Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

View Poll Results: If you could have only one caliber, what would it be and why?

Voters
1012. You may not vote on this poll
  • .45-70

35 3.46%
  • .357 / 38 SP

190 18.77%
  • 44 Mag / 44 SP

108 10.67%
  • 41 Mag

18 1.78%
  • 45 Colt / .410 Shotgun / 454 Casull

59 5.83%
  • 45 ACP / 460 Rowland

26 2.57%
  • 22lr / 22 Short / 22 long

44 4.35%
  • .223 / 5.56x45

19 1.88%
  • .308 Win / 7.62x51

80 7.91%
  • 7.63 x 39

13 1.28%
  • 300 AAC/Whisper

8 0.79%
  • 9mm Luger

26 2.57%
  • 10mm / 40SW

5 0.49%
  • 22 Hornet

3 0.30%
  • 20 Gauge

8 0.79%
  • 12 Gauge

87 8.60%
  • 6.5x55 Swede

16 1.58%
  • 7mm-08

5 0.49%
  • 30-06

143 14.13%
  • 30-30

34 3.36%
  • 22 Mag

3 0.30%
  • Other

82 8.10%
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one caliber, what would it be?

Boolit Mold
    12 gage point and pull !

Boolit Grand Master

I originally answered 12 ga. because of the versatility with birdshot, buckshot and slugs, plus availability worldwide. I was thinking more one gun situation/end of the world choice type thing but that's not what this poll seems to be about.

One caliber doesn't mean one gun so a guy could have many guns chambered for that caliber. in the case of 12 ga. I could have guns set up for birdshot, buckshot and slugs. However, shotguns do have pretty limited range so I have been rethinking.

I might change my choice to .45-70.

It is a very versatile cartridge suitable for a wide range of boolit weights and load levels especially in a modern gun. Good for plinking and small game with collar button boolits. Good for hunting medium to large game with mid range 300 to 400 gr. boolits and for long range target shooting or really large game there are the 500+ gr. boolits.

A single shot gun could be reamed to remove rifling and the cartridges loaded with shot as well.

No harder on lead supplies with heavy boolits than a 12 ga. slug and much easier on the lead supply than a 12 ga. when loaded with collar button boolits.

Easier to load plinking/fun rounds than a 12 ga. and likely more accurate at any range than even a rifled 12 ga. with sabot slugs.

That's it, I'm changing my answer to .45-70. I'd need at least 4 or 5 guns of different types but all in .45-70. It may not be in this list but it is in my list!

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I originally answered 12 ga. because of the versatility with birdshot, buckshot and slugs, plus availability worldwide. I was thinking more one gun situation/end of the world choice type thing but that's not what this poll seems to be about.

One caliber doesn't mean one gun so a guy could have many guns chambered for that caliber. in the case of 12 ga. I could have guns set up for birdshot, buckshot and slugs. However, shotguns do have pretty limited range so I have been rethinking.

I might change my choice to .45-70.

It is a very versatile cartridge suitable for a wide range of boolit weights and load levels especially in a modern gun. Good for plinking and small game with collar button boolits. Good for hunting medium to large game with mid range 300 to 400 gr. boolits and for long range target shooting or really large game there are the 500+ gr. boolits.

A single shot gun could be reamed to remove rifling and the cartridges loaded with shot as well.

No harder on lead supplies with heavy boolits than a 12 ga. slug and much easier on the lead supply than a 12 ga. when loaded with collar button boolits.

Easier to load plinking/fun rounds than a 12 ga. and likely more accurate at any range than even a rifled 12 ga. with sabot slugs.

That's it, I'm changing my answer to .45-70. I'd need at least 4 or 5 guns of different types but all in .45-70. It may not be in this list but it is in my list!

Longbow
    You make some very good points on 45/70! And a Thompson single shot pistol(Or 2 ) would round it out nicely.

Boolit Master
    I voted .44. I can carry a revolver for EDC or home defense or hunting. Rifle loaded with cast from mild to wild for just about any animal on the planet that's not a "pachyderm". Does TC still make shot shells and barrels with the shredder choke? If you really want an auto I hear
    Magnum Research makes a pocket pistol called a "Desert Eagle".

Boolit Man
    Without a doubt it would be 22RF. It can feed you, protect you, and you can carry a lot of ammo.

Read a book one time that opined that if the SHTF times come, 22RF ammo would become the "coin of the realm."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    A 45 Long Colt and 410 Shotgun are single gun compatible
    No, they're not. .410 shotshells won't fit in a .45 Colt chamber, and while .45 Colt will fit in a .410 shotgun chamber, you would be firing a .452-.455 bullet into a .410", non-rifled bore that likely chokes down to .39" or so.
    Yes, I'm aware of .45/.410 guns. They are not proper .45 Colts, and they are certainly not .410 shotguns.
    Now, you can fire .410s in a .444 Marlin. And if I were gonna put up with all my revolvers having a nearly 3" long cylinder, I would much rather it chambered in .444. That way it is at least a proper chamber and bore for the metallic cartridge. And I would use the standard .44 rifle twist of 1:38", which might give a shot load a better chance. The .430" bore would definitely work better with a .410 shot cup than a .452" bore, too.

On second thought, no I wouldn't. I would use the slow twist in a levergun, but the 1:18" or so standard .44 revolver twist in my revolvers and in a bolt action (so I could shoot 350ish grain boolits), and I would have some real, smoothbore, choked .410 shotguns. I would just load my .410 shotshells in .444 brass, since that works fine and I'm not allowed standard .410 hulls (or am I? The quoted text would indicate that I am).
    Last edited by Tracy; 12-14-2016 at 12:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    It's 30-06 for me. I can kill anything on this continent up to a reasonable range, target shoot, and use it for self defense from man or bear if needed.

303 British all the way!!

Interesting poll. I chose 12 gauge.
    It's good to both 100 yards (plus), and point blank. It can be fed high dollar rounds for high power, and cheap birdshot for plinking in the back yard and not have to worry about cost.

Boolit Master

.375 H&H If I have to explain it, you will never get it.

that said, your title said caliber,which in my mind excludes shotguns so probably a 12 pump

Boolit Bub
    This is kinda depressing but mostly just difficult. I'll chime in anyway.

When I was younger, a 12 guage would've been my pick but as I get older I find that I often need both hands free while working and toting around a big heavy shotgun is often out of the question for me. I would find myself unarmed more often then not so I would really need a sidearm. This breaks my heart but the wonderful 12 is out.

As for rifles, I rarely have the need to shoot over 150 yards and never more than 200 so I wouldn't need my 270/308/30'06. I would like to say 7.62x39 due to the accuracy, availability, and performance it has had on wildlife and man since it's inception. That's assuming that I could load my own with SP of course. Again, I would be left without my sidearm although my AR sling makes it available more often then my shotguns.

I really would like to pick my 45colt because of the rifles and pistols that it's chambered in and the performance that can be obtained through handloading but I haven't gotten the kinks worked out of this round yet. It also can be loaded with shotshell loads but I don't care for the 45/410s personally. As of now, I would have to pass on the 45colt.

If handguns were illegal or unavailable, it would be probably go to the 12 gauge but I'm pretty confident that I could survive with my AR 7.62x39 as an only firearm period choice.

Ultimately, I will have to choose the 44mag/44special. There's many great lever actions out there chambered in this round. I also have a Ruger 44 Magnum semi auto rifle that is very handy in the woods. It has plenty of power for anything that I might encounter and has proven to be adequately accurate for just about any hunting. It can be loaded with shotshells and could be semi-useful in that sense. There's been so many well made handguns in this caliber that it is easy to find one that suits you. Factory rounds are readily available and adequately powered unlike my beloved 45colt. Handloading doesn't present any problems and it's even been made in a semi-auto handgun (if you consider a desert eagle a handgun). Most of these firearms will work with mouse fart loads as well.

While the 44 siblings aren't my favorite rounds, if I could only have one cartridge to live and survive with for the rest of my life, this would be my choice. I'm glad that I don't actually have to make that choice though.

I love that this thread is still going.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

If I could only have one caliber it would be 45. That covers muzzeloader, handgun and I could make it work in a rifle.

If I could have only one cartridge I would take a 30-30, but I voted 30-06 as that is what the Springfield 1903 comes in and if I could only have one gun, that would be it.

-ktw

In Remembrance
    Interesting to see all the different choices.

Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    If I could only have one caliber it would be 45. That covers muzzeloader, handgun and I could make it work in a rifle.

If I could have only one cartridge I would take a 30-30, but I voted 30-06 as that is what the Springfield 1903 comes in and if I could only have one gun, that would be it.

-ktw
    That's an interesting choice. If I had to pick between 30-06 and 30-30 I'd pick the '06 because it could do everything the 30-30 could do and more. I wonder what you're reasoning is here?
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

I pick the 44 mag u can load it up or down

Boolit Buddy

Having thought that I had already participated in this Poll , I read thru and discovered that I had not , I guess it may have been the other poll about IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE GUN ?......Im going to have to go with the 44 Mag,... for one reason I love my 44s and I like the 44 Mag in a leaver action also, Had it been the other Poll I would have to stick with my Ruger #1 in 223, ive had that gun since 78 or 79 and it still drives tacks to this day ........ I shoot a ton of 38 -357 also but im going to have to choose the 44 for a one caliber, duel purpose application.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    That's an interesting choice. If I had to pick between 30-06 and 30-30 I'd pick the '06 because it could do everything the 30-30 could do and more. I wonder what you're reasoning is here?
    I have more guns in 30-30 and work with it more than I do with the 30-06.

30-30 has the long neck, although the 30-06 is no slouch in that department either.

30-30 has less case volume making it more efficient in terms of powder usage for the types of shooting I do. I don't have much use for the extra power you can extract from the 30-06 over and above what you can get out of the 30-30.

-ktw

The .32 W.C.F. because, well because OK! Win. '92 and S&W 1905, I just can't think of anything I'd rather shoot!

Boolit Mold
    I have to say 30-06, but 6.5 Swede is a close second. 30-06 is one of the most versatile rounds in the world: it can be loaded down for plinking and small game harvesting, or loaded up to light magnum levels. Plus, PING!!! Need I say more?

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast