RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Whisper

Boolit Grand Master

300 Whisper

Anyone use, know about, recommend, a 300 whisper. I'm offered one at a good price and have no prior knowledge.
    Varmint-target???????
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Not really good for target or varmints, it is also called .300 Blackout and is used by some for subsonic use, a fav. of the AR crowd. For me it lacks accuracy of some other rounds and has loopy trajectory, which limits it's use on varmints and big game.

Boolit Bub
    Lot of fun subsonic with a can though. 200 plus grain bullets at 1100 fps are awful quiet out of a can. Fun to whack steel targets where the clang is a lot louder than the report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Not really good for target or varmints, it is also called .300 Blackout and is used by some for subsonic use, a fav. of the AR crowd. For me it lacks accuracy of some other rounds and has loopy trajectory, which limits it's use on varmints and big game.
    I don't know what you've shot in 300, but if its so inaccurate, how about you stand anywhere inside of 250 yards and give me a free one,,,,,,,,,,,.

MM, accurate for me both in an AR and SS pistol. My practical range for deer with the pistol and 125 gr jacketed is 150 yards, with the AR I've got nice cast loads in 155 and 195 grains that do just fine to to 230 yards. No, it's not the fastest thing around, but fun, cheap to shoot, and can be downloaded easily to plink.
    Last edited by Hamish; 04-07-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I don't know what you've shot in 300, but if its so inaccurate, how about you stand anywhere inside of 250 yards and give me a free one,,,,,,,,,,,.

MM, accurate for me both in an AR and SS pistol. My practical range for deer with the pistol and 125 gr jacketed is 150 yards, with the AR I've got nice cast loads in 155 and 195 grains that do just fine to to 230 yards. No, it's not the fastest thing around, but fun, cheap to shoot, and can be downloaded easily to plink.
    It's a deal if I can stand at 250 with my .30 Br......a much more accurate and capable round.

Boolit Master

It's a deal if I can stand at 250 with my .30 Br......a much more accurate and capable round.
    Only if I don't have to stand still if I miss,,,,,,,

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

(This is exactly how the rocks, slingshots, BB gun incidents that ended badly as a kid got started,,,,,,)

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys my load books are dated and the whisper part threw me. I thought it maybe part of the short craze that was prevalent a while back.
    Still may get to enjoy one if it's as nice as he says. Have to shoot it first though.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post

I totally agree!! I've been loading some SMK's in 220gr that are just awesome. I have 3 rifles in 300 blackout.

Banned
    I put 10 rounds 0f 147gr in a group you can cover with a 50 cent piece but I guess that's not accurate enough. Three 300's so far and I'm going to sell my 223 AR-15 after having a 300 blackout.

Boolit Master
    the whisper and the blackout do NOT share the same chamber dimensions. I own a whisper. As I understand it the blackout neck is larger in diameter so one can use cut down 223 or 5.56 cases fairly safely. One does so at great peril in a whisper chamber. The whisper was designed to use necked up 221 fireball cases. The act of necking up the case stretches the neck walls even thinner. While necking down cases, as is done making them from 223 cases causes the brass in the neck to get thicker. Firing a cartridge with a thick neck in a whisper chamber will cause dangerously high chamber pressures. I make cases from 223 brass but I also have a neck reaming die and reamer to remove the excess wall thickness.
    http://sskindustries.com/300-whisper-brass/
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master

I have a Ruger Ranch in 300 BO. It will lay them in MOA at 100. Your right, it's no hot rod. I like it a whole more than I thought I would. I doubt I would have one if they were all on the AR platform though. Fun/tractor gun.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I've had 2 benchrest rifles built up in this caliber for use with cast boolits, barrels from great makers, Jewel Triggers, etc. and they don't come close to a similar rifle in .30 Br. The more loads that I try, the .30 Br. gets better, not the .300 Whisper.

Boolit Master

I've had 2 benchrest rifles built up in this caliber for use with cast boolits, barrels from great makers, Jewel Triggers, etc. and they don't come close to a similar rifle in .30 Br. The more loads that I try, the .30 Br. gets better, not the .300 Whisper.
    You shooting just cast in the 30br?

Boolit Master
    I would skip the 300 whisper, and just go 300 blackout. The blackout will chamber both rounds, but not the other way around. I was sceptical at first when I started with it. Now I own 3. One is a 8.5" SBR, and it drops deer just fine shooting supersonic. Fun round, and cheap to shoot cast with. Lots of range 5.56 brass available to convert for nothing.

I just built one with a 16" barrel and I love it!! Shoots great and is perfect if you reload. It loves heavy cast bullets and there is a ton of different rounds you can load into in. Supersonic or subsonic it works great. It does take some trial and error with the sub sonic loads if you don't use a can. I use 223 bras and cut it down. You have to love reloading to want this gun. But is is so much funner than my 223 AR. Subsonic Recoil is like shooting my 22lr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

That looks like Lee's 200 + grain cast bullet and it's a great bullet for the 300BO.

Boolit Master
    That's my fav bullet for mine. Lees 230 gr mold

I have (2) bolt guns in 300 BO they are fun to shoot and the kids love shooting them (9 & 11 yrs old). I have only shot cast in mine 93 RN up to 247 and everything in between. I have shot the Lee .309 - 113 gr FN at 2,350 just to see (2.5 MOA) the 247 are 1 to 1.5 MOA. Both rifles are Rem M SEVEN Micro AAC's 16" bbl with 1:7". Depends on the varmints; the 300 BO would not be high on my list for prairie dogs but would be great for calling in Coyotes 75 to 150 yd shots.

It is not one of those "if I only had one gun" cartridges but it has enough merit to justify its popularity.

The Whisper does have a disadvantage; cases should be made from 221 Fireball brass which is expensive and somewhat hard to find. The BO has a larger neck to eliminate the need to ream necks when re-forming from 223 / 5.56 brass. Perhaps your rifle may chamber reformed 5.56 brass without reaming or turning the necks.

If you are getting it at a good price go for it you could easily sell it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast