Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 3 jaw Lathe chuck backplate

Boolit Buddy

3 jaw Lathe chuck backplate

I have a buck ajust tru 3 jaw Chuck that I need to trade sell or get working on my clausing. I had a backplate for it that fit my old southbend but it went with the trade on my newer clauaing with L00 spindle. Here's my situation. The plant I worked at closed and I'm clearing out and repurposing everything I can because little income. I can't afford to buy a custom L00 backplate from buck and I don't know what to do. If I could get a used or almost scrap L00 backplate with enough material left to turn a boss that will fit this Chuck then I'd be in business. The boss I'd need to turn would be 4.750 diameter and right at an inch depth. If there are no options I'd like to trade it for a milling attachment or handgun of some sort. Thanks for any help. I know it was a long post

Boolit Master
    I bought a blank casting for a backplate once, from Travers or one of the big mail order outfits. I made a faceplate out of it, but it was made to be bored and threaded for the lathe spindle, then trued and fitted to a chuck.

As I recall, the casting was only $20 or so. If you can't find a used faceplate to modify, this might be an option for you.

Boolit Master
    I have made more than one on the lathe it was to go on. L00 would take a bit of work, but can be done with reasonable care.

Boolit Master
    GONRA's experience is that Bent Ramfod's suggestion is the way to go.
    Can selective fit threads onto YOUR lathe spindle for great concentricity repeatability
    after fitting to your chuck. Thinking about "redoing" some of my chucks this way....

Boolit Buddy
    yea if I had a blank that fit L00 then I could mount it and turn it to fit the chuck. I just thought a blank L00 backplate was like 300 bucks