Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: PT2090 wad for 20 ga. Triball

Boolit Master

PT2090 wad for 20 ga. Triball

I recently sent a query to Ballistic Products on the possible return of the PT2090 20 gauge wad to the product line.

The PT2090 remains the only 20 gauge wad I have found with a sufficiently strong* gas seal to stand up to 3 x .52" Triball Buckshot loads.

The reply:

Thank you for your email. At this time, we did not restock the the PT2090’s, however, the next time we order I will bring some in. I wouldn’t expect them for 6-12 months.

Shannon Swahn
    General Manager/Sales Administrator
    shannon@ballisticproducts.com
    Ballistic Products, Inc.

----------------------------

This is indeed encouraging!

*No need for insert wads or O rings. No gas seal failure from high muzzle pressure in barrels under 26 inches.

Ref: PT2090 formerly the VP90

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...+gauge+triball

See post #6
    Last edited by RMc; 04-21-2016 at 09:44 PM.

In Remembrance

Are these different from the PT2092 wads?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master
    No comparison:

-Thick shot cup - .520" maximum ball* size.

-Thick base - No need for additional card wads or O rings.

-Thick, non-vented gas seal -No gas seal flare or tearing from high muzzle pressure, particularly in barrels shorter than 26 inches.

Previously know as the VP90, the PT2090 has been plagued by intermittent availability.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/VP90%20data.pdf Note: The wad pictured next to the data is not the VP90

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/PT2...nfo/222PT2090/

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ima...2PT2090_lg.jpg

.520" Lee 6 cavity mold source:
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/4/LEE-520-6C
    Last edited by RMc; 04-23-2016 at 02:31 PM.

In Remembrance

cool!

so these would need to be slit for triball loads?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master
    Yes, slit for four petals.

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    cool!

so these would need to be slit for triball loads?

In Remembrance

Well, I am always willing to improve on my 20ga tri-ball load. Will have to add yet another test load to that far-off-in-the-future range day!

that glorious day!!!

Boolit Master
    An increasing number of requests for the PT2090 would have a positive influence in speeding its return to the BP line!

In Remembrance

understood

Boolit Master
    Buckshot in the 20 gauge - another perspective...

When the handloader steps away from traditional Western #9 buckshot and moves up to 33 gauge buckshot pellets, the "little 20" takes on a different "persona" in the hunting field.

Boolit Buddy
    Is there a replacement wad? I havent seen them get the pt2090 wad in.

Bardo

Boolit Grand Master

The PT2090 is in stock right now at BPI.

Boolit Buddy
    Dang i just put in an order 3 days ago and it said discontiued. But i just ordered 1000 wads and 500 3" hulls. Thanks for pointing that out.

Boolit Grand Master

BPI is pretty disappointing with their wads. They only run a certain type for a handful of years. The only one I would consider old is the BP12.