RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Framing Nailer O Ring Rebuild. What O Ring Grease?

Boolit Grand Master

Framing Nailer O Ring Rebuild. What O Ring Grease?

I was talking to a co-worker of mine about buying a framing gun and turns out he used to own a contracting business until he got sick of riding herd on his crews and hung it up. He said he still had half a dozen nailers in his garage among other stuff and sold me a bostich stick 95rbh for $50. All it needs is an o ring rebuild cause it sat so long. My question on the o rings is do i need to use the o ring grease or can i use marvel mystery or other non detergent oil like the air gun oil i bought on them when replacing
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    petroleum jelly

Banned
    Silicone grease works better you can get a tube at any pool supply place a little goes a long way.

Boolit Master

Silicon or food grade. Petroleum based greases eat some rubber.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Plus one on the silicone grease!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I use Parker O ring lube.

Boolit Master

you might try the air tool oil and see if the gun works ok before you do a rebuild, those guns were built to take some punishment and the oil might be all it needs. I have some from my contracting days that are 20+ years old and they still work fine with a shot of oil.

Boolit Grand Master

If you do the rebuild get a kit with all parts needed. On the orings petrolium jelly silicone grease ( in a bind I have used crisco) make sure what you use is compatable with the oil your using though.I perfer the grease as a light coat helps the oring compress and slide in place easier and not cut or shear a surface of it away. The 2-3 drops of air tool oil will keep them lubed along time. but you need something for assembly and the dry start up until oil works thru the system.

Boolit Master

O-ring kit I bought (Bostitch) had a little ampule of grease included.

Banned

sparky's answer would be the better long term solution.
    if the o-ring is dried out or damaged and needs to be replaced anyway I'd go with the factory parts option.
    otherwise I'd go with the silicone grease and a shot of air tool oil the gun probably got a shot of it about maybe once a month or whenever the new guy happened to see a bottle of it.

Boolit Grand Master

I plugged it in and got air out of the trigger so ordered a valve. I didnt hear any from the top but figured id probably need to replace them. Ill pull them out and soak them in air tool oil and if i need to replace them get some silicone grease. I do have some full synthetic grease. That might work
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

anything mineral oil based will swell out and soften the rubber.
    many synthetic's are nothing more than modified regular oils, they break the molecules down into smaller particles.

Parker o lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    My go to grease is now "Super Lube"
    I think it's 100% synthetic.

Of note sometimes a stuck driver can cause it blowing air, I'd oil it good 10-20 drops ) and plug/unplug it several times - both without the trigger depressed,with the trigger pressed and again with the trigger and safety depressed ( safety rules as with every gun applies eg; unloaded and pointing in a safe direction etc etc ,) it just may kick it into action so to speak
    Of the big old heavy ones my fav was the senco sn70, that beast could drive hardened nails into concrete ( but geez what a lunk )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned
    Might be a petroleum based lube, not silicone which would cause it to degrade and blow up. Of course you should only use silicone air tool oil in it as well

Boolit Master
    I used to work with a maintence crew replacing mechanical seals of fuel oil pumps. Vyton was the o ring of choice as it was largely unaffected by the petroleum oil we pumped. Some of that oil was actually used as a lubericant for the seals. Any other silicone or rubber ring had a very short life span when used with any petroleum oils,and lubricants. The o rings would swell up or rapidly disintergrate as a result. Frank

Boolit Master
    I did a lot of work with hydraulics in the paper industry before I retired and buna-N was the material of choice for 90%+ of what we did and Viton was required by one of our customers.
    http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/ha...aterial-makeup

Boolit Master

I have run a Haubold 525 air stapler on various projects for almost 30 years. I use a couple of drops of oil in the system every couple of hours. It was rebuilt in 1981.
    3 drops of Singer Sewing machine oil in the air line nipple and 4 or 5 staples fired will leave the gun in great condition. You can let it sit for a couple of years, use 2-3 drops of light oil on startup and it will function reliably
    One caution, never fire without a nail - some models you can damage the piston or sticker.
    I have put over 300,000 staples through my 525 installing aluminum soffit in the 1970s and 1980s.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...