RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which pellet rifle for small game?

I have decided on a rifle. I am getting a RWS 34 in 177. The reason for the 177 is 3 fold.
    1--Most of the good grade of pellets available around here are for 177 rifles. I have several stores with a large variety of pellet brands and styles available. Not so much for 22.
    2--This particular rifle is a slightly older stock apparently even though it is new. The cost is significantly lower than current prices($220 as opposed to $290) and it comes with a scope.
    3--The vast majority of my shooting will be paper or plinking. Shooting for game will be very seldom if ever.
    Actually there is a fourth reason. There were no quality 22 caliber air rifles to be found in my area. I realize there are sources available online. Most of those will not consider shipment to Illinois or will only do so with a lot of hassle(ffl dealer involvement and therefore extra cost).
    After I get used to what this rifle can do, I may consider another rifle in a larger caliber. Until then, I think this one should do quite nicely.
    Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations. They have helped me make up my mind as to what to buy.
    tazman

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent choice at a superb price. 40 yard pest control (headshots only) and target shooting should be very possible (just hold it gently and let it recoil naturally).

Although us .22 shooters refer to .177 as the ladies calibre, it is half the price of .22s and better for plinking.

Now you need some decent pellets to match the quality of your rifle. JSBs are very popular over here.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice choice I think you will not be disappointed. Let the pellet trails begin. Can I recommend you try H&N Baracuda match as well as the FTT's my gun likes the 4.5mm head diameter. JSB Exacts so far are the best food for my Diana.

Boolit Master
    Well if you're a tinker and like the rifle probably you can get a new/used .22 barrel for it at a good price. I only didn't get one for my lowly 177 because the guys asked a complete rifle price for it. But if I can get one at a good price I'd have another option in that small accurate gun. I also chose this small rifle in 177 because of availability of pellets, cost of same and discovered an exceptional low cost accurate plinking /small pest gun. Then I got a big heavy .22 for bigger varmint and occasional "hunting". Good choice. I've handled some 34 clones and they look and shoot great. The original article should be even better. Congratulations

Boolit Master

Excellent choice tazman. Don't be disappointed at first as it can take 500 or so shots for the gun to settle in. Pellet guns are ammo sensitive. You may need to try several before you find the right one or two that shoot really well. Enjoy the new toy.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah... This gun should diesel some while breaking in. Never put any oil in the compression chamber save for silicone oil (two drops) or it will damage the piston ring/seal very fast. Also keep very heavy pellets out of her for same reason. If I remember right in a .177 maximum weight should be about 11gr or you put a lot of strain on the piston seal. For a .22 should be around 22gr. Someone can verify this?

I tried it out after I got it home. I purchased 5 different styles of pellets in 2 different brands. 2 were Crosman premiers the others were RWS. I probably put 75 pellets through it tonight.
    I started by pulling a dry patch through the barrel with a piece of fishing line. This got rid of the oil and dust in the barrel(the store had the rifle locked in a display rack). I wiped the excess oil around the chamber and seal area. The rest of it looked clean and dry. I never noticed any dieseling when I shot it. It didn't make any funny noises or smoke at all.
    I started out with 20 of the RWS basic series plinkers. For about 10 shots they were all over(4 inches at 50 feet), then they tightened up considerably. By the time I was done testing the various pellets, I was getting nickel sized 10 shot groups at 50 feet. Not a bad beginning.
    The best single group was shot with the RWS hobby wadcutters. First five shots went into a group smaller than a dime.
    The trigger on this rifle is excellent. A little slack and then a clean break, the way a trigger should be. I was letting the rifle just sit on the palm of my hand. I would pull it into my shoulder then release all pressure against the butt so it just sat there.
    I am getting good groups with 3 of the different pellets. It will be interesting to see if the groups continue to tighten up.
    I need to get a better rest setup. I just threw something together and it didn't allow me to hold very steady. When I get that worked out, I expect the groups will tighten further.

Good choice tazman. I really enjoy my RWS 34 Dianna also. I'm used to firing my centerfire rifles "Free recoil" so the artillery hold as they call it comes easily for me and is very effective with springers. Enjoy this one, you will most likely be adding a few more shortly. Gp

Boolit Master
    Don't worry with groups for now. Just check which pellets produced the smaller ones. They'll shrink with time. When I got mine they shot like a pattern for the first 100 or 200shots they became decent... Part of the break in...

Boolit Master

Sounds like a great start. One other thing. If your group goes all to pot for no reason, tighten your stock screws, two at the break point and one in the trigger guard.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

I killed several squirrels and rabbits with a .177 gamo big cat. It really comes down to shot placement with a pellet gun. If I were to get a new knew one I would probably give a .22 cal a shot. I just use real guns now, way less frustrating. Always had problems with accuracy and keeping it zeroed.

I got another type of pellet today and tried it out. I think I found the one my rifle likes. Crosman super match. My rifle put ten of then into a group smaller than a dime.
    I think I may have a winner.

Boolit Master

Crosman makes good pellets. It is all about pellet placement as far as killing critters goes. I don't feel undergunned with my .177 nitro venom at all.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123