Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: New 8mm Checks for Lee Kar & Max molds

In Remembrance

New 8mm Checks for Lee Kar & Max molds

Sages Outdoors has 8mm checks that fit the oversize Lee bullet mold with shanks of .308. Made with .012 litho they slip on
    and crimp at .325 diameter. Stop pounding those smaller checks on and distorting your bullets.

http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/8mm-323...maximum-molds/
    Last edited by Sagebrush7; 06-01-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Corrected the link, new website

Boolit Grand Master
    Buy with confidence from Sages Outdoors.
    I have and will continue.

Ben

Boolit Master

Cool.

I have been sitting a big ball bearing and hitting each one with a hammer. It sure slows things down.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

In Remembrance
    Thanks Ben
    Shamus and James bend over backwards to provide products to all shooters that need a special product. We continually test our products for fit and finish. We work with new cast bullet shooters who are just beginning the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Buy with confidence from Sages Outdoors.
    I have and will continue.

Ben

The old Group Buy 175 grain semi-spitzer 8mm gives me even worse trouble seating checks than the 8mm Maximum and Karabiner. Doggone it, I still have most of a 5000 bag of Gator checks. The ball method is a miserable way of expanding gas checks. I need to come up with some sort of expanding punch. By the way, if you want to use gas checked bullets at their full unsized diameter and don''t want to spring for a custom sizing die, here's a tip: Use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. You can easily see the narrow lip that does the crimping in the top. Seat the check and with your fingers hold the boolit in the top of the die with the check right in that lip, actuate the crimper with the press and you have your check crimped on. Adjust the die to the desired check diameter. The same trick works if you want to crimp a case with the same neck diameter but the wrong length for a FCD that you have.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master

This thread and the arrival of my new Mag 25 inspired me to grab my Midsouth/Lee 8mm Max mold and another mold and cast some boolits last evening. The Max base measures .300-.301" with WW+2% and the Hornady .32 gas checks fit on it just perfectly, snap on by hand, hard to pry off with fingernails, but possible.

This is NOT the case with at least 2 of my 3 8mm Karabiners, which I've been using the unhappy method of GC spreading with the 1" ball bearing.

In Remembrance
    What we have found that many of Lee 8mm molds are to large at the shank and as much as .010 out of round. Charlie D. with serious pleading modified one of our 8mm FCIII dies to make the new .308 check die. Our customers are happy!

Boolit Master

Jeeze! Now I find out! I turned my old 8mm mold into a plain base just a couple of weeks ago!

In Remembrance
    Great! Try our .323/8mm plain base checks. We sell a lot of those! James

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Jeeze! Now I find out! I turned my old 8mm mold into a plain base just a couple of weeks ago!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info. I bookmarked the site. Can't get them right now. How too many big expenses to get caught up on, but I'll have that out of the way soon. Looking forward to getting some to test.

In Remembrance
    I bumbed this forward for those that are still fighting those oversize Lee 8mm molds
    James

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought 500 to try out ... sure would be awful hard to not be an improvement .

Boolit Buddy

gas check disapointment

i'd like to start by saying i am in no way bashing mr sage in this post . i do believe he is a stand up guy and mistakes happen , i am only posting this here because i have not gotten a response threw the automated system on the web site and there is no way to send a picture with it .

so with that being said , last weekend i ordered 500 of the aluminum checks to try out and to my surprise they showed up in Mondays mail .. so kudo's on the super fast shipping .

but alas my joy abruptly ended later in the afternoon when i sat down at the loading bench and tore open the envelope . now i know the picture isnt very good but you should be able to see what i found .

nearly all of the checks exhibit some degree of tear out on the side of the check .. some are very minor and some are bad enough to be unusable .
    maybe i am expecting to much from aluminum checks ... but i have never had this issue with copper checks everyone i have used to date has been pretty near perfectly formed .

i eagerly await your response and thoughts here mr sage .. thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160711_212454.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	172219

In Remembrance
    Those are not 8mm KAR checks. They are made from .012 Litho plate. A bag of gas checks may have a few dented like that, some slip though occasionally. That's why we put extra checks in. You always get more than whats on the bag. Send me a private PM and I will refund your money.

Quote Originally Posted by fg-machine View Post
    i'd like to start by saying i am in no way bashing mr sage in this post . i do believe he is a stand up guy and mistakes happen , i am only posting this here because i have not gotten a response threw the automated system on the web site and there is no way to send a picture with it .

so with that being said , last weekend i ordered 500 of the aluminum checks to try out and to my surprise they showed up in Mondays mail .. so kudo's on the super fast shipping .

but alas my joy abruptly ended later in the afternoon when i sat down at the loading bench and tore open the envelope . now i know the picture isnt very good but you should be able to see what i found .

nearly all of the checks exhibit some degree of tear out on the side of the check .. some are very minor and some are bad enough to be unusable .
    maybe i am expecting to much from aluminum checks ... but i have never had this issue with copper checks everyone i have used to date has been pretty near perfectly formed .

i eagerly await your response and thoughts here mr sage .. thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160711_212454.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	172219
    Last edited by Sagebrush7; 07-13-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    just like i thought .. a stand up guy . pm sent with an alternative solution .

many thanks , stephen

In Remembrance
    Done!

Quote Originally Posted by fg-machine View Post
    just like i thought .. A stand up guy . Pm sent with an alternative solution .

Many thanks , stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    The old Group Buy 175 grain semi-spitzer 8mm gives me even worse trouble seating checks than the 8mm Maximum and Karabiner. Doggone it, I still have most of a 5000 bag of Gator checks. The ball method is a miserable way of expanding gas checks. I need to come up with some sort of expanding punch. By the way, if you want to use gas checked bullets at their full unsized diameter and don''t want to spring for a custom sizing die, here's a tip: Use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. You can easily see the narrow lip that does the crimping in the top. Seat the check and with your fingers hold the boolit in the top of the die with the check right in that lip, actuate the crimper with the press and you have your check crimped on. Adjust the die to the desired check diameter. The same trick works if you want to crimp a case with the same neck diameter but the wrong length for a FCD that you have.
    I am just wondering if an exact machined conical Punch would solve your problem of slightly enlarging. If you dont have a Lathe you could take a 3/8" Bolt cut the head off then chuck the 3/8" Bolt into an electric Drill and grind it carefully down to proper size on a electrical Grinder or in a pinch on a File.