RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: looking for Source for 10-36 set screw for older lyman 4 cavity

Boolit Master

looking for Source for 10-36 set screw for older lyman 4 cavity

Lyman currently (sensibly) uses 10-32 set screws for the sprue plate bolt on their 4 cavity molds. But I have a couple older molds with 10-36 threads. Does anyone know where I can get 10-36 set screws these days? I called Lyman and they don't have them. A Lowes and a local hardware as well as a google search also turned up nothing.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
    where I can get 10-36 set screws these days?
    I checked my favorite online hardware store, and found zilch, but...

The screws used for mounting tang sights on Sharps rifles are 10-36. They aren't 'set screws' but could be cut off and 'slotted' for a standard screwdriver.

Best I can do...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

These folks are listing a threading die:

http://www.msdiscount.com/columnar.a...ssioncookieset

Jack

Boolit Master
    how about retapping to 10-32, or an insert-helicoil?

Tap it 12-28 (#14 drill) or 12-24 (#16 drill)
    Morgan

Boolit Master

Allen screws are usually fine threads. They are grade 8. I saw some at Ace Hardware. If the head does not create issues, use one of those.

Super Moderator

...............A 10-36 is a NF-Special. Here ya go:

Head Cap Screws - Socket Products Type: Socket Head Cap Screws Thread Size: 8-36 Length Under Head: 1-1/2 Material: Alloy Steel - ASTM A574 Finish/Coating: Black Oxide
    MSC # 76819762 | Big Book Page 1842
    Price: $5.09 ea

At: www.mscdirect.com

or:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...IT4NO=42708438

Call them up and when you order specify they ship USPS ist class or some such so you're not paying $8-10 for a couple screws!

My QC box does 36 tpi, but I sure wouldn't want to mess around single pointing on a piece of #10 blank

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............A 10-36 is a NF-Special. Here ya go:

Head Cap Screws - Socket Products Type: Socket Head Cap Screws Thread Size: 8-36 Length Under Head: 1-1/2 Material: Alloy Steel - ASTM A574 Finish/Coating: Black Oxide
    MSC # 76819762 | Big Book Page 1842
    Price: $5.09 ea

At: www.mscdirect.com

or:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...IT4NO=42708438

Call them up and when you order specify they ship USPS ist class or some such so you're not paying $8-10 for a couple screws!

My QC box does 36 tpi, but I sure wouldn't want to mess around single pointing on a piece of #10 blank

..............Buckshot
    Buckshot, the same item came up when I searched their on-line catalog. Look again, it's an 8-36 screw, not 10-36. I checked page 1842 of my Big Book, and it isn't listed, that page has stripper bolts and shoulder screws. Then noticed it's the 2006/2007 catalog, they haven't sent me a new one yet.
    Morgan

Boolit Master

Thanks for the ideas. You all are some sharp cookies!

Boolit Buddy

Resurrecting old thread, because I just ran into this problem myself. I bought a Lyman DC 31141 with the sprue plate gone, screw broken off, price was right. Sent off to Lyman for the rebuild kit, which came with a 10-32 sprue plate screw, but the mold wanted 10-36.

All good advice above -- and I know about replacement 10-36 screws being available -- but I decided to just re-tap the mold 10-32. Key to making this work was a fluteless 10-32 tap, which swages threads instead of cutting. These are pretty common, but here's a pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_19801103_175136.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	264546
    It also helps a lot that there are only about 4-5 threads of 10-36 in either of the two places they're used on that mold (sprue plate screw, and set screw). The swaging tap is going to push the existing threads back & forth, but 4-5 threads (and 36 vs. 32/inch) is a short enough run that the very last thread would only have to move about 1 thread pitch, and because I just free floated it by hand (with a bit of moly grease), I figure the threads at either end moved maybe 1/2 a pitch, and the ones in the middle less than that.

Job done, the new threads look good, feel smooth & snug, everything went together correctly, and now I've got a working 31141.