RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lube for Lyman 45, to lube cast wadcutters, for bullseye shooting??

Boolit Buddy

Lube for Lyman 45, to lube cast wadcutters, for bullseye shooting??

Im getting my ducks in a row to start casting up some Lyman 358495 wad cutters to feed my 38 revolver for the CF leg in bulls eye shooting. At this time I really don't want to mess around with brewing my own, and mixing and matching... I have so many variables as it is, I want to start working some of them out first, and just want a pop in lube... Looking around there are SO MANY choices on the market!! Right now Im shooting bullets that my dad casted many decades ago... Some most have a softer lube in them.. Some are a real dark color, what I am guessing is some form of moly, the others are a white color... Does anyone here have any experience shooting the slow, low pressure 38 loads, can give me advice, or a direction to look in to find a lube that would work for me? Im really on the bottom floor of my learning curve here, so any info at all is welcome!! Thanks.
    Last edited by s1120; 04-19-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Get a hold of Randyrat he is a vendor sponsor hear and has really great drop in lube at a great price. you wont be disappointed.

Boolit Master
    Wow that's no fun let's make this a little more complicated , I'll start out with hard or soft lube , do you mind getting your fingers gouie heat or no heat . Hehehe

Banned

for the low and slow I'd go with the soft and slightly sticky.
    they might stick together in the box.
    but lubing 200 boolits then loading them isn't that much of a chore [maybe an hours work after clean-up]

Boolit Buddy
    50/50 Beeswax and Alox for Bullseye.

Le Loup Solitaire
    50/50 Beeswax and Alox (2138-no longer around) used to be called the NRA formula and was used extensively by bullseye shooters back in the day. It was fairly soft, but worked well and was a favorite for 38 special and 45ACP one groove of it was sufficient. Some folks also used Beeswax and vaseline which was even softer but could be a pain in hot weather. Alox was dark in color and had a distinct pungent smell to it even when mixed with the Beeswax. If you don't want to get into mixing your own; there are several good lubes around on the market that you can check out. LLS

Boolit Master

Indoor Bullseye competition I use TAC 1 to keep the smoke down. I'm at 4 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain boolit..No difference than the guys using factory ammo. They have no idea I'm using my own cast. You really should make your own lube at least once, I don't mean that in a bad way, it is a right of passage around here.

low velocity/pressure is one of the easiest to lube for ....eg; not very demanding . i cast the boolits you speak of and tumble lube with 45/45/10 , if using the right alloy sizing isnt even required ( i cast mine fairly soft )

as for what lubes work in a low demanding application .... most of them , it's when pressures,velocities start climbing the scale and barrels start getting longer that lube demands increase
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Indoor Bullseye competition I use TAC 1 to keep the smoke down. I'm at 4 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain boolit..No difference than the guys using factory ammo. They have no idea I'm using my own cast. You really should make your own lube at least once, I don't mean that in a bad way, it is a right of passage around here.
    I do plan to make my own in the future. At this point I have yet to use my Lyman 45, so to start I want to start the learning curve on that, and casting before I start another variable in the proses. Thanks for all the advice!!

Boolit Master
    White Label Lubes has their version of an NRA 50-50 beeswax-alox lube as well as a version with a little carnuba called BAC. Both are soft enough to work in your Lyman 45 and will cover most cast boolit needs.

If you want to try mixing your own get some beeswax from Randy Rat, go to the auto parts store and get either their cheap amber colored Lithium chassis grease or the slightly more expensive Moly EP chassis grease. Mix them up 1-1 beeswax to grease. Mix up about 2 ounces of each to start. If that's too soft make your next batch with 2 ounces of grease and 3or 4 ounces of beeswax. There are a number of threads showing how to make molds if you don't want to just heat it up and pour it into the sizer. Let it come back to room temperature before you size any boolits.

Get some of those little plastic cups they use for catsup at the fast food restaurants. Cut a big chunk of your beeswax and melt it using a double boiler (can in a sauce pan of water works fine) Then fill a bunch of the cups. The beeswax will pop out easily after they have cooled. Now you have 1 ounce pucks of beeswax. If your recipe calls for less than an ounce you can cut the pucks in halves or quarters easily enough.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

RCBS pistol lube works for me

Hard lubes require a heater. Soft may if colder than 70 degrees.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    White Label Lubes has their version of an NRA 50-50 beeswax-alox lube as well as a version with a little carnuba called BAC. Both are soft enough to work in your Lyman 45 and will cover most cast boolit needs.

If you want to try mixing your own get some beeswax from Randy Rat, go to the auto parts store and get either their cheap amber colored Lithium chassis grease or the slightly more expensive Moly EP chassis grease. Mix them up 1-1 beeswax to grease. Mix up about 2 ounces of each to start. If that's too soft make your next batch with 2 ounces of grease and 3or 4 ounces of beeswax. There are a number of threads showing how to make molds if you don't want to just heat it up and pour it into the sizer. Let it come back to room temperature before you size any boolits.

Get some of those little plastic cups they use for catsup at the fast food restaurants. Cut a big chunk of your beeswax and melt it using a double boiler (can in a sauce pan of water works fine) Then fill a bunch of the cups. The beeswax will pop out easily after they have cooled. Now you have 1 ounce pucks of beeswax. If your recipe calls for less than an ounce you can cut the pucks in halves or quarters easily enough.
    That's a good tip! BAC also offers up a Lube Recipe called 2500 that I use for both pistol and rifle bullets in my Lyman 45. Its rated for up to 2500fps which works well with gas-checks to allow me to run my bullits to the same velocity as military ammo out of my TT-33 in 7.62x25. It also works well in my 4" Taurus 357 Magnum revolver for deer loads.
    http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...&products_id=4

I also use the lube for all my rifle loads now from my 223 Rem (I keep the 69gr bullets under 2500fps) all the way up to my 358 winchester boolits. The only boolit I don't use it with is my 50-70 Govt Trapdoor because I use blackpowder and pyrodex when I reload for it.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post

Thanks... I am a car guy also, and already have moly lube. Also I seem to remember the wife looking for beeswax for something she was doing, so might have that also...

Boolit Master
    Bens red recipe is about as easy as any recipe I have found.
    That 358429 is plenty of bullet for bullseye. Have you considered a wad cutter? Recoil is not your friend in that game. I was gifted a bunch of 135-140 grain double ended wad cutters that work great.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry typo..... its a 358495, not a 429... the 495 is a full wadcutter. My bad!!!