MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Uses For RL -12

Boolit Buddy

Uses For RL -12

Hello again,

Had a guy mention he had some RL-12 he was not using and wanted to know if I was interested. Before saying "yes" went digging in the loading manuals. Not a lot of info. So a question for you: Have you used RL12 and what calibers?

Thank you.

Mark

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    RL12 was replaced by RL15 and can be used in the same applications.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

which is pretty much anything 4895 is used for.

Boolit Buddy
    RL 12 was outstanding in a 22-250 that I loaded for years ago.

Boolit Master
    I think RL-12 was replaced by Power Pro Varmint, I believe it is in the same position in the Allianr burn chart
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

I wish I could get a 8 pounder of RL-12! It is in between RL10 and RL15 and worked very well in my 308 sized cases. To date, I haven't found another powder that truly replaces it.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    If you look around you will find loading info in a later Hercules powder manual. They had both RL12 and RL15 loads listed.

IIRC by the time Alliant took over production RL12 was gone.

Boolit Grand Master

I used both rl 12 and 15 in the 223 with heavy bullets and 308 maych loads. Its in the right burn rate range for garands, M1As, and other semi autos. I still have some 8 pounders of each on the bench. Both reloader 12 and 15 were on the shelves together for many years. The one I miss is reloader 22.

In the .30-30, RL-12 and 4064 give pretty identical ballistics.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Buddy
    So the powder is a "go" and there are 13 pounds available at $19.25 a pound. It was made in the USA. Yes or no and is this a fair price?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The powder is probably 10-15 years old. I think his asking price is a bit high for old powder
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I'd offer him half of what he was asking.

Somewhere around $12-$14/lb I'd lose interest and go buy fresh powder instead.

.35 Rem, Super-14 Contender, 225gr HAWK at 1900fps and 3/4" groups at 100 yards....
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Buddy
    Initially I was looking for RL15 which does not exist in my area and most rifle powders are now #$28.00/pound around here. Sales tax, shipping & hazmat were not collected and that was factored in. Could not pass it up. Well, ended up with 10 pounds and made the cost of .308's that much more economical! I have been using powder from my disassembled EU 42' M2 ammo for several years so the age issue was not an issue. Thank you for the feedback.

Boolit Master
    Good deal on your acquisition.

RL 12 was around for a short period of time, maybe 20 years ago. Got a couple cans myself. I believe that all of the Reloder series of powder was imported, at least when RL 12 was offered.

There are some loads for it in Lee's Modern manual also, if you can't get a Hercules guide.

Boolit Buddy
    Reloder 12 was discontinued in 1998. It made my four .300 Savages come to life with ballistics similar to my .308's without any pressure spikes. When I found out it was being discontinued I bought 19 pounds, all in Lot #012. I've worked with lots 003, 006, 011, and 012. Only Lot 011 was slower and I'm using it up in my 30-06's where it shines. I have not had great success with Reloder 12 in my .308's which is odd because of how well it works in the .300 Savage. It is just ho hum in my .308 Winchesters. Another old cartridge it works well in is the .35 Remington. I've got four .35's and Reloder 12 produces the best accuracy and velocity (2300 fps in my Marlin 336C wth 200 grain bullets) of any powder I've tried to date. My .358 Winchesters and my .35 Whelens also perform splendidly with Reloder 12. I originally bought so much of it strictly for my .300 Savages but through the years I've used it to branch out a bit.

Don't worry about buying old Reloder 12 because it is a double based powder containing nytroglycerin and it won't go bad if stored normally and properly. I just checked the other day to see how much I have remaining and I'm at 14 pounds unopened and three pounds I've opened and am working with.

358 Win

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Allient has a wonderful web site that will list the recommended uses of RE12. You might want to actually look at the original source of the powder for data. What a wild thought!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy
    Very pleased with this powder for with the first trip to the range. Went back through the older Sierra manuals and found data. Initial groups at 100 yards have 3 of five in a clover leave. Other load of interest has 2 pairs of 2 forming to figure 8's 3/8 apart. Not bad considering the brass would be considered "low quality" and the jacketed bullet were military surplus but not the 147 grain FMJ's. With rifle powder ranging from $27-29.99 per pound this was a great purchase.

Boolit Mold
    I use RL12 in a single shot .223 with a 1 in 12 twist. Getting 1.25" groups at 100 yds.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can get hold of a copy of Pet Loads i think Ken did a write up on that powder that covered a few popular calibers.