WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peep sight for Mauser 98 action

Banned

Peep sight for Mauser 98 action

I'm contemplating a receiver sight for a Mauser 98 action (Brazilian 1908 DWM). Any thoughts on an old Redfield or Lyman sight?

A thought would be that you might snag one of the old timers off of e-bay. I bought many for Krags until the prices got so outrageous, but I never observed the same competition for Mauser sights. The currently made Williams sights aren't bad either.

Banned
    Any advantage or disadvantage to an older steel Redfield or a newer aluminum Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Any advantage or disadvantage to an older steel Redfield or a newer aluminum Williams?
    I don't suppose there is really any advantage to using an old steel sight vs. a new aluminum one. However, I don't do it. Why? Because I don't eat peas with my knife either. Something just are not done in a good family.

Here is an old Redfield on a Mauser Sporter of mine.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I have a Lyman on my M48 and I have to be careful not to bang my knuckles when I work the bolt. Just a heads up. My M48 has a wide arch bold handle.

Boolit Master

Aperture Sights for Mausers

Lyman made several versions of their Model 57 SML or Model 48 for military rifles mounting sights on the right side of the receiver bridge. They are great sights and it's well worth perusing the web sights for one. I have them in long and short slide versions and with hunting as well as target knobs.

Here is one on a Springfield, but the same sight also fits a Mauser's receiver.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

That's a nice looking sight, Scharf. Well--advantages, disadvantages--I don't know. I guess steel is always considered more durable than aluminum. I like the way Scharf's sight looks...one acquaintance of mine describes such things as, "nutsy-boltsy". Very visible, positive, do it with your fingers controls. Lots of the newer ones require a little screwdriver of some sort. But--they look more streamlined. I guess it's just a matter of utility balanced with your taste. I do recall a few years ago I had just mounted a very nice Redfield no-gunsmithing sight on a Krag project as it's finishing touch. Leaned it up against something in the shop to get my camera out for a photo of the completed project and it fell over onto the concrete floor. Landed right on the steel sight and smashed the arm downward against the receiver. I felt physically sick. I just picked it up and sat it in the rack and left it for about a week before I could look at it again. I was able to bend the arm back to almost where it had been originally, and you might not notice it, but of course I always will!

Boolit Grand Master
    In my experience, a blued steel sight looks better than a blackened aluminum sight. Probably tougher too.

Functionally? Probably no difference.

Robert

Boolit Master

Parker Hale made a sweet micrometer rear apature sight for M98 too.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Banned
    Char-Gar, you shamed me into the steel sight camp.

Now I need to find one.

Boolit Master
    Given a choice I would go with steel, something about aluminum just doesn't look right to me on a classic rifle like a Springfield or Mauser.

Boolit Master
    I would like to find an aperture sight that attaches to the rear of the bolt. Not common and not the most accurate sight but it should be appropriate for hunting.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I don't suppose there is really any advantage to using an old steel sight vs. a new aluminum one. However, I don't do it. Why? Because I don't eat peas with my knife either. Something just are not done in a good family.

I eat peas with honey,
    I've done it all my life.
    It does taste kind of funny,
    But, it keeps them on my knife.

Thank you Char-Gar for allowing me to recall that childhood "poem"!

I guess that means you could use aluminum.

Kevin

Boolit Master

While I wouldn't go drilling holes in an unaltered Mauser, if it's already on the road to Sporterville, they're great sights. I've run both Lymans and Redfields on a host of old guns and know them as solid and repeatable.

As to aluminum. . .consider the era: steel guns and aluminum airplanes. It'll work, but it just doesn't belong, ya know? Functional, but tacky. I would probably also hesitate to use an aluminum base on a gun that's going to be adjusted from one yardage to another a lot, i.e. a competition rifle. Fine for a zero-and-leave-it-alone approach though.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I would like to find an aperture sight that attaches to the rear of the bolt. Not common and not the most accurate sight but it should be appropriate for hunting.

Kevin

Look for a Lyman #1

It's mounted in a dovetailed regular firing-pin nut, the firing-pin itself shortened to clear.

It doesn't have much in the way of a windage adjustment; and elevation adjustment is controlled by the "nut" on the stem.

Since only friction keeps the adjustment from moving, some users block the stem from moving, with a tiny set screw ( after sighting in).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Look for a Lyman #1

It's mounted in a dovetailed regular firing-pin nut, the firing-pin itself shortened to clear.

It doesn't have much in the way of a windage adjustment; and elevation adjustment is controlled by the "nut" on the stem.

Since only friction keeps the adjustment from moving, some users block the stem from moving, with a tiny set screw ( after sighting in).
    Thank you. I had seen them in magazines (old ones from the 40s and 50s) but none were identified.

Kevin

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The Williams Fool Proof Sights are tough enough, just don't have that 'look' to them, I you do scratch them (very difficult to do) they are not readily repairable, but except for classic milsurp rifles they are good enough in my mind.

They aren't as readily adjustable, but scheeoooooooooooot, how often do we adjust sights, apart from long range shooting competition.

I've had several Williams sights on several rifles, one Mauser 98 and lots of levers, they looked as good when I sold them as they did when I bought them.

The steel is preferable for looks and bragging rights, but in reality, the Al sights are well up to the job.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post

Bought a `sportered` Mauser with this same Redfield peep set up about 15 years or so back. I eventually removed the peep and sold it to a buyer that was eager to get it. A new William`s `Foolproof` (as they were called once) is a good choice for going on the Mauser.Robert

Banned
    I found an old Lyman 57, hopefully it will do the job.

Will the same models fit my M24/47? Thanks, Flyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast