Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hogue over moulded rifle stocks?

Hogue over moulded rifle stocks?

Does anybody have any experience with these rifle stocks?
    I ran a quick search here, but didn't come up with anything.

The way i understand it they are stiff fiberglass with a layer of rubber moulded over that.
    That kind of begs a question from me in that do they slide properly in recoil over the bags from a bench rest, or does the finish on them tend to "grab" on the bags?

Also interested in how they hold up over time from hunting, heat, cold, etc. from anyone with experience with them.

I have a Zastava mod. 70 in .308 (commercial type mauser 98) and have quickly found a problem in finding an after market stock for it...very limited choices so far.

I gave them a call today, but seems the guy i need to talk to was out shooting a competition shoot today....may be monday before i hear from them.

They do list a stock that says it fits all 98 mausers including commercial type. Supposed to be a 100% drop in and pillar bedded. I'm not to sure what to think about the over moulded rubber since i've never actually seen or handled one up close.
    Hard, slick neoprene style?...i don't know.

Boolit Master
    I have the full aluminum bed on my 7 mag and the pillar bed only on a 223 the full bed is very stiff. The pillar bedded has a little flex to it. The finish will def grip bags it's almost sticky. It's a nice hunting stock and reduces recoil a ton but probly not the best bench rest stock.

Boolit Buddy

I have had a few on various Remington 700s. They are decent and I did not really notice any accuracy changes with them. I will say Mica H has it right, the bedding block stock are much more stiff than the pillared stocks. When you put the stock on the rifle it may require some trimming (razor blade works fine) in the barrel channel so that barrel is actually floated. One of mine was "overmolded" and the rubber stuck into the barrel channel too much for my heavier barrel, the channel may not be perfectly straight either, but trimming the channel fixes it with little or no external change to the cosmetics.

I would probably still be using it but switched my .308 to a Chassis system for maximum accuracy potential and magazine fed. I put my 300 Blackout into to a Boyds wood stock (that I plan to bed and pillar) because my safe was starting to get ugly and over run by boring plastic.

Thanks for the info. I called again this morning and it seems the guy i need to talk to is now out till next wed.

I just need to make sure my zastava commercial type mauser will
    work with this stock.
    I did see on their web that it works with a fn mark 10 bbl.action and i "think" the zastava is the same as the mark 10. I think you just have to cut off a small piece on the stock for the side mounted slide safety.

I did measure the distance between the action screws which is 7 and 13/16" center to center best i could tell, which is what the hogue screw holes are.

Problem is boyd's makes a stock for the zastava mod 70(95% inletted) based on the rem. 798, but the screw holes on it are 7 and 7/8" center to center.
    This is what's kind of confusing to me and why i want to talk to them before ordering a hogue stock.

Boolit Man

I put one on my Mini-14. What a difference in the feel! I loved it. It fit on with no modification at all. Would recommend.

Boolit Buddy
    I have them on a couple of hunting rifles built on military 98's...
    None has the full length bedding block (not even sure if those are available for a Mauser)
    their not bad for inexpensive hunting rifle stocks, but bench stocks they are not.
    I much prefer the ones I have in wood or bell & carlson stocks for bench shooting.

I havent had any issues with them and they seem to hold up well.
    I dont believe their core is fiberglass though, looks like just plastic to me. About the same as a ramline plastic stock.
    Last edited by yovinny; 04-15-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    I have them on a couple of hunting rifles built on military 98's...
    None has the full length bedding block (not even sure if those are available for a Mauser)
    their not bad for inexpensive hunting rifle stocks, but bench stocks they are not.

I much prefer the ones I have in wood or bell & carlson stocks for bench shooting.
    I have several - only one to disappoint was putting my Remington 700V in it and a bipod up front - got way worse groups than a Remington factory plastic stock(which had to have material added to work with a bipod) - So think what you plan to use the gun for.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Artful, good to know about the bipod...thanks. I do have an old harris held over from my varmint hunting days. Oh well, i rarely have ever used it since i guess the 70's anyway.

yovinny it does look like they're showing the full length bedding block option for the mauser. For a much higher cost of course.
    I once had a Browning bolt action in 7mm mag bedded with an aluminum block like that through the action and bbl. channel with a wood stock. It was one of the most accurate rifles i've ever owned and would hold it's zero year round.

Ok after chasing info about the Zastava mod. 70 from various stockmaker companys for over a week now, i called ramline stocks today.
    This was the first tech. i've talked to that could actually tell me for sure that the zastava was a drop in fit for their mauser stocks.

They had 2 left in stock and i wound up with the basic ramline mauser stock.

I have the Magnum Research 22 mag with the stock you mention. It fairly sticky compared to wood or a plastic AR15 stock. Since the 22 mag hardly recoils at all I can't comment if I slides properly over a bag or not. It will not slide around in your hands like a wood or plastic stock will if not gripped tightly. I like mine very much.