Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 Magnum Lee Loader effort?

Boolit Buddy

44 Magnum Lee Loader effort?

I just tried my new (to me, actually used) Lee Loader in 44 Mag. My opinion of "considerable effort" and Lee's must be very different. Really chewed up a piece of pine baluster trying to get a case driven "flush" with the die. (using Imperial sizing die wax) Then using lanolin and an eight ounce brass hammer, almost completely obliterated the headstamp on the case by the time it got to within 1/8 of an inch of being "flush with the die." Finished destroying the pine trying RCBS spray lube. So I'm guessing it isn't just the type of lube I'm using.
    Tried case on table hitting die as well as the normal method of die down and striking the case.
    Had used Ed's red and steel wool to make sure it was clean inside before trying it. This much effort would have sized 100 cases on the Rockchucker thru the carbide die.
    Guess I should try polishing the inside of the die? I have some 3 micron (5000 grit?) diamond powder I could make into a paste and spin on a tight patch using a drill.
    Anybody else have this much trouble?

I have loaded 7.62x54r brass with a lee loader but I think I used a bigger hammer.
    I have a pretty hefty rubber mallet that drove them home in one shot. Bout 2" in diameter and 4 inches long.
    This was before I knew about imperial sizing wax or lanolin.

I do know that different brands of brass can vary greatly in size.

Is this brass fired in your gun? Range pickups? Possible oversize chamber?
    The devil is in the details.

Boolit Grand Master
    Stupid question time. Did you drive the brass into the sizing side or the crimping side of the die?

Reason I ask is I remember seeing a picture in one of Dean Grinnell's books of when he did that to a .38 Special case.

I have never used a pound the case in sizer, but in Elmer Keith's "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads" he says to use a heavy mallet that will drive the case in with one blow. He was using Lyman dies, but the same principal applies.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    My guns. Fired in either S&W 29 or Ruger Bisley Vaquero. Fairly certain not oversized chambers.

The side shown in the instructions. (non-knurled end, just to be sure, I did crimp one case, definite difference. crimping shoulder also easily seen by looking into the die)

Use a large plastic hammer. It takes many wacks. When you buy lee, trouble comes with it at no extra charge. http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...roduct-support

Boolit Buddy
    I started with Lee,,, I think they are in business so that people will get an RCBS RockChucker within a week,,,,

I can still remember the horror,, then the pleasure,,, smiling is so much more fun!!

Boolit Master
    Straight wall cases are tougher to resize than bottleneck cases. That being said, I have sized thousands of straight walled cases with the Lee "whack-a-mole". For size, weight, and simplicity, it can't be beat.

Boolit Master
    And yes, pine will get chewed up pretty quick. I use a piece of hardwood and a rubber mallet.

Boolit Master
    I suppose you could use an Arbor press instead.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    And yes, pine will get chewed up pretty quick. I use a piece of hardwood and a rubber mallet.
    Cypress two by four under and persimmon or mulberry 'punch' and bigger hammer, will try that next

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    I suppose you could use an Arbor press instead.
    Might as well use the Rockchucker. I guess with all the above needed, not gonna do 'em while watching TV anyway...
    Thank you all for the input

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a hammer poured from lead with a copper face

Boolit Buddy
    Or a dead blow with a copper pipe cap?

Boolit Buddy
    3/4 iron pipe T with bronze disc brazed on and filled with lead shot?

I had the same problem with their 30 carbine set...took three men and a boy to pound it flush. Lube the case, shield it with a piece of hardwood and screw it down in a bench vise.
    Use a plastic mallet to finish it.
    When you realize what your time is worth like I did, get one of these from Titan Reloading:
    http://www.titanreloading.com/image/...88-600x600.jpg
    Last edited by Skipper; 04-17-2016 at 01:10 AM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I've sized lots of .30 carbine brass from various sources in my Lee Loader. Lubed them with lanolin & pounded them in with a 14 ounce ball peen hammer and a piece of 1 by 2" poplar. Not really swinging that hard. Usually 2 to 4 wacks to get them all the way in. Without the lanolin they'd never go. After resizing I check for case length. Usually 10 to 15% have to be trimmed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    I had the same problem with their 30 carbine set...took three men and a boy to pound it flush. Lube the case, shield it with a piece of hardwood and screw it down in a bench vise.
    Use a plastic mallet to finish it.
    When you realize what your time is worth like I did, get one of these from Titan Reloading:
    http://www.titanreloading.com/image/...88-600x600.jpg
    I have a Rockchucker. Just had crazy idea to do some during 'idle time'

Boolit Grand Master
    Use your lube and a two face type hammer (Sears). Rubber head on one side and a plastic head on the other. Like so many other aspects to life, bigger is better. Using a correct tool makes a big difference. I load the Lee Loader in .45-70 and don't experience any trouble.

In a related vain, search this site for an article by one of our lost members on the .45-70 & his Lee Loader. junior1942 was his handle. He did a nice job of story telling and loading tutorials on the subject. Well worth your effort to find it.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, bunch of "answers"(?). I got my 2nd Lee Loader in .44 Magnum, first was a 38 Special in '69. Perhaps being a lifelong machinist/mechanic I could figger things out differently than most. Yep the .44 Magnum loader is more difficult to size than other Lee Loaders but, far from impossible. From the description from the OP, I would guess at other reasons for his problem; pine ballister?, Eight ounce brass hammer? My first use of the .44 reloader I decided to use a section of 4x4, on end, as an anvil. The "log" was soft enough not to damage the loader, but solid enough to not deaden the blow. I used a mallet, plastic, prolly 12 oz., and it did take some whacking. I went to a larger mallet. (A small, light hammer will tap, tap, tap and not give as much "push" as a heavier hammer and have more a tendency to distort the item struck, hence the damage the OP stated). Perhaps polishing the interior of the loader will help, but I have no idea what is difficult for the OP which I'm sure will be different than my "difficult".Today I have an ingot of lead I use for an anvil, 2"x4"x12" that I use instead of a chunk of wood, quieter and works very well.

To discredit every tool because one user finds it difficult for him is just plain wrong (and it feeds the Lee Hater frenzy). I have 5 Lee Loaders along with several years of accumulated reloading tools, presses, and literature and have found no fault with any of my Lee equipment and I think the Lee Loaders are the best thing since smokeless powder...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

44 magnum brass is tough to resize . I started with the lowly 38 special and a plastic mallet , it isn't too hard to "resize" , but those magnum straight wall cases were another story ! It takes some whacking to get them done. Lube well and hit them straight and do not use a brass or steel hammer.
    A much "quieter" , easier to use alternative, is the Lee Hand Press. I can reload with them in the house or my office and not disturb a soul. I bought two hand presses and use them a lot .
    Gary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast