RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canned Chili In search of the holy grail.

Moderator Emeritus

+Another Wolf (goes with my profile ) Costco sells em.

Attachment 1660552nd vote for Nalley Jalapeno Hot. Can says, "Not for the timid". Have never tried Wolf Brand--will look for it.

Banned

they way I learned to judge canned chili is to eat it right from the can.
    cold.
    if it burps up the same as it went down the can needs a liner and I move along to the next one.
    the can taste is because the chili has low PH tomato sauce in it.
    I'm not a fan of Jalapeno's I just don't like their flavor all that much.
    but the Hormel extra hot shown above isn't too bad if you put some ghost pepper hot sauce and some onions in it.

Great by itself or dressed up with other ingredients.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    The Stagg brand labeled "Dynamite Hot--ignited by Habanero peppers" seems a click and half hotter than Nalleys Jalapeno Hot to my mouth...First tasted the Wolf Brands on our first trip to SWMBO High School reunion in Kerrville,Tx. Did without until WalMart moved into our area,now they no longer stock it here,at least in the only close location.. The local food liquidator has been trying for months to move the 6 Lbs plus cans of Wolf Straight Chili @ $7.99 ea, when they get the Stagg brand of the straight stuff they will sell out of 36 cans in 2-3 weeks...Of course,those will all be closedated mdse.. I'm thinking it's a regional thing... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Grand Master
    Will have to check the grocery store, but I don't think Wolf or Stagg brands are carried around here. That "habanero hot" stuff sounds tasty

When the wife"s gallbladder gave out years a go the Dr. asked her what the last thing she ate was,she told him it was a can of chili. He said caned chili can find more bad gallbladder's than any thing else. Now she won't eat it any more even though she had it taken out. For me it is just some thing to take camping now.

Moderator Emeritus

Kind of like the difference between canned peas and fresh or canned tomatoes and garden fresh. I only eat it when there is nothing else.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    If its gonna be from a can, its gotta be Wolf Brand Chili..........with its roots in 1895 Corsicana, Texas............

Attachment 166031
    I agree 100%. Wolf Brand Chili is a Texas staple. Wolf now makes several varieties to suits a variety of tastes. I will admit to stocking the original Wolf Brand Chili in my pantry. My favorite use is to pour some of it over a plate of tamales. That is how they used to serve it in Fisher's Cafe in downtown Brownsville 50 years ago. After a night on the town in Matamoros Mexico I always stopped at Fisher's in the wee hours for a plate of those things. Fisher's was open 24/7/365. Fisher's is long gone, but a plate of tamales covered with Wolf chili brings it all back, except the hangover the next morning.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Back in the old days, my last stop Saturday night was Tony Paco's Café on Front Street in Toledo, Ohio. I stood in the back, drank beer, and listened to the "Cake Walkin' Jazz Band". Then just before closing time, when the crowds thinned out, I would get a bowl of "Tony's Mom's Homemade Chili. Cleared the senses for the drive home.

This was the place my grandfather send my dad to on Sunday to get a bucket of beer for a nickel, which also entitled him to take stuff from the buffet. This was during the Depression.

Tony Paco's is still there. You can find their canned hot dog chili around here (central Ohio), which I like on Hebrew National hotdogs.

There's more, but I'll stop here.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Do any of the longtime Texans here remember when it was that ConAgra scooped up Wolf Brand chili...The stuff Walmart had hereabouts seemed to give up a lot to what I brought home from an HEB store In New Braunfels 12-15 years ago...It wouldn't be the first time a comp. had to cheapen the product in order to meet Walmart's pricing requirements..I Think I remember that ConAgra also scooped up Dennisons when American Home Products gave the old heave to their food products line..in the old days,pre 1970s,Dennisons was way better than Hormels ,but you had to pay for the diff... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I agree 100%. Wolf Brand Chili is a Texas staple. Wolf now makes several varieties to suits a variety of tastes. I will admit to stocking the original Wolf Brand Chili in my pantry. My favorite use is to pour some of it over a plate of tamales.

You, sir, have, or at least had, a stronger stomach than I.

I had some Costco Ranch Gold a while back and liked it- our Costco never heard of it- what I really liked about it was it seemed to be not so salty as many canned chili- lower sodium and more actual spice
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I helped make brick chili in a packing house . Pig snouts , pig tongue , hog maw , tripe , beef heart , beef lungs . Cooked it all day in 50 gallon pots and it was dang good !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    I think this is an interesting topic. We make our own chilli, but if I could find a brand of canned chilli with no sweetener of any kind (I haven't eaten refined sugar in 22 years) I would buy two or three cases and put them aside for emergencies. Anybody have any thoughts on sugar content? Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    There is a small area in Southern Indiana and Kentucky where the locals make chili with (gack) spaghetti. This was on the menu in my grade school cafeteria in the 70's. Having spent my formative years in the south and south west I was horrified. I never could eat that abomination.
    In rural Minnesota, we called that Chili Mac...one of my Mom's "MAIN" dishes that uses canned chili as an ingredient. Now, as an Adult, I make my own chili...I'll leave the canned chili for someone else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Hormel No Beans variety is what I keep in our pantry for emergencies or grandkid visits, they love it over Beef Dinner Franks with chopped White Onion, Pickled Jalapeno Rings, shredded Mexican 4 Cheese Blend & Sour Cream. SWMBO poured some over some fresh 80/20 Ground Beef Patties last nite, topped with Jalapeno Rings, Mexican 4 Cheese & Sour Cream .... as my Old Huntin' Bud used to say " It'll make a turd .... "
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Quote Originally Posted by onceabull View Post
    Do any of the longtime Texans here remember when it was that ConAgra scooped up Wolf Brand chili...The stuff Walmart had hereabouts seemed to give up a lot to what I brought home from an HEB store In New Braunfels 12-15 years ago...It wouldn't be the first time a comp. had to cheapen the product in order to meet Walmart's pricing requirements..I Think I remember that ConAgra also scooped up Dennisons when American Home Products gave the old heave to their food products line..in the old days,pre 1970s,Dennisons was way better than Hormels ,but you had to pay for the diff... Onceabull
    There are now about a half dozen products marketed by Wolf as chili. However the original hasn't changed, as least as my taste buds know. Avoid the lean, no fat, beans, mild or super hot stuff. Just buy the original.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    You, sir, have, or at least had, a stronger stomach than I.
    I still eat that stuff on a regular basis. As my Grandfather used to say; "You just don't know what good is.".

I like to make a tamale chili casserole. Layer tamales in the bottom of a casserole dish, cover with a can of Wolf Brand Chili, add a layer of chopped onions and shreaded cheese, with a few jalapenos chopped in. Add another can of Wolf Brand chili and cover the top with more cheese and onions. Bake until it is done. This is so good, it will make you want to slap your mama. Caution: This is not a heart healthy dish.

Boolit Master

Dang, CG, now my tummy's hungerin'!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast