MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox

View Poll Results: If you could only have one powder?

Voters
706. You may not vote on this poll
  • H4895

39 5.52%
  • Bullseye

33 4.67%
  • Unique

359 50.85%
  • Varget

22 3.12%
  • Benchmark

4 0.57%
  • RL15

3 0.42%
  • Red Dot

63 8.92%
  • W 231

21 2.97%
  • W748

2 0.28%
  • H335

6 0.85%
  • Lil'Gun

3 0.42%
  • H4350

7 0.99%
  • RL17

1 0.14%
  • Other

143 20.25%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one powder?

Boolit Grand Master

"I don't remember why Unique was my first selection for pistol powder when I started reloading, but I'd wager it was seeing it listed over and over in the manuals I read as my primer to reloading."

That's why it was one of the first powders I bought. With little money I wanted to find the powder that worked in the widest variety of calibers I would shoot and Unique constantly popped up
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    It did. It is not a joke. And I learned this fact here on this forum. It has been around since the nineteenth century, back when all bullets were lead.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Hercu...y.-a0183552859

Also: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Gen...-Smokeless.pdf see pages 33, 37 and 40, 42, 44 and 46.

Looks like "the load" of (almost) ten grains of Unique has been around for a long time.

I am using it in several loads right now in .308, .30-06, and .338-06 that are shooting very well. I especially like what I'm seeing with the Lyman 33889 250 gr bullet over 20 grs. at ~1690 fps in the .338-06.
    Thanks for the interesting links. I saved the sight for future use
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Unique for both 12ga and 20ga

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd change the rules :P H414 for some things, H4198 for some, Unique for others, how could I live with just 1 powder? Ack!

I don't particularly care for it because there is usually a better powder for each application, but Titegroup can be used for just about everything I shoot except muzzleloaders (and that's because I'm not desperate enough to test it but I'll bet I could safely make it work).

It works well in 9/38/40/45 pistol applications from slow to medium speed.
    It works well in 12 ga 3/4 to 1-1/8 shot loads, slugs and buckshot but bridges terribly in my Mec 9000GN so I have to hand weigh each charge.
    It works in rifles from subsonic to 1400 fps cast bullet loads

For handgun, I'd rather use Red Dot for low speed loads, Unique or BE-86 for medium speed loads and PP for high speed loads.

For Shotgun, I'd rather use Titewad or ExtraLite for target loads, Green Dot for mid speed loads and Unique for heavier buckshot and slug loads.

For Rifle, Red Dot is prefered for low recoil cast loads, RL-7 for high speed cast loads and Varget/H335 for full speed jacketed loads.

But if there were only 1 powder produced from now on, I would choose Titegroup. Fortunately, that is not true and never will be true.

Titegroup starts burning too slow which is why you end up with half scorched pistol brass, really smokey lubed bullets and gas cutting on bare lead bullets. It then burns really hot due to its high Nitroglycerin content. It then seems to take forever to burn completely and requires a near maximum handgun charge to burn cleanly. It clings to everything in the reloading room and takes extra effort to completely clean out of a powder hopper.

On the upside, during the last powder shortage, it was often the only powder regularly on the shelves and is priced cheaper than most other powders especially in the 8 pound jugs.

I would have to say 2400, the only cartridge I load that would suffer would be 45acp, but for 38, 357, 45 colt, 460 S&W, 22 hornet, 358 win. I think this would be the most universal powders for the cartridges I prefer, plus all my revolvers are rugers and these are what I load for and hunt with 90% of time.

It was hard to decide but Green Dot would probably work best for me. It will work for all my revolvers my 30/30 and my 20 ga. shotguns. Not a
    perfect powder but it fills a lot of niches

Boolit Grand Master

Unique, because it IS.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Went to the range sat with my new neighbor.

Shot .45acp Hipoint Carbine (Red Dot 5 gr) .30-30 in a Handi rifle 185 gr gas checked over 4.6 gr Red Dot.

Shot Hipoint C9 9mm pistol 3 gr Red Dot. Shot 2 H&R Revolvers in .32sw long Lee .314 90 gr TC over 2 gr Red Dot.

Shot the Ruger Mk III 22/45 with Red Dot sight Federal factory loaded ammo.
    Shot Heritage Rough Rider with the .22mag cylinder and a 50 round box of old .22mag.

This one was surprising. I have never been that impressed by this little single action pistol shooting .22lr. Groups seem to wander, not that tight, not that easy to know exactly where to hold to hit.

But, shooting .22mag loads. Group was tight, shot to POA. Was wearing a nice set of hearing protection headphones and the noise did not bother me at all. I was seeing a roughly basketball sized fireball with each shot.

But she certainly liked the more expensive ammo.

All in all 3 hours of highly enjoyable time was spent. Both the Hipoint .45acp carbine and the Handi rifle were putting rounds dead center in bullseye at 50 yards. Good enough for today, we'll see about stretching longer another day.

And except for the 22's, all rounds were loaded with modest amounts of Red Dot and cast boolits.

Banned
    if i could have only one powder? i would say unique but i'll go with 2400.

2400 does my 30-30, 30-40 krag, 44 spl, 44 mag, 444 marlin, 45-70 and 500 linebaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

Shot .45acp Hipoint Carbine (Red Dot 5 gr) .30-30 in a Handi rifle 185 gr gas checked over 4.6 gr Red Dot.

Shot Hipoint C9 9mm pistol 3 gr Red Dot. Shot 2 H&R Revolvers in .32sw long Lee .314 90 gr TC over 2 gr Red Dot.

Shot Heritage Rough Rider with the .22mag cylinder and a 50 round box of old .22mag.

This one was surprising. I have never been that impressed by this little single action pistol shooting .22lr. Groups seem to wander, not that tight, not that easy to know exactly where to hold to hit.

But, shooting .22mag loads. Group was tight, shot to POA. Was wearing a nice set of hearing protection headphones and the noise did not bother me at all. I was seeing a roughly basketball sized fireball with each shot.

All in all 3 hours of highly enjoyable time was spent. Both the Hipoint .45acp carbine and the Handi rifle were putting rounds dead center in bullseye at 50 yards. Good enough for today, we'll see about stretching longer another day.

And except for the 22's, all rounds were loaded with modest amounts of Red Dot and cast boolits.
    The bore on your .22 is too big for .22 long rifle. Few .22LR/.22 Mag convertable refolvers shoot well with .22 LR
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Here's a thread that escaped my perusing...I vote "Other". Black Powder is versatile and can be easily made at home. It would be my #1. If it has to be commercial powder for the poll...then I'd choose Red Dot....(I have a recipe for making it too....so...still a homebrew if need be)

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Only one powder? (Sob!) But...you listed pistol and rifle powders. Two is fair...H4350 or Varget for most rifles/calibers, and Unique for handguns.

But...I almost forgot... Unique has provided some accurate loads in my rifle, if not really high velocity. Would probably do for Deer, pigs, coyotes, and the like at ~100 yards.

Of course I don't know if it would be suitable in handguns, but Hodgdon's "light" rifle loads of 4895, for low recoil and effectiveness at ranges shorter than kittycorner across the back 40 would probably do for long guns.

I think somebody here mentioned it, but I had never heard of Promo, let alone seen any on any LGS shelf until about 10-12 months ago.(1 lonely can!) No mention in any manual or scholarly reloading 'zine. what does it do? How well does it fill a .357 Magnum case, compared to Unique? Decisions, decisions! Will it never end?
    Last edited by sniper; 03-08-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    "i don't remember why unique was my first selection for pistol powder when i started reloading, but i'd wager it was seeing it listed over and over in the manuals i read as my primer to reloading."

that's why it was one of the first powders i bought. With little money i wanted to find the powder that worked in the widest variety of calibers i would shoot and unique constantly popped up
    Exactly !

I chose Unique because there is a load for about everything. You can get enough in a shotgun shell for self defense or to take game. 38/357 and 44spl/44mag anything mild to wild. Cast boolits or j-words. My SBH loves 12ish grains and a 200gr Hornady.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I keep trying new calibers, new guns, Red Dot keeps working. In everything.

But it may not cycle a semi auto rifle.

But it will shoot, and it will score.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I don't particularly care for it because there is usually a better powder for each application, but Titegroup can be used for just about everything I shoot except muzzleloaders (and that's because I'm not desperate enough to test it but I'll bet I could safely make it work).

It works well in 9/38/40/45 pistol applications from slow to medium speed.
    It works well in 12 ga 3/4 to 1-1/8 shot loads, slugs and buckshot but bridges terribly in my Mec 9000GN so I have to hand weigh each charge.
    It works in rifles from subsonic to 1400 fps cast bullet loads

For handgun, I'd rather use Red Dot for low speed loads, Unique or BE-86 for medium speed loads and PP for high speed loads.

For Shotgun, I'd rather use Titewad or ExtraLite for target loads, Green Dot for mid speed loads and Unique for heavier buckshot and slug loads.

For Rifle, Red Dot is prefered for low recoil cast loads, RL-7 for high speed cast loads and Varget/H335 for full speed jacketed loads.

But if there were only 1 powder produced from now on, I would choose Titegroup. Fortunately, that is not true and never will be true.

Titegroup starts burning too slow which is why you end up with half scorched pistol brass, really smokey lubed bullets and gas cutting on bare lead bullets. It then burns really hot due to its high Nitroglycerin content. It then seems to take forever to burn completely and requires a near maximum handgun charge to burn cleanly. It clings to everything in the reloading room and takes extra effort to completely clean out of a powder hopper.

On the upside, during the last powder shortage, it was often the only powder regularly on the shelves and is priced cheaper than most other powders especially in the 8 pound jugs.
    I agree with your thoughts. Has a few shortcomings,but very versatile.

Boolit Buddy
    Imr-3031 & imr-4064
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

I reload 22lr. I do not use Red Dot at the moment but others use it and have good luck with it. Had I known that Red Dot would have worked in 22lr I would have bought it and would be using it now. One thing I really like is that it doesn't take much. 1.5 grain of Red Dot is roughly equivalent to 1.88 grain of what I am now using. AND in the future I hope to use Green Dot for use in 22lr. It is cheaper and uses a very small amnt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    Imr-3031 & imr-4064
    Got to love imr 4064.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast