MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereStainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication
Graf & SonsLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: If you could only have one powder?

Voters
380. You may not vote on this poll
  • H4895

16 4.21%
  • Bullseye

20 5.26%
  • Unique

205 53.95%
  • Varget

10 2.63%
  • Benchmark

2 0.53%
  • RL15

3 0.79%
  • Red Dot

29 7.63%
  • W 231

9 2.37%
  • W748

1 0.26%
  • H335

3 0.79%
  • Lil'Gun

0 0%
  • H4350

4 1.05%
  • RL17

0 0%
  • Other

78 20.53%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: If you could have only one powder?

Boolit Master

"I don't remember why Unique was my first selection for pistol powder when I started reloading, but I'd wager it was seeing it listed over and over in the manuals I read as my primer to reloading."

That's why it was one of the first powders I bought. With little money I wanted to find the powder that worked in the widest variety of calibers I would shoot and Unique constantly popped up
    Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
    Bastiat

Sic transit gloria mundi ( the glory of man is fleeting)
    Whispered in Julius Caesars ear before every speech to remind him that everything comes to an end.

Non nobis Domine,
    non nobis,
    sed nomini tuo da gloriam

(Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us,
    but to thy name give the glory.)
    Knights Templar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    It did. It is not a joke. And I learned this fact here on this forum. It has been around since the nineteenth century, back when all bullets were lead.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Hercu...y.-a0183552859

Also: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Gen...-Smokeless.pdf see pages 33, 37 and 40, 42, 44 and 46.

Looks like "the load" of (almost) ten grains of Unique has been around for a long time.

I am using it in several loads right now in .308, .30-06, and .338-06 that are shooting very well. I especially like what I'm seeing with the Lyman 33889 250 gr bullet over 20 grs. at ~1690 fps in the .338-06.
    Thanks for the interesting links. I saved the sight for future use
    Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
    Bastiat

Sic transit gloria mundi ( the glory of man is fleeting)
    Whispered in Julius Caesars ear before every speech to remind him that everything comes to an end.

Non nobis Domine,
    non nobis,
    sed nomini tuo da gloriam

(Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us,
    but to thy name give the glory.)
    Knights Templar

Unique for both 12ga and 20ga

Boolit Master
    I'd change the rules :P H414 for some things, H4198 for some, Unique for others, how could I live with just 1 powder? Ack!

I don't particularly care for it because there is usually a better powder for each application, but Titegroup can be used for just about everything I shoot except muzzleloaders (and that's because I'm not desperate enough to test it but I'll bet I could safely make it work).

It works well in 9/38/40/45 pistol applications from slow to medium speed.
    It works well in 12 ga 3/4 to 1-1/8 shot loads, slugs and buckshot but bridges terribly in my Mec 9000GN so I have to hand weigh each charge.
    It works in rifles from subsonic to 1400 fps cast bullet loads

For handgun, I'd rather use Red Dot for low speed loads, Unique or BE-86 for medium speed loads and PP for high speed loads.

For Shotgun, I'd rather use Titewad or ExtraLite for target loads, Green Dot for mid speed loads and Unique for heavier buckshot and slug loads.

For Rifle, Red Dot is prefered for low recoil cast loads, RL-7 for high speed cast loads and Varget/H335 for full speed jacketed loads.

But if there were only 1 powder produced from now on, I would choose Titegroup. Fortunately, that is not true and never will be true.

Titegroup starts burning too slow which is why you end up with half scorched pistol brass, really smokey lubed bullets and gas cutting on bare lead bullets. It then burns really hot due to its high Nitroglycerin content. It then seems to take forever to burn completely and requires a near maximum handgun charge to burn cleanly. It clings to everything in the reloading room and takes extra effort to completely clean out of a powder hopper.

On the upside, during the last powder shortage, it was often the only powder regularly on the shelves and is priced cheaper than most other powders especially in the 8 pound jugs.

I would have to say 2400, the only cartridge I load that would suffer would be 45acp, but for 38, 357, 45 colt, 460 S&W, 22 hornet, 358 win. I think this would be the most universal powders for the cartridges I prefer, plus all my revolvers are rugers and these are what I load for and hunt with 90% of time.

Boolit Buddy
    It was hard to decide but Green Dot would probably work best for me. It will work for all my revolvers my 30/30 and my 20 ga. shotguns. Not a
    perfect powder but it fills a lot of niches

Boolit Master

Unique, because it IS.
    If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678