt (2).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	170717

I put another target up at 200 yards and held dead center with my 100 yard zero. I say 100 yard zero but in reality the 20 MOA scope base had me hitting 2" high at 100 yards and I could not correct any drop as my elevation was maxed out for hitting lower. Anyway I held dead on at 200 and was about 6 moa low. I adjusted and fired again. I was good on elevation but I had to adjust 6 moa left to get on the paper. Once I got dialed in I held close to a 2 moa group at 200 yards.

Name:	100_0644_opt (2).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	170718

I didn't have a target stand at 300 yards so I shot at the 12" x 16" steel. I adjusted 12 moa from my 100 yard zero and rang the steel with consistency.

Next up was the 400 yard target. It is slightly larger but not by a lot. If I hit it I knew I was really on to something. Here is where I goofed. I made an adjustment but wrote the wrong data. I'm showing 12 moa for 300 and 400 yards. Whatever I was doing was working because I was making that sucker clang.

Oh boy I thought. Here comes the biggie. 500 yards. 21 moa and 7 moa left, Clang! I didn't hit it every time but I did hit it 3 out of 5 times.

So now I have hit the steel all the way out to 500 yards with regularity. Enough to know I am onto something good. I settle in and try for the 600 yard gong. This is the target that was the original goal for me to hit with this boolit/rifle combo. Sad to say but I didn't hit it. The berm was grassed up and I couldn't see where the bullet was splashing so I really had no idea what to adjust. It is safe for now because it it time to go fishing but next week it had better watch out. I know I have that 600 yard target concerned now.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Good update! Nice groups and good luck on the fishing trip.

Boolit Buddy
    Update 27 June

Today's updates:

My best 300 yard group

My best 400 yard group

I started out at 300 and 6 MOA was the ticket. The pic shows what happened at 8 moa but it was the best groups just high. At 400 yards it was 13.5 moa. At 500 yards it took 21 moa. At this point 500 yards was the furthest hit I have made with lead. The next target was 550 yards and I drilled it with 27 moa. I was a very happy camper at this point & the goal target of 600 yards was next. 38 moa smacked the steel. I had reached my goal! There was only one thing left to do so I gave the 700 yard target a whirl. 51 moa later Ping! What a day I was having.

There was only one target left and at 815 yards I never really expected to give it a go but it was happening today. I was out of adjustment & ml dots so I had to SWAG it. My mil dots will go down 8 moa then the top of the thick part of the reticle would be 10 moa. I split the difference on the thick bottom reticle & placed the middle of the thick part on the target. It was somewhere beyond 60 moa at this point. A few shots later & clang. I was so pleased with the results. I hit it once out of 10 tries. The wind shift caused me to barley miss both left & right but I did have the correct height. Not great but it is the longest shot I have every made in my lifetime & I did it with one of my boolits!

The 1 gr piece of dacron was the ticket to cure hang fires. Every shot did just like it was suppose to do. Instantaneous pow at the pull of the trigger. I will be sticking with this load for sure.

Today was a great day!
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

Not great but it is the longest shot I have every made in my lifetime & I did it with one of my boolits!
    Outstanding!

I really enjoy shooting at long range where one needs to not only know his trajectory and sight settings for same, but how to read the wind or mirage as well in order to get consistent hits.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! Even kept good notes, apparently.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    What I thought about MOA was not how it actually is. I watched a video the other day and certainly had the MOA deal confused. I said I was shooting 60+ MOA to hit the 800 yard target. If that was the case I think I would have been shooting straight up if I understand correctly. What I was counting was 4 click MOA but I wasn't thinking in specific MOA per yardage. Hope I explained that right. If nothing else I know how many clicks it takes to hit each target at each distance now.

Hey what can I say about this long range stuff? It is still new to me but I'm getting there.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12