MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hornady 45-70 component brass

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar

Hornady 45-70 component brass

We've probably all read the internet wisdom about 45-70 brass from Hornady being to short. Well the stuff they use to load the leverlution ammo, might very well be.
    But I decided to take the chance and order some of their component brass.
    Well folks fear no more that stuff measures 2.1 inches.
    So now I need to get busy and cast some more 45 caliber bullets, I feel another medal from the nationals coming on.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Same with 444 brass

Boolit Buddy
    well hornady is going to make a killing on brass when win and rem stop supplying it if the rumours are true.
    don,
    my hornady 405 brass has turned out very well.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Bruce I have some Hornady 405 that is over 15 years old and has been reloaded dozens of times, and it's still doing just fine.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned

i've used hornady .45-70 brass, it's fine. i still prefer good ol' starline, even though it won't hold as much bp as winchester brass.

Boolit Master
    The Hornady .405 brass that I made into .38-72 has been very good stuff for many years. If all of their brass is like that, I'd not hesitate to use it.

Banned

i really like hornady brass for my lazy man rifles - .243win, 223rem, and .204ruger

ive always wondered, why did the make leverevolution brass shorter in the first place? to **** off reloaders like me who bought boxes of them when I got my marlin 1895, thinking,its cheap, and after I shoot it I have all this brass........ it still just sits around, while I use starline. I love starline!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Leverevolution brass is shorter because of the FTX slugs the brass is still useable just seat the bullet out further to meet the 2.6 overall length. I use it in both of my 45-70's 1895 marlin and 1884 Dantish rolling block

I work at an indoor range and we sort the brass left by shooters. We have found that the NICKELED .45 Colt cases are a few thousandths shorter than the yellow brass. When loading the .45 Colt we have to separate the Nickeled .45's and adjust the crimp die down so it will crimp the shorter cases.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Bub
    Not hard to get a marksman metal I have a couple, not much competition in that class and It's not the Hornady brass that will win you a metal.

Boolit Master
    It can be a problem if you flare and roll-crimp. I gave up that silliness for thumb-seating over compressed BP but since I haven't used any LeveRevolution cases since then, it's a non-issue.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Been a fan of Hornady brass for awhile. Seems Winchester and RP are indeed losing interest in the component brass market. Hornady brass is more consistent, needs less prep and seems to last longer than RP for me. Out of a bag of 100 RP brass I've had to cull as many as ten pieces for various reasons, haven't had to cull a single piece of Hornady brass or worn one out yet.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I reload the short & the long Hornady. For very wide metplate 525gr boolits a buddy drops for me I need to load them in the short cases because they won't chamber in my Guide Guns in full length brass.

I prefer Winchester Brass followed closely by Remington, Hornady and then Starline & finally Federal. That being said I have plenty of each type so no worries for me.
    http://1895gunner.com/
    Reloading | Shooting | Hunting