Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gun oil and jammed rem 582 trigger

Boolit Master
    Brightbore solvent will leave your trigger looking like it had bee's wax packed into it.
    One of my brothers got a Bright bore cleaning kit with that solvent and the trigger of every bolt gun wound up like that.
    It just runs down the bore and down the bolt and collects in the trigger mechanisms of 700s and 788s. It would probably do the same on a 582.
    I have never had that happen on any of my rifles and I have a 581 with the same trigger. But I use Hoppe's #9 for a bore solvent.

>>>>FWIW I am thinking a lot of those Remington accidental discharges could be related to that style trigger pack gumming up.<<<
    I agree with this. I have had to degunk several triggers of used Remingtons where the cocking piece was following the bolt closed. They all had old varnish and wax in the mechanism. All worked fine after cleaning up.
    EDG

Rem Oil

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    The best product I have found is Slip-2000. It is synthetic. I oiled a sewing machine and left is set for three years without it being used. No gumming. I bought Slip-2000 from Midway.

Carl

Boolit Master
    i clean my guns with kerosene or mineral spirits then oil with synthtiv motor oil leftover from oil changes (fill the engine there's always 1/2 pint left). Also use silicone oil on some parts (pistol or pump slides), never had a jam.My judge was made in 2011 and I got it in december/15 NIB. First range session guess what cylinder spinned free. Washed with kerosene and oiled, after that cylinder locks nice for every shot. Seems the grease or whatever they put inside turned into a purplish gum and caused the malfunctions.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an old Rem 581 left hand 22 lr. Had the trigger gum up probably 15 years ago. I blasted it with carb cleaner and sprinkled moly in it. Haven't had an issue since and I shoot this gun alot.

I have much better luck using synthetic "gun lubricants" - especially Eez-ox, to prevent gumming and protect metal. Depending on what part of the country you live in be careful when using synthetic motor lubes as they do nothing to prevent rust. I live in Florida and found that out the hard way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    If it has a varnish buildup, it may require actual scraping to remove. I fixed a Model 70 that I was told needed a new trigger. They are about the simplest of triggers so I doubted it did. When I took it apart, it had a layer of yellow/brown varnish built up. Nothing I soaked it in would touch it. I ended up using a razor blade to scrape it off. I asked the owner what he used for oil. WD-40.

For what it is worth, I really like 0-W20 synthetic motor oil. It's as light as gun oil, never seems to dry out, and lubricates very well. Much cheaper than most gun oils too.
    About the best thing for removing WD-40 varnish is WD-40.

Boolit Master
    I used marvel mistery oil years ago, and never had a problem with it gumming up! Now I use Moble 1 0w20 synthetic. A little oil goes a long way!

Boolit Master
    I'm currently using 10w40 which my car requires but sometimes use regular motor oil (mineral), no problems till now.

Boolit Grand Master

Rem Oil is not too bad , it has a light oil base with micro Teflon particles, the light oil will dissipate leaving the Teflon. Supposed to not get gummy , if used sparingly.

Better for the internal lockworks is Liquid Wrench Dry lube. It is micro-Teflon particles suspended in an evaporative solution ( might be alcohol based ) , the Teflon particles leave a dry film that doesn't gum. Good to lube door locks with too !

I've had Break Free CLP, WD40 and Shooters Choice Gun Lube all go gummy on me. I like the Dry lube best .

The oil in both Rem-Oil and Marvel Mystery oil is mineral oil, it doesn't seem to get gummy and will dissipate over time.
    A decent general purpose oil is ATF and Kerosene 50/50....but it does have a smell to it....haven't experienced any gumming with it though.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-09-2016 at 05:01 PM.

the real reason that this happens is that the gun is a safe queen and just keeps getting oiled every so often
    if it was taken out and shot regularly and gotten dirty enough to need cleaning on a regular basis this will not happen
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people