WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bevel base bullets

Boolit Bub

Bevel base bullets

I am using Lee's copy of h&g 68. It has a bevel base. My problem is the lube from a Lyman sizer build up on the base that is beveled and contaminates the power. What do you guys do with bevel based bullets?

Boolit Master
    Some use a disk made from styrofoam for that problem, also reducing the pressure on the lube......the best is to use a Star sizer and you don't get that .

Le Loup Solitaire
    Using a Saeco lubrisizer, I have only one BB bullet in 38 special. I had a machinist friend make an "I" die that matched the bevel so that no lube could fill it. Solved the problem. LLS

H&G # 68 only has one lube grove, Have You tried adjusting the ram up or down to only fill that grove ? Or perhaps You have more lube holes in the die than You need and can plug some of them to only fill the one grove.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Grand Master

Adjust the lube sizer very carefully , get the top hole lined up with the lube groove and above the bevel. A bit of trial and error required , but it helps. I have always been able to hit a sweet spot and not have to resort to plugging up holes in the die . Go as light as you can on pressure , just enough to to fill the groove and no more. 98% filled groove is enough when using a good lube. I use a soft lube on a warm day .
    Mine is a Lyman 450 . By adjusting it to each boolit and going light on the pressure you can avoid having to buy another unit, Lyman's will work.
    Lay a rag flat across your thigh ( I sit and size) if lube is on the base , rub it across the rag.
    Another member removed the bevel from a Lee mould with his sharp pocket knife pen blade and Ta-Dah...no more bevel. I would just screw up a mould if I tried that .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-21-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    I cut out a foam egg carton disc using a sharpened fired case. It will usually stick to the I die and last for awhile. When it wears out just cut another. Also careful adjustment takes some of the work off the disc.

The styrofoam disc , also consider bb's to be great candidates for tumble lubing - especially in low demanding applications
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Super Moderator

I have an RCBS 45 185 SWC BB mold. I love this boolit for use in 45ACP, both revovers and autos. I "sharpen" a 45ACP case by over-chamfering the inside and outside of the case mouth. I then use it like a cookie cutter to cut the styrofoam discs from an egg carton. As mentioned above, this method works pretty well. The styrofoam conforms to the boolit bases. You have to replace every so often, no big deal. I use it in an RCBS LamII.

Boolit Grand Master

I use one of my pid units to control the heater when using Carnuba Red lube. this and easy on the pressure has stopped the lube on the base problem.
    Lead shot works well to plug extra holes in the sizer die.

Boolit Grand Master

Styrofoam as mentioned.

I had one BB mold and just avoid that style now.

Boolit Master

When I was planning on buying my first lube sizer I did lots of research and I settled on the Star as the issue of correct tooling (read, more expense and less mold choices) for different nose profiles and problems with lube on bevel bases. I know there are fixes for lube on the bases but the design of the Star lube sizer is superior IMHO as there is no need for different nose punches and nose first sizing is better as there is less chance of bent CB's. The initial cost may be higher but the savings of not needing different top punches adds up fast. Added to the mix is the ability of adding a feeder unit that dramatically increases the production rate.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by splotch View Post
    I am using Lee's copy of h&g 68. It has a bevel base. My problem is the lube from a Lyman sizer build up on the base that is beveled and contaminates the power. What do you guys do with bevel based bullets?
    I had Buckshot trim off the BB of my LEE H&G 68 clone.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin