Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Lead in bore

Boolit Master

Lead in bore

Lead in bore any tricks to clean it out---also is it a good idea to leave some lead there for lead boolits to ride on ----- I cleaned a bore today using Gojo -- natural orange pumice hand cleaner--- It did well really took the black out---finished with Hoppe's bench rest 9--soaking bore overnight and will reclean with bench rest 9 tommorow. Bench rest 9 is taking the copper out

Cisco you want gold----Nooo Poncho---Lead Lead

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    It never hurts to have some chaser rounds loaded up. Anything close to pure lead is probably a good choice for a boolit because that boolit will be sticky enough to pull lead that is not too much welded to the bore. Load chasers as softly as possible. Yes, it works good enough for a full time practice, especially between groups for load testing purposes. Beats taking cleaning equipment to the range. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I assume the bore is in pretty good shape and you have gotten all the fouling from j type bullets out. Get some JB bore paste and follow the instructions untill you have polished the bore. If you shoot j bullets make sure that all the fouling is out before shooting cast again. Then make sure you are using a good bullet lube and don't push the bullets too fast for the lead mix you are casting and this should solve most of your problems.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Best I have found is the brass ribbon scouring pads for cleaning your saucepans. Strip some of the strands out, wind them round a jag/brush, couple of licks through the bore and no more lead.

Boolit Master
    Mag1, there is a product sold by Klean Bore (not sure of the name) that they call wipe away. Sheet of yellow cloth? impregnated with something that helps remove lead. You cut off a piece and wrap it around a bore brush and scrub away. Sometimes Remclean
    which is an abrasive fluid can be used. Chore boy, copper scouring pads of which pieces can be wrapped around a bore brush works also. In really severe cases mercury can be put into a plugged bbl and leave it sit over night. But the stuff is poisonous, and can contaminate a whole house if even just a tea spoon is evaporated into the atmosphere. Best to use other means. Firing J word bullets will work, but you have to get rid of all the jacketed fouling again before using cast boolits. Frank

Boolit Mold
    My local gunsmith told me his best results are from a 50/50 mix of white viniger and peroxide... DO NOT leave in the bore more than 5 MIN. I tried it and it works great.....HTH

In Remebrance

For leading I use an old bore brush wrapped with 4/0 steel wool. For minor lead/powder/dirt fouling JB and a patch, most any solvent and a brush, all work well. For heavy jacket fouling I use "strong ammonia" available at some markets and Lowes. Don't let sit for more than 10 minutes at a time. Then clean it with solvent and oil the bore. The vinerger/hydrogen peroxide sounds like a black powder solvent I used once. Worked great. I always wanted to try one of the "Foul out" cleaners, but the chance hasn't presented itself. Some guys swear by them, some at them.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Lead in bore

Thanks guys all good info.