WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Deer Hunting with Lyman's 311672

Boolit Buddy

Deer Hunting with Lyman's 311672

I have currently come up with a very accurate load using lyman's 311672 silouette bullet.

At this point in my load development, it's far more accurate than the 311041.

My concern is the 311672 has a smaller meplat than the 041 and could possibly be less effective in a deer hunting application. Has anyone tried the 672 deer hunting or any other similar application?

I'm not giving up on the 041 yet. But so far the 672 is doing much better. Here is my current 672 load. I realize it's not a deer hunting load yet. I was just playing with unique which I already had on hand with both the 672 and the 041. 1400fps and unique is also a good cheap 100 yard target load.

Marlin 336 Micro Groove
    Alloy: Clip on wheel weights
    Mold: Lyman 311672
    Weight as Cast: 169gr
    Gator Gas Checked
    Sized: .311
    Trim Length to reloading manual spec
    Sellier and Bellot LR Primers
    COAL: As long as it I could seat the bullet and still have my rifle eject an un-fired round.
    Powder: Unique 9.7 grains
    Velocity: 1400 fps
    5 shot Groups: .5" at 50yard

I plan on working with this boolit and either BLC-2 or H4895 to work up a 1900ish-fps load for deer hunting and longer range target practice.

Boolit Master
    If the accuracy level is maintained as you increase velocity, looks like you could use that boolit and drill 'em where you wanted. What powder do you plan to go with next? 2400 might be a good choice. I've had good luck with Re-7, for accuracy at higher velocities in the .30-30
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Banned

aim for bone, shouldn't be a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    If the accuracy level is maintained as you increase velocity, looks like you could use that boolit and drill 'em where you wanted. What powder do you plan to go with next? 2400 might be a good choice. I've had good luck with Re-7, for accuracy at higher velocities in the .30-30
    I was going to try 2400, but I would like to get upto about 1900fps and that looks like above the pressure limit of 2400. So for now I'm going to start with BL-C(2). I hear around 30 grains is the magic load, but I'm going to start with 27 gr (1790fps (per Lee's MRL2nd) and go upto 33 gr (2070fps)

Boolit Master

Just food for thought; "The American buffalo was hunted almost to extinction by a 405 grain bullet moving at 1300 feet per second (and even that load went all the way through)."

I've had no problem with 150-165 grain cast bullets for deer at 1400-1500 fps; and all it was, "bang............................flop!"

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Banned

Another thing to consider is casting a few of those with soft points. Bruce started a good sticky on how to do it, it is time consuming, but you'd only need a few for hunting and the base could be the same alloy you're currently using, so no changes to the load.

I know for a fact that pure lead mushrooms well at 1400 FPS in muzzle loaders on deer, I can't see why a pure lead nose on a .30 caliber bullet wouldn't as well.

I'd keep trying with the 311041, though. That is a time proven design and I've killed deer with it. Works well.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    punch a 30 cal hole with either in the correct spot and the results will be the same, even the 211291 RN is effective on game. Yes, I like large meplat, IMHO, a hole that lets blood out and air in, threw the pump station or the plumbing connected to it, is equally effective.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

I would not aim for anything but vitals, ever. Whats been said before, you get it in the pumphouse its all over.

I know its apples and oranges but Im gettin 1400fps out of my 44 mag 7.5" barrel. I would think getting 1600 or 1700 out of that 30-30 shouldnt be too hard. Now you got me thinking and I am going to go right to my reloading books when I get home, I do have a couple 30-30's.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot