Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Model 70 extractor

Boolit Master

Model 70 extractor

So my Searschester is simply a cheap post 64 Model 70 and share the same low budget extractor . . .

Hence the problem.

Got it out last fall to test loads (RD's 165 boolist outa that gun) and after the first shot the bolt came back and case still in the chamber.

Come to find out whatever is behind that low class excuse for a real extractor that wiggles, plunges pushes of pulls does none of those things and so the extractor just flops loosely.

I have had KROIL and penetrating oil soaking it since and still stuck today when I tried it.
    However it is made it is far enough forward that the extractor won't come out, but can not be pushed back.

Any ideas out there on "UNSTICKING it?

Issues like this is why Mauser made real extractors on the original.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    If you have the plunger style ejector look for a pin on the side of the bolt body. Good pin punch should get it out. But watch out the ejector and spring don't go airborn when you pull the punch out. Stick a rag or shop towel over the face of the bolt. Usually they get gunked up or jammed from brass shavings. I every so often pull them and clean with q tips or pipe cleaners soaked with kroil. Frank

Boolit Master

Extractor.

It was hot the last time I had shot it and as weird as it seems I am think a droplet of sweat got in there, maybe a little piece of powder, lead.

Looked it up, the plunger is not plunging and the spring is not springing, but the extractor is flopping about!
    Amendments

Have you removed the extractor and ejector from the bolt face?
    Sounds like you either have dirt or a broken spring.

for the extractor - push in the plunger and move to the outside enough that the plunger is still captured - put bolt into gallon plastic bag and pull the extractor the rest of the way out - the plunger and spring should should out into the plastic bag. If it doesn't shoot out remove the plunger and replace the spring and reverse removal steps.

For the Ejector - I use a starting (short) pin punch and then change to a longer pin punch - after the pin comes out back into the bag and remove the pin punch and the ejector should shoot out into the bag, if not replace the spring and reassemble in reverse order.

In my experience if kept clean these are dependable rifles, if your rifle is pulling the brass out of the chamber but not ejecting it from the rifle - look at the ejector side first.

As far as ejector comparisons...
    Remington vs the kind you have

some people don't like the Remington so pay to change it to a SAKO type extractor

Mauser extractors have issues as well

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...-and-push-feed
    Last edited by Artful; 04-10-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Louis, look at the bolt face and you should see a tiny hole in the middle of the extractor, push a dental pick in there to compress the spring and plunger, slide the extractor out of it's slot(comes out to outside of bolt/lug). The spring or plunger must be hung up with rust, hence the flopping extractor. It is the same set up as a Savage 110 extractor except the Win uses an extractor plunger with a tiny tit on it instead of a detent ball. Clean the extractor bore, spring and plunger, use a syn oil that won't gum up and reassemble. Get the extractor started in the bolt slot, hold the spring and plunger down with a small flat screw driver laying down perpendicular to the bolt, push the extractor over the plunger, when in place it will drop over the tit through the tiny hole in the extractor face holding it there under spring pressure. I would reassemble in a box, once you slip and both the plunger and spring go flying they can be hell to find.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I see Art found pictures while I was typing! If the ejector is free to move in and out I wouldn't screw with it!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Artful
    Thank you for all of the great pictures, as an aside I may think about the Sako adaptation for my 788, though in 222 there seems to be plenty of steel there in the factory bolt.

Whoops, back to the original problem, the Searschester . . .

The extractor was just flopping back and forth, but held on to the bolt (thankfully because that is a part that could be easily lost if the plunger was held back enough.
    I have had the bolt face up with Kroil treatment since last fall and have used various instruments to push back against whatever lies behind the extractor every few days (once in a while when I thought about it in reality).
    Yesterday was to be the day that something was going to happen, so I found a piece of spring wire that would fit through the hole in the extractor got my trusty 8# gunsmithing sledge (used for drifting sights on Glocks) and decided something was going to move. Two raps with the 4oz hammer from my range box and the extractor was free (sometimes a rap, tap, shock beats pushing, pulling, tugging to loosen "stuck" things). The plunger and spring were jammed in the hole (parts 3217, 1388 in the blow up from Artful) a little oil and pressing and releasing pressure and they finally seemed to be free, they were free, almost free, when I grabbed at them with needle nose they were"FREE" and launched into the air (THIS IS WHY YOU NEVER WORK IN A CLUTTERED SPACE LIKE I WAS),luckily I heard where they landed and 20 minutes later plunger and spring were in hand and after cleaning the recess I put it all together light application of oil in the plunger/spring recess and into the safe she went.

Dang did not think about it until later that I never function tested her. Oh well that is my cast boolit hunting/shooting 30-06 so it will get lots of testing before fall . . .

With a judicious application of oil (Ed's Red) to the extractor with each trip to the range.

With this kind of success I must be on a roll so it was on to the repair of a little 32 cal Caplock and I considered it a VERY successful Sunday afternoon.
    While I had it apart to fix it I looked over the lock, man that trigger engagement surface really needs some polishing, but is functional as is, and if she will shoot, will see use for spring squirrel season!!!!

YAHOO, Success!

Long post.

THANKS for the great Pictures Artful, I am sure others will find them useful as well!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 04-11-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    Amendments