MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: If you could only have one powder?

Voters
706. You may not vote on this poll
  • H4895

39 5.52%
  • Bullseye

33 4.67%
  • Unique

359 50.85%
  • Varget

22 3.12%
  • Benchmark

4 0.57%
  • RL15

3 0.42%
  • Red Dot

63 8.92%
  • W 231

21 2.97%
  • W748

2 0.28%
  • H335

6 0.85%
  • Lil'Gun

3 0.42%
  • H4350

7 0.99%
  • RL17

1 0.14%
  • Other

143 20.25%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one powder?

Boolit Buddy
    Unique or 2400
    Last edited by besk; 09-04-2020 at 07:36 PM.

5 years later it is still Red Dot for me. I'm happy with it. Its only real shortcomings as I see it is that it may not cycle a semi auto rifle. And it will never match the speeds of the slower powders.

Accuracy yes, super trifty yes, fun to shoot yes. And speed is not required for penetration. Mass is required, but speed can be as low as 800 ish fps. It is after all what makes the 1911 and the .45acp so effective.

Shooting 800 to 1600 fps does require you to learn the rainbow and judge distance.
    But at 6-10 cents a round you can afford to burn some ammo learning that rainbow.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy

If limited to one pistol powder: Unique.
    If limited to one rifle powder: WW748.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    For pistols & revolvers, Alliant Unique, Herco, or BE-86, or Accurate #5. For rifles, H4895, IMR4895, IMR4064, or Varget. I could "get by" on a rifle propellant as fast as IMR3031, but I'd hate to.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Rifle: Varget
    Pistol: CFE Pistol or Longshot, possibly BE-86

Honestly I'm not too picky about pistol powders, but Varget is just superb for the most common rifle calibers.

Boolit Buddy
    Right now for me and the guns I load for it has to be 5744 or shooters world Buffalo rifle.have been loading everything from 223 to 45/70. Including 357 mag & 44 mag.

Boolit Bub
    Red dot,

Boolit Buddy
    Reloder 17 and Unique

Boolit Master

If limited to only one, I'd have Bullseye, Unique and 2400. And black.

Prove I have more than one, neener.

Boolit Bub
    Such an unfair question! like having to choose to keep only one of your children! LOL rifle,Varget pistol, Unique

Boolit Buddy
    Unique works in everything, in some manner. It's excellent in shotgun, pistol, and works in reduced rifle loads. Its, it's......................unique!

Red Dot does too....................

Boolit Man
    Since my beloved SR 4756 is discontinued, I've switched to Herco.

Boolit Buddy
    Unique or Red dot? Since I have a bunch of 97 primers I still need to use, I guess I'll go with Red dot.

Banned
    H4895 for me , I shoot rifle only . I see I need to look into Unique before I start my journey into cast .

Without a doubt, Swiss 2F. 44WCF, 38-55, 45-70 and yes...357 Magnum (in an 1892 Winchester)

Boolit Master

I can't answer that question as it is too confining. For rifle it would be either IMR 4895 or IMR 4530. For pistol it would be Unique or W231. There is no such thing as one powder for both rifle and pistol and expect full capabilities for each. my .02 anyway

Boolit Mold
    Unique for handgun, and 4064 for rifle (M1 Garand).

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    It seems that I at some time voted in this poll but I'm not sure why or how . The whole concept is foolish . No one that reloads is gonna have just one powder . If I ever get below 10 different powders it will be because of several large fires .

How about a poll for " If you could only have 1 primer , what would it be and what would you put it in ? Or , would you just save it to auction on GB ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    It seems that I at some time voted in this poll but I'm not sure why or how . The whole concept is foolish . No one that reloads is gonna have just one powder . If I ever get below 10 different powders it will be because of several large fires .

How about a poll for " If you could only have 1 primer , what would it be and what would you put it in ? Or , would you just save it to auction on GB ?
    I know and have known a lot of guys who reload that only have 1 powder. Even more that only have 2 powders. But they aren't hobby reloaders, but are practical reloaders.

But I had an uncle that in fact bought and tested every single powder that came out. That included fast or slow lots of surplused powders. And when he died most of the cans of powder only ever had a bit gone. Some of them hadn't been made in 40+ years and my cousins or I couldn't find load data for them. But he was what he liked doing and didn't harm anything.

FWIW. I'd reload that primer multiple times so that I could put it in several different rounds. Plus treat that primer like great-grandpa's axe. You know that axe. It's 150 years old, well use and still in great shape. Of course handle has been replaced 5 times and the head been replaced twice.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I have known a few that started loading and quit shortly there after that only ever had one or two powders . Never personally knew any that had loaded for any real length of time and only used 1 with the exception of one guy that only reloaded for a Black Powder cartridge rifle that he could not buy ready rolls for . Of course there are millions (or more) people in this world who reload and I only personally know a few thousand of them so I guess anything is possible .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast