Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hey Kevin, There's a Super Turret on eBay With YOUR Name on it!!!

Boolit Master
    There was an idea prevalent back then that the tools used for reloading needed to be as heavy and rigid as the machinery in the factories that made the cases and bullets and loaded the ammunition in the first place. Light-duty reloading tools like the tong tools and the light bench tools were thought to be lacking in the stoutness, nuance and je ne sais quoi needed for the ultimate "straight-line" precision that made truly accurate ammunition. This, of course, was nonsense, but tools like the Hollywood, the Schmitt, the Jordan and the Easton Big Giant were for those who cottoned to this notion. They were very expensive, and not for the casual reloader. He had to wait until the Pacific "C" Tool came along, which had all the rigidity anyone needed for reloading, and was affordable as well.

Unlike most of the other heavy duties, Hollywood incorporated a design aesthetic into their tools, for further appeal to the carriage trade. They also had the sense to use the 7/8"-14 dies Pacific developed for their "C" Press, so they continued to be useful, while the other designs drifted into obsolescence.

So it's like collecting Duesenberg cars: they were top of the line when new, they look cool, and you can still run them if you wish. I myself find the three-position sector tool more user friendly than the big turret jobs, which are kind of tiring to spin around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    There was an idea prevalent back then that the tools used for reloading needed to be as heavy and rigid as the machinery in the factories that made the cases and bullets and loaded the ammunition in the first place. Light-duty reloading tools like the tong tools and the light bench tools were thought to be lacking in the stoutness, nuance and je ne sais quoi needed for the ultimate "straight-line" precision that made truly accurate ammunition. This, of course, was nonsense, but tools like the Hollywood, the Schmitt, the Jordan and the Easton Big Giant were for those who cottoned to this notion. They were very expensive, and not for the casual reloader. He had to wait until the Pacific "C" Tool came along, which had all the rigidity anyone needed for reloading, and was affordable as well.

Unlike most of the other heavy duties, Hollywood incorporated a design aesthetic into their tools, for further appeal to the carriage trade. They also had the sense to use the 7/8"-14 dies Pacific developed for their "C" Press, so they continued to be useful, while the other designs drifted into obsolescence.

So it's like collecting Duesenberg cars: they were top of the line when new, they look cool, and you can still run them if you wish. I myself find the three-position sector tool more user friendly than the big turret jobs, which are kind of tiring to spin around.
    I did see one of those 3 position "turret" presses. THAT looked like a good idea. As for Duesenbergs, I get the analogy. I mow the bulk of our property with a 1956 Ford tractor and I also have a 1940 Ford tractor. I could do it with a modern John Deere but I enjoy the old equipment. I have a modern Lee Classic Turret press, but I might enjoy doing some of my reloading with something vintage.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Oh they are cool as heck for sure! I appreciate well made machinery and those look amazing. I didn't know if they had a specific application. Can you walk me through how the Super Turret functions? If one was interested in getting into Hollywood presses, where could one read up on them and which model would you suggest for starters?
    They operate the same as every other press. It's just a lot bigger.

There are articles in old copies of Handloader Digest and Handloader Magazine. If you join ARCTA, their old newsletters have info. You can also go to their web site to read more.

Lubedude, Tracvision, and Pressman also have more info.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day Kevin , I sent you an email yesterday in regard to your remaining Dunbar press did you get it ?

Regards Paul .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day Kevin , I sent you an email yesterday in regard to your remaining Dunbar press did you get it ?

Regards Paul .
    Negative.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    What is the attraction to the Hollywood presses and why are they so beefy?
    I did a write-up on the Hollywood Senior Turret:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Turret-Press

Here is another good link someone posted on a earlier thread on Hollywood History:

http://www.rtconnect.net/~wjmanley/ARTCA/ARTCA15.pdf

I like the Senior Turret so much that I have recently added a cast steel Universal III 12 station press. It was restored by a member here. My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting this person in a little town in Ohio while on a business trip to Indianapolis. It was in the works the previous year as I wanted a turret press unlike any other. I had one year to make the trip and pick this press up and he was patient. The gentleman stepped out of his car at the same time as I did and I was walking to the restaurant when suddenly I heard my name called. I wheeled around and met Kevin Rohrer. He reached into his car and produced a Universal III cast steel press. My wife scolded me for not helping him carry it but I was amazed at the beast. I helped him carry the black beauty into the back of my wife's SUV. I stared lovingly at my new purchase. We went into Cracker Barrel to eat supper and discuss his newest purchase. I really want to see the Super Turret in person! We parted ways and Kevin is a man of his word and the newest Hollywood is sitting in my RV waiting for a Quick Change plate from Dan at Inline Fabrications. It will soon be put into action.

If, God forbids Kevin ever leaves this earth, I want to be first in line to purchase his Super. He has restored it to it's former glory and pics probably don't do it justice compared to seeing it in person.

You know, Lyle may have kept crappy records for all of his various Hollywood presses, but his machining skills are phenomenal!

take care and thank you Kevin!

r1kk1

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day Kevin , private message sent .

Regards Paul .