WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Does anyone know what the twist rate is in a Rem 141 in .35 rem?

Boolit Bub

Does anyone know what the twist rate is in a Rem 141 in .35 rem?

Found a rem 141 at a LGS in .35rem and was wondering what twist it has as well as the average grove dia. Are these good boolit candidates? Their looking to get $600 out of it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    It will be 16" twist and close to .358-.359 groove diameter. If VG+ to Exc. it is a good deal.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    I wouldn't consider it very good but close, has a tang site and the rear sight was removed from the barrel. Has an odd looking scope mount like a cradle of sorts. Just a cool peice and I've always wanted one. Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    You can get Remington 14 and 141 for less money from time to time. I buy Model 14 in 35 Remington around $250 once or twice a year. They are worth $600 in pristine condx, but not bodgered up like the gun you describe. The peep sight is about $80-125 if of Marbles tang type. Repros are available within that range, as well. The twist is 1-14 IIRC, and they handle cast boolits well, having a standard cut groove rifling.

Boolit Bub
    Thought it was a bit much but a cool peice, hate to insult him with a sub $300 offer but I'm sure it's still collecting dust. Thanks for the info.

The Rem 141 barrel twist rate in .35 Rem is 1:16": http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Reference-List

That "cradle" scope mount sounds like it's a Bausch & Lomb W/E adjustable mount (from the 1960's), for a solid tube scope B&L scope (BalVar6, BalVar8, etc) that had no adjustment towers (for a perfect weather seal) in B&L QD rings.

They were popular, among those hunters of the time who could afford the set-up - as two or more different scopes could be set up in extra sets of B&L rings, making switching scopes w/o effecting the rifle's zero E-Z-Peazy.

I've had both a Model 14 & a Model 141, in .35 Rem - and although YMMV, I much prefer the Model 141 to the Model 14 (so, I sold the Model 14 @ $350).

Last edited by pietro; 05-19-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    I like the early 14 with curved steel buttplate best, and have several in 35. I have one that was shortened to carbine length with new 141 style ramp front sight added; very fast. real 18" carbines with integral forged sight are hens teeth and 800 and up in 35. these guns are fast. people round here call them "Potter County Machine Guns".

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    I like the early 14 with curved steel buttplate best, and have several in 35. I have one that was shortened to carbine length with new 141 style ramp front sight added; very fast. real 18" carbines with integral forged sight are hens teeth and 800 and up in 35. these guns are fast. people round here call them "Potter County Machine Guns".

They're the best choice there (PA), along with leverguns, since autoloaders are verboten.

Boolit Master
    Some parts of the country pumps are not popular and the Remingtons do not sell well.
    If the tang sight is a Lyman (milled base) it is worth over $100 alone.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info.