MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peep sight for Mauser 98 action

Yes. Any receiver sight made for a '98 Mauser should work on your M24/47.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Yes. Any receiver sight made for a '98 Mauser should work on your M24/47.
    Most of the turn of the century designed military bolt rifles based on the original Mauser design should take the same aperture sight fitted to the right side of the rifle's receiver's ring. Mausers, US 1917s, Springfields and I believe the Arisaka series will all take the Lmyan 48 and 57 as well as the Redfield series for military rifles when drilled at tapped for them.

Here is a WWI Mauser (sporterized) with a Redfield sight which will easily fit the M24/47.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

There are Lyman #48 and #57 Receiver Sights on Ebay all the time going for anywhere from $60-150 for most of the decent ones. And as much as $350 for select #48's for Springfields.

I have a few of these mounted to different guns and they are without a doubt the best Sporting Rifle Iron sights ever made and it's a shame they aren't making them now because there is a market for them.(Just look at Ebay!) Lyman simply took their existing designs and made the Base and Overarm out of Aluminum which effectively made the sights easier to machine but less valuable. People who know don't want an Aluminum version of a great sight because they won't wear as long, and the Anodized Finish doesn't match their guns finish. Also they don't seem to Repeat as well as the steel ones when you move them and then go back, which is the main reason to have one in the first place.

I lobbied Lyman heavily at the SHOT Show to bring back the old materials and just charge a few $ more, because the difference in machining time on the two affected parts would be about 5% more for 12L14 steel as opposed to the Aluminum used now.

All the rest of the parts are the same as they were before. Primary sights affected would be the Series 66 Levergun Sights, and the 57 Series Bolt Action Sights. They dropped the #48 Series along time ago so you'd still have to buy those used and expect to pay $150+ for a bad one and $200+ for a decent one, and more for a rare one or NIB one. Saw a NIB First Gen #48 go for $575 once!

Redfield Sights which were competitors of Lyman were also excellent. The Series 70 models tend to be best suited to a set and leave alone type of usage on a Hunting Rifle. The Series 80 sights are similar to the Lyman sights with a quick release slide mechinism, which does repeat well when moved and is well suited to guns where the elevation offsets are changed frequently for different ranges. I have several of those as well. The Redfield Target sights do repeat exactly and are excellent sights, and not too expensive, with Olympic and International models generally priced starting around $100. A decent Palma will still cost you $250+.

All of these sights were State of the Art Sighting systems for Sporting Rifles up to around 1960, and then Optical Sights became affordable enough for the common man to own. There is absolutely no reason why a guy can't learn how to shoot Aperture type sights nearly as well as optics at normal hunting ranges for 50-200 yards.

I have several guns I shoot for the Silhouette Games including my Enfield #4 Mk1, Marlin 1894 CB and 1895 CB along with a Springfield that is trying to be an NRA Sporter some day and an 1896 Swede. All these guns have either Lyman or Redfield Aperture sights on them.

I just shot a 1 3/4" group with my Marlin 1895 .45-70 last week at 100 yards with a Lyman 66LA on the gun. If I can do it so can you!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

That is very nicely done! I would love to find one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Look for a Lyman #1

It's mounted in a dovetailed regular firing-pin nut, the firing-pin itself shortened to clear.

It doesn't have much in the way of a windage adjustment; and elevation adjustment is controlled by the "nut" on the stem.

Since only friction keeps the adjustment from moving, some users block the stem from moving, with a tiny set screw ( after sighting in).

Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Looks like a very nice rifle, Pietro. Does that use the same charger clip as the straight pull Mannlicher?

Petrol & Powder you should google Gary Fellers for classic receiver sights of all kinds. His phone number is 817 346 9633. I loved my old bubba Krag with a Redfield on it. Williams also had a 5D JEMS( JapEnfield,Mauser,Springfield) economy sight.

Boolit Master
    If the Williams sight will work for you then you may want to check out Gun Parts Corp. They have the Williams Foolproof (a little nicer than the 5D) for $17. It is listed as fitting FN and Mark X Mausers but should work on a '98, especially if your is not yet drilled/tapped. I just picked up a few for future projects!

Boolit Master
    I have Lyman 57's and Redfield #70 on my Mausers in fact just pulled this one off an Argie cos I needed to fit a Weaver k2.5.

Micrometer knobs are awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1015.jpg   100_1025.jpg  
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    If the Williams sight will work for you then you may want to check out Gun Parts Corp. They have the Williams Foolproof (a little nicer than the 5D) for $17. It is listed as fitting FN and Mark X Mausers but should work on a '98, especially if your is not yet drilled/tapped. I just picked up a few for future projects!
    Yikes! I gotta jump on that. Thanks, Rusty!

There is a way of fitting a Central No.4 sight on the 98 action. If anyone has done so, please show how....I'm keen to fit one on my M98.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxJon View Post
    There is a way of fitting a Central No.4 sight on the 98 action. If anyone has done so, please show how....I'm keen to fit one on my M98.
    An invisible photo, but you need a mounting plate from Central.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-15-2020 at 10:58 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12