MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem.

Boolit Master
    Earlwb,

It looks like you have a Marble's rear sight on your rifle. If you hold the top thimble while turning the bottom one clockwise it will loosen it (move it further down the shaft). Then the top thimble can be turned to push the peep sight up or down. When done, turn the bottom thimble counter-clockwise to bring it up against the top one to lock it in place. There's not a lot of space to do this; just a turn or less from "unlock" to "lock."

The one I have always seems to "self-tighten," too. Some Kroil and leather-padded small pliers (and a careful, light touch) are often necessary. I've seen few used ones that don't have the knurling flattened or otherwise marred, so a lot of people must have had trouble with the things.

I have one on a rifle I'm always trying new loads on, so I just leave the bottom thimble loose. Why Marble thought they needed a lock ring, I have no idea. The Lymans do fine without one, and I never notice the Marble sight moving up or down by itself, either.

The book on the 8 and the 81 has instructions on how to make the spanner that takes the end nut off the barrel jacket.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I got alot of good info on the Remington Society site.
    Mine doesn't have the rear peep sight. One of my Winchesters has it. They're pricey on ebay.
    I'd like to take the barrel assembly apart to clean and lube it. Any suggestions for a spanner wrench?
    I was thinking that one may need to make a tool for it. Maybe a adjustable two prong pin spanner as it would be easier to make. I never tried taking mine all apart. All I did was remove the barrel assembly a few times. But I can clean the gun fairly well without taking it apart. I never wanted to mess with the barrel spring or the recoil spring. That doesn't look like fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Earlwb,

It looks like you have a Marble's rear sight on your rifle. If you hold the top thimble while turning the bottom one clockwise it will loosen it (move it further down the shaft). Then the top thimble can be turned to push the peep sight up or down. When done, turn the bottom thimble counter-clockwise to bring it up against the top one to lock it in place. There's not a lot of space to do this; just a turn or less from "unlock" to "lock."

The one I have always seems to "self-tighten," too. Some Kroil and leather-padded small pliers (and a careful, light touch) are often necessary. I've seen few used ones that don't have the knurling flattened or otherwise marred, so a lot of people must have had trouble with the things.

I have one on a rifle I'm always trying new loads on, so I just leave the bottom thimble loose. Why Marble thought they needed a lock ring, I have no idea. The Lymans do fine without one, and I never notice the Marble sight moving up or down by itself, either.

The book on the 8 and the 81 has instructions on how to make the spanner that takes the end nut off the barrel jacket.
    Thanks for the information. I think I was trying one thing when I needed to do two things to get it to work.

Boolit Master
    Best expression I heard for shooting one is "its like shooting a pogo stick". Nice thing if you reduce the loads they stay on the bolt and its easy to empty it. Mine will never be forsale by me.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Shooting the Winchester Self Loaders reminds me of that strongman circus game where you hit the lever with a hammer and try and ring the bell.
    The Winchester Self Loaders and the Remington Model 8 came out at just about the same time. Competition or cooperation? Either way is fine with me. Great guns.

Boolit Master
    The Remington 8 is a long recoil Browning design that works just like the Auto-5 shotgun. I have a 1915 made Model 8 in 35 Remington with Marbles peep sight that is a joy to shoot. It has an extended recoil cycle that seems mild and drops the empty cases right next to my feet. I believe that they are all takedown guns, and I have an old 24"X6"X8" wooden case that looks like a carpenter's tool box, lined with muslin and leather handled, to store the gun in takedown. You can carry such a package onto anything without x-ray and nobody would ever think that you were carrying a gun.

The only concern with takedown is that you have to verify that the bolt is in correct rotation in re-assembling. Recoil in the Model 8 is less than other 35 Remington guns I have (Marlin 336SC, Remington 14, Savage 170) but the extended cycle can take getting used to. The duration of cycle seems longer than the same action in a Franchi 48AL shotgun (aluminum receiver copy of the Auto-5). Keeping the gun correctly oiled optimizes cycle time. Mine has the extended 10 round "police" magazine.

Coincidentally, I was also able to find a 1907 Winchester with 10 round magazine. The 351 uses an increased weight blowback that actually recoils more than the Model 8, and makes for a heavier gun. I lucked into a bunch of closeout Jameson purpose built ammo for it, and it is a fun gun to shoot, being the original "assault rifle".

Both guns were used by FBI and police during the gangster era. The 35 Remington was the only commonly available and reliable repeater that would stop a Model T with one shot to the engine block. Either will kill deer sized game with aplomb. I was able to get both of these guns in the 250$ bracket, but these are Penna prices in the 2012 time frame.
    Last edited by justashooter; 04-20-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have an original Remington model 81 Police Gun with the 15 round magazine. Only one I have ever seen, and I've only seen one more for sale 20 years ago. Mine is a .35 Remington with the Marble tang sight. It is fun to shoot and does shoot the RCBS 35-200FN pretty well. The shotgun butt is comfortable to shoot and recoil is not a problem. The long spring does take some getting used to. Never tried to shoot a group, but I'm sure it is capable of minute-of-deer accuracy. Yes, it once belonged to a Police Dept. and was the original "SWAT" gun.

Boolit Master
    That is pretty neat, getting a Remington .35 Rem police gun. I don't think they converted very many of them at the time back then. If I remember right the semi-auto rifle chambered for the .351 Winchester sort of stole some of .35 Remington's thunder with the police departments.

One won't be enough! They are habit forming. I got a .300 Sav model 81 recently and although it kicks like hell I love to shoot it. Cast boolit loads tame it down considerably and it's one of those rifles you just marvel at every time you handle it. If I find a model 8 in .32 Rem in good condition- well I'll just have to have it! Best, Thomas.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had one a few years back. Felix set me up with some factory new brass for it. I recall Buckshot told me when you shoot a Model 8, every single part moves. He is correct, and I always kinda giggled when I shot it, thinking about that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting the Model 8 quite a bit, with 158 gr .358 cast bullets, 20 gr IMR 4227 and Grumpa-made brass. Great shooter - no jams, misfires, failures to eject, etc. The brass pops straight up, then drops. I've also been shooting the Winchester Self Loader .401, which has nasty recoil.
    I've been using a portable, step-on bird thrower with my Remington Model 11 (12 ga), which has the same long recoil as the Model 8. I decided to try a round of trap at my club (my first time actually shooting trap - I shot skeet back in the 80s). I'd like to say I broke them all, but 20 was it. I really like the long recoiling rifle and shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post

I was looking for one rifle that would round out my list, and that was the 1910 Winchester Self Loader .401.
    I figured I'd never find one after looking for a few years (locally), so I bought the 1917 .30-06, telling my wife it'd probably be the last rifle I'd buy.
    Sure enough, a week later, a .401 came into the store.
    Well, I got it and it was definitely the last rifle I'd buy.
    Then, yesterday, I saw the Remington Model 8 .35 Rem.
    I have it on hold and it's definitely the last rifle I'll ever buy...
    The funny thing is that I had about 10 fired .35 Rem cases that I got last year (I liked the box) and last week I converted them into .401 WSL.

Realize it's a sickness (most of us have) - there's no cure from acquiring yet another gun..........

Boolit Master
    A little side note - I recently got this leg of mutton gun case (patent date 1907). Apparently they were made for the take-down rifles and shotguns, the Remington Model 8 & 11, and the Winchester Self Loaders. They fit perfectly inside - one compartment for the barrel, the other for the stock and receiver. This one shows its age, but it's in great shape. It still has the green felt lining inside.

Boolit Mold
    I have a model 8 in 35 and it was made in 1927. I had good results with the Lyman 358315 gas check with homemade lube, 20.5 grains of SR4759, Remington brass and Remington 9.5 primer. At 50 degrees temperature, average velocity was 1735 and standard deviation was 21.88. It cycled the action fine and was still mild to shoot compared to factory rounds. 36 grains of IMR-4895 also shot well but I have more of the SR4759. Velocity of factory 200 grain rounds was slightly over 2000. For dating when the rifle was made, it's easy to look it up on the "great model 8" website, but there also date codes stamped on the left side of the barrel jacket just in front of the receiver. This will tell you when those parts were made. The barrel jacket on mine was made in 1928, following the receiver which was made in 27. I wanted one of these because it was put into production when my dad was born. Oddly enough, two of the month and day patent dates are my birthday, my dad's birthday and the rifle receiver was made the year my mother was born. Obviously, the years don't apply but I found it interesting. Good luck with yours and happy shooting.

Battis, that's a very nice case.

Boolit Bub

Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem.

In 1954, on a deer hunt with relatives, an Uncle had that rifle and shot a deer. He was kidded a lot with the idea that, "Hell with that rifle the 'ole man just threw out so much lead the poor thing just died trying to climb over the pile". I just remember it as being a lot heavier than my 94.

Boolit Master
    This is a pretty good video about the Remington Model 8.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQxCTTq_Gwg

Boolit Buddy

They are interesting rifles, built in a different era, but do wear a broad brimmed hat when you shoot it! The brass is ejected straight up - and it is rather a thrill when a hot case goes down the back of your shirt.

Bought a 81 in .35 just for a jack rabbit cast boolit rifle. Loved it but the right hand scope set up, I just never could get comfortable with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12