Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Grease cookie recipe?

Boolit Bub

Grease cookie recipe?

I plan on shooting PP bullets in my .45-70. I live in a very hot & humid area, Houston Tx. Some of the recipes I have read about talk about the cookie melting under hot and humid conditions. Others talk about putting a wax paper wad over the powder first, then the cookie and another regular wad. Others use a use two regular wads with the grease cookie sandwiched between them.

I see where some people use straight SPG while others may use a combination of JoJo lube and beeswax, etc.

I would like to see some recipes of PP shooters and the grease cookie they are using.

Boolit Grand Master

I simply use either the emmerts Improved I make or SPG. The big thing is getting a consistant thikness on your grease cookies once you find what works in your rifle load. Several ways to do this. You can use a brownie pan ( 1" deep ), Add water to brownie pan 1/8-3/8" deep. put a mark above water line to thickness of cookie desired. Melt desired lube on water. SImply set pan on stove burner low heat. With the water lube is self leveling and a very consistant thickness. Melt lube and allow to cool remove to paper towels to dry with a spatula when cooled. Another is wax paper a couple spacers the thickness you want a chunk of desired lube, another piece of wax paper. and roll to thickness with a rolling pin. Another is an extruder as sold by several suppliers. A way to find what you need is to make a sheet of 1/16" thick lube and load test loads with diffrent thickness of grease cookies with this you can test 1/16 1 cookie, 1/8 2 cookies. 3/16 3 cookies ect ect. I normally put my heavy wad on the powder and compress to needed depth. (this holds powder in place allowing case mouth to cut the cookie from the sheet) the grease cookie a .020 playing card wad and a typing paper wad. hand seat the bullet onto this. Keep in mind when compressig with the one wad to add cookie thickness wad stack thickness and depth of bullet into case to get the compression depth you need.

Boolit Grand Master

Shoot meant to put this in also. Emmerts improved lube recipe. 50% beeswax 40% unslated crisco vegtable shortening 5% anahydrous lanolin and 5% oil, can be canola olive Jo Joba. I normally use canola for mine. I do lightly wipe paper patches with Jo Jo ba oil also.

Boolit Buddy
    has anyone tried just an oil soaked in felt wads as a lube wad.
    it seems that William metford did this.
    the wads were soaked in oil, and then drained in a sieve prior to use.
    you might need to load fixed ammo with neck tension for best results.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting concept there. A heavy felt wad with a vegtable based might be very doable. Wondering how this could be accomplished easily and uniformly from batch to batch. cut wads to size from desired thickness felt. SOak for day or to to impregnate and then in strainer for day or so to drain? On thicker oils would heating to thin oil hel;p impregnate the wads? On those hot dry days just the oil with out the beesaw carrier might be just the ticket. Only drawback might be any seating force short of a light touch might press oil out to contaminate powder or patch. This might be an interesting concept to test.

Ive only ever used a .030 veggie wad between the PP boolit & powder
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I rarely use cookies - only in hunting loads - but when I do, I use 50% beeswax 50% sheep tallow (Dixiegunworks.com), and a shot of jojoba oil to keep it a bit soft.

Then wax and/or parchment paper over the powder, then the cookie (0.125" thick) and then 0.060" fiber wad.

Bruce I did that and still have a large container full of those felt wads.
    I stopped at a hat maker to buy a hat and I asked him if he has any trimmings I could have. He gave me a whole arms length of Rabbit fur felt. Good stuff better then wool. I thinned out the lube I use and put the felt in a old coffee pot and soaked the wads for a while in that hot lube. I squeezed out the wads in a potato ricer and patted them dry on paper towels. All this worked good and the cool wads did not stick together. The lube on the end of the muzzle was plentiful but I could never get good consistency down range using them. I still have them.

It's best not to use any lube wads with the PP if you wipe between shots anyway. They are not needed when you wipe. Using the tube is another story.
    I shot with Brent a couple times and his results not using lube wads convinced me to do the same with the PP bullets I shoot.